Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT:Busted by the city for my workshop :(, no permits......no plans....
Mueller
post May 27 2004, 05:34 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Am I going to have to pay thru the nose? Any chance I'll have to tear it down?

I recieved a "stop work" notice on our front door and just a while ago someone from the city was there taking pictures...I talked to him on the phone and it appears I am 8 sq ft too big to be building the structure without a permit, but the electrical needs a permit no matter what size the workshop/shed is.

Anyone else have this happen? The guy taking the pictures did comment that it looks nice and well built, so let's hope the other inspector and the city does not bust my @ss too bad..........
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TimT
post May 27 2004, 05:54 PM
Post #2

retired

Member No.: 313

One of your neighbors dropped a dime..(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

The city/town/county will want there permits satisfied ( permits = money)

You may have to apply for a variance for the extra area noted... and the assesed value of the property may be increased, and therefore your property taxes may increase..

Unfortunately you have to play be there rules now... cooler heads will prevail... not butting heads with the inspector goes a long way (Ive been an engineer/bridge/building/welding inspector for 25 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

Youll get through it.. it may cost you some extra bucks... and take up a bit of your time..
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 27 2004, 05:54 PM
Post #3

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 27 2004, 03:34 PM)

Anyone else have this happen?

Nope..........RTFRB (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

JPEVERYTHINGTOCODE III
+Quote Post
brant
post May 27 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I imagine its a ton tougher In CA than it is here...
but we got in minor trouble once due to a contractor not getting a permit and then he got caught on a whole years worth of jobs...

anyways a resonable amount of fees (just the cost of the permit) seemed to satisfy the city...

I do agree that playing nice with the inspector is the right thing to do...

(my motto: always show respect to building inspectors and police.. they take enough crap)

b
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post May 27 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #5

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(TimT @ May 27 2004, 06:54 PM)
One of your neighbors dropped a dime..(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Don't count on it. Even podunk, non smog check, non safety inspection, Tulsa, Okiehoma has city employees who are paid to do nothing else than drive around and look for residential additions and remodels that are not on their permit list. It's all about the cash!

Good luck, MIke

PS, If he knows you are 8 feet too big, he did a complete walk around of the site.
+Quote Post
drew365
post May 27 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #6

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

It's going to be a paper hassle, cost you some money and a lot of time, but they probably won't make you tear it down if it conforms to code and isn't infinging on your property line setbacks as called for in your zoning. Best thing to do is let everyone you deal with from the city know that you intend to play by the rules from here on out and they probably won't hang your picture in the office for dart practice.
It's starting to appear that Murphy's law may have to be renamed, Mueller's Law. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 27 2004, 06:46 PM
Post #7

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Bummer....feel yer pain....

Get a professional permit processor, the ones that hire the former City/County Inspector and planners.....give them the job and forget about it......

BTDT and got the tee shirt to prove it....
+Quote Post
jimtab
post May 27 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

While I agree that inspectors and the permit process can be a major pain in the ass and the walllet I have to disagree that the primary function of the permit process is money for the city. I would be willing to bet that no city of any real size makes dollar one in "profit" off of their permit and building inspection process. The codes are there to keep your dipshit neighbor from doing something that may even endanger you as much as him. Also, when you go to sell your house, it will be easier in case the buyers inspection may turn up non permitted construction. Just do it right, a home despot card does not impart construction knowledge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 27 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #9

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(jimtab @ May 27 2004, 08:58 PM)
Also, when you go to sell your house, it will be easier in case the buyers inspection may turn up non permitted construction

As a real estate appraiser my wife runs into this all the time.
People applying for refinance tell her about all the upgrades they did to make the house worth more. Then, when she checks it out at the town hall there is no record of the improvement. Sometimes they even lie to her and say they did get a permit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
If she gets an attitude from the homeowner she might mention it to the building official... just to be sure the town didn't misplace the paperwork of course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
There are some very good reasons for having the correct paperwork in place. For instance, if you have a house fire due to a woodstove that was installed without a permit your insurance co. won't cover the damage.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 27 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #10

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Damn, I'm glad I don't live in the city...

Last time a county inspector came by my dad ran him off and he hasn't been back.

I really feel sorry for you guys that can't "live" your life without some prick bitching...

last week i had an 8,000 RPM engine on the dyno and my neighbor over a mile away called me, bitching... Our county has no noise ordnance so when they call I just grin...

So the guy calls me up and says "That noise is so loud that I cannot hear my television, you are gonna have to do something about it" . So I did... I unhooked my baffle and took her straight to 8K, and then called him back to see if it was any better!

They call the cops, but the cops all went to high school with me and thay just drive up and watch! Its a hoot! everyone for 5 miles hates me!
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post May 27 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 366

Im my lovely town, it is all about harassement, and niosey busy bodies who have nothing better to do than tell you what you can do on your own property, becuase they do not like the the looks. here they want everyone to conform to their sense of what lloks good. keep in mind we have no restrictions on the books when we purchased house, but the god damn city tried to make all kinds of laws (and the city council is ran by realitors in this town)

They tried to ban parking of trailers, boats RV, on our own driveways (because it lowers property values they claim, no why the hell would I want to lower my properties value??) they even wanted to ban people from parking there own work trucks on there own driveways. They want to make permits required for non-major car repairs, outlaw all major car repairs, outlaw even working on a car inside your gargage 9they cited fire hazards, but when asked, could not provide one single instance of a fire from someone working on a car in the garage. They said RV s on the street endangered children who might run into the street and be hit cause the RV blocks views, but never had an instance of that on record, and even a small car is taller than a typical ten year old anyway. They wanted to ban clotheslines even. All this was proposed by a "Buetification committe" appointed by the city council. we got over 500 signitures,a nd took over the next three council meetings, so they voted it down, and then we kicked the two ringleader council members out of office the next election. I walked the beat and got 200 signatures, and when election time came along, walked the beat again to get rid of the scum.

