Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need help installing dash vinyl
sixaddict
post Dec 11 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

I have done this once correctly and the last time incorrectly so looking for some words of wisdom.
Installing new vinyl ( have dash out as well) ...Question is on foam.

How far toward passenger compartment does it extend. Is it best to hold short of the bump...i.e Should foam extend all the way under the dash cover or fall short. Hope ya'll understand my question...Taking a food break so any help is appreciated. Damn I hate this job ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
Terry
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Valy
post Dec 11 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Dec 11 2010, 11:32 AM) *

I have done this once correctly and the last time incorrectly so looking for some words of wisdom.
Installing new vinyl ( have dash out as well) ...Question is on foam.

How far toward passenger compartment does it extend. Is it best to hold short of the bump...i.e Should foam extend all the way under the dash cover or fall short. Hope ya'll understand my question...Taking a food break so any help is appreciated. Damn I hate this job ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
Terry

Trim the foam to the exact shape. Let only the vinyl run under the dash. Make sure it runs for about an inch under the dash.

Clean the windshield vents well before fitting the vinyl.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Dec 11 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #3

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

If I understand your question, the top cap of the dash (instrument and top front edge cover should overlap the vinyl and the foam rubber underneath. The foam and vinyl cover should come somewhere maybe 1/4th to 3/8th inch from the the front leading edge and conform to the outline of the dash edges and behind the instrument pod.

You can always leave an overlap and cut back making sure the top cover covers the edges of the foam rubber and vinyl cover material.

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Dec 11 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

Thanks for the help.
Can't believe it ...spent hours cleaning old adhesive off....Foam prematurely stuck and ripped causing me to start over (fortunately have and extraz kit......I am ill and a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Ciao

QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Dec 11 2010, 01:27 PM) *

If I understand your question, the top cap of the dash (instrument and top front edge cover should overlap the vinyl and the foam rubber underneath. The foam and vinyl cover should come somewhere maybe 1/4th to 3/8th inch from the the front leading edge and conform to the outline of the dash edges and behind the instrument pod.

You can always leave an overlap and cut back making sure the top cover covers the edges of the foam rubber and vinyl cover material.

Steve

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 07:40 AM