Turns out one of the council members was a bastard realator, who would call the police to tage cars 72 hours before he would have a open house, just to get the cars moved.

dumb shit laws most of them are.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post May 27 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #12

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

The whole permit thing is a real sore spot for me.
When unlicensed contractors ( boot leggers ) run the gauntlet without permits, insurance, workmans comp, license renewal fees, etc, all it does is make the ligit guys suffer. I refuse to lower my prices to stay competitive with the lawbreaking bozos. Permitted work benefits the homeowner. Why?
For the owner, the city verifies that the work in being done to code. Who wants a temporay house? Want cheap work? Hire cheap-illegal-guy ! You always get what you pay for.
I can rant for days... But I won't. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mike, the worst that will happen to you, is they will double your fees and delay you until you straighten it out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
They will VERY unlikely make you tear it down.
You may have to open sample areas to prove compliance. If you have somehow made an error in your electrical load limits/wiring, wouldn't you rather have it caught by the inspector instead of the local fire dept with hoses roaring?

BIG advice to all in dealing with inspectors is this: "Yes, sir. Thank you, sir " They get to be the big boss while you look at them for their five minutes.

BTW, I used to boot leg myself...USED to. BE cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

FYI: only homeowners or licensed contractors can pull a building permit. Don't believe a boot legger. The job copy of the permit MUST be posted on site until final inspection is signed off.

As far as getting caught, the inspectors are in all of our nieghborhoods looking at legit jobs regularly. When they see a new job they can look at the database and find that no permit exists. You'll see city cars all the time.

Play by the rules. Be happy . Sleep well.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 27 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #13

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Lose the 8 feet mike and the problem goes away.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post May 27 2004, 08:11 PM
Post #14

neo life

Member No.: 159

In San Jose 5 years ago a 10'x12' structure was ok w/o permits. Get creative and claim an awning or porch for the unpermitted part. Then bolt on temporary panels/walls later. There are grey areas in the code. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I'm surprised someone with CAD capabilities doesn't have plans.
Felix
+Quote Post
914gem
post May 27 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 89

The only thing thats been a big fuss around here is they tried to make everybody get rid of their chickens, cows, horses, and pigs out of their back yard. The new rule is if your kin to someone that is in school you can keep them for educational purposes. To build a building it cost $15.00 for a permit, 7 ft from your fence line, and pay Mr lewis $25.00 for inspection. I hope everything works out for you without a big fuss and extra cash on your part.
+Quote Post
URY914
post May 27 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #16

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

As a contractor I could go on and on about inspectors and permits but you need to suck it up and play by the rules. They may charge you 2x or 3x the permit fee as a fine, than you'll have to bring it up to code.

Don't try to get out of it, just go down to the Building Dept with your hat in your hand and tail 'tween your legs and ask for help. (take them some donuts too,)

Paul
+Quote Post
swood
post May 27 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 251

I got two love letters from the City because my trash cans were in view.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post May 27 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #18

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

I got taged when I moved in here. Switched a door and window around. New stairs. Inspector said you need a permit. I played dumb. Told him I thought I owned the house not the city. $50 later permit in hand, never saw them again.
+Quote Post
airsix
post May 28 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #19

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 27 2004, 05:22 PM)
everyone for 5 miles hates me!

Jake, things must get better with the distance because out here in WA state I think you're all right.

And Mike,
My Dad's a civil engineer - been around the block a few times when it comes to dealing with municipalities. One thing he taught me was "You can't fight city hall." and that's the truth. I've watched them stall a developer into bankrupcy because he didn't act humble enough. (insert Cartman "Respet ma authoritah!" soundbite) Unfortunately when it comes to local governmnets you've got to kiss butt to have any chance of coming out alive. Try to rebel and they'll make you suffer. It's some kind of "I didn't finish school and have low self esteem, but I've got this county job and a little authority so I'm going to make you do what I say or I'm going to stick it to you." attitude. Three or so years ago the city brought the hammer down on a long-time city-council member because he replaced his own water-heater without a permit. Good freakin greaf. It's a simple appliance for crying out loud. This guy was a real conservative and was known as the city watchdog/whistleblower. He was a great councilman if you were a citizen, but a PITA for the local government. So they rairoaded this poor old guy. Really chapped my hide. I always meant to write him a letter of give him a call but he died shortly after that. Dang it, now I'm all pissed off again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Anyway, my point is RUN, don't walk to go get those permits. Do whatever it takes to let them know you are all about full compliance. As soon as they see that you "Respet" their "authoritah" they'll most likely give you their merciful and benevolent blessing (thick taxpayer sarcasm).

-Ben M. (Me? I try to pre-fab most of my stuff and then put it up in the dark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )
+Quote Post
wheelo
post May 28 2004, 01:22 AM
Post #20

Dude

Member No.: 1,818

My Dad & I built a patio cover many years ago in So-Cal, some ACC member reported us, and... we had to bust-up the patio, to re-set the 4x4's ! The structure was about 10" too close to the easement !
Funny thing was, that the"Real"neighbors, didn't give a rat's ass... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
It's all-about CYA these days... Hang -in-there...
You renegade,(Mike), We give you an "A" for effort.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 04:43 AM