Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Many of you Americans, Saluted the Flag
Toast
post Jun 1 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #1

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

How many of you Americans saluted the American flag, or said the Pledge of Allegiance, or sang an Amerian patriotic song on Memorial Day?
Or, better yet, when was the last time you did one of those things?

There is a flag in front of my work (finally!) that I salute every day and occasionaly say the National Anthem.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 1 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

I SANG along with the National anthem......on the TeeVee when watching the game(s)..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I say the Pledge when I stay with the kids for awhile at school before work....
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jun 1 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #3

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

We had a flag-raising ceremony and playing of the national anthem at the start of our Memorial Day autocross.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
eresener
post Jun 1 2004, 01:12 PM
Post #4

Dr. Sawsall

Member No.: 1,252

Toast,
We fly the American and the POW-MIA flags everyday...at my home...weather permitting. Since we home school our children...we say the pledge every morning...and we teach them to be proud of each and every soldier that protects our country....and that it is an honor and duty of every American to do so.

Ed

Pleiku, RVN "69"
+Quote Post
indydad
post Jun 1 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 578

Anyone that has been to INDY has felt that patrotic feeling during the pre-race festivities. It is awesome! Enough to make a grown man(and verteran) cry.
Old Dad in INDY
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 1 2004, 01:29 PM
Post #6

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580

Ed,
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) , (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) . Good for you and thank you.

I would have to say that my favorite opening American ceramony would have to be at the Supercross events. I cry everytime!
+Quote Post
AlexO
post Jun 1 2004, 01:32 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 482

I just wanted to post a quick thank you to you all. The patriotism here never ceases to amaze me. When sending care packages to our brothers in Iraq came up, you all answered faster than a $10 group buy for coilovers. I'm on my way to Iraq sometime in June, and I appriciate the support. I'll keep reading all the posts here (yes, I've been a lurker) as I'm buying another teener when I get home. And I do pass along all the support to my fellow Marines. It doesn't go unnoticed, and we do appriciate it. Thanks again.
--Alex, U.S.M.C.
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jun 1 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #8

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

You know.... I must admit, I do have a few problems with some of the actions the US government has recently made happen....... but....

As a 10 year AF veteran, I'm still in the AF because I want to be, and because I know that America is the greatest country in the world.

Your patriotism is greatly appreciated by all Active military members, especially this one.

Matt (SSgt, USAF)
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jun 1 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #9

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884

I am a proud member of A.M.F.A. local 11. We say the pledge at the start of every union mtg. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) This is something that was unheard of in our old union IBT local 19 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jun 1 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #10

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

Hey - help me understand how the union works better - do you have to be part of the union to take part in your chosen profession? What is the AMFA?
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jun 1 2004, 04:55 PM
Post #11

hooked on grilling food.

QUOTE(fiid @ Jun 1 2004, 01:59 PM)
Hey - help me understand how the union works better - do you have to be part of the union to take part in your chosen profession?  What is the AMFA?

Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association ... There are some Airlines that are non union like Delta. But I am at Southwest Airlines and we are one of the most unionized Airlines so they say. I think it is a necessary evil to have in this industry. We voted out the IBT after we had problems with what they were taking out for dues. It was not the amount called for in their constitution but much more. I was going to be giving them over $100 a month (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) and we had no representation from our local so we voted them out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pissoff.gif) It was like1100 to 50 to get rid of them. But union problems are for another forum...this is for stuff I like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jun 1 2004, 05:17 PM
Post #12

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

Wow. $100/mo is serious cash.

Interesting stuff. You had to vote another union out in order to join the AMFA?
I don't have much of a background on how this stuff works here. (Being from the UK originally.)
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jun 1 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #13

hooked on grilling food.

QUOTE(fiid @ Jun 1 2004, 03:17 PM)
Wow. $100/mo is serious cash.

Interesting stuff. You had to vote another union out in order to join the AMFA?
I don't have much of a background on how this stuff works here. (Being from the UK originally.)

Yea we fall under the Railway Labor laws and have to mess with the National Mediation Board. Its a real pain in the butt.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 1 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #14

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

"we fall under the Railway Labor laws". Well blow me down and bite my butt! What happened to the days when A&P and A&E belonged to the transport workers union? Did I sleep too long? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jun 1 2004, 05:40 PM
Post #15

hooked on grilling food.

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 1 2004, 03:28 PM)
"we fall under the Railway Labor laws". Well blow me down and bite my butt! What happened to the days when A&P and A&E belonged to the transport workers union? Did I sleep too long? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Airlines fall under the Railway Labor Act because they are considered a critical national industry. Because if you shut down an airline you theoretically could disrupt the economy also the mail and comerce in general. The TWU is just another industrial union that represants some airline workers. American Airlines mechanics come to mind because they are voting to drop them and go to AMFA. They also have our Flight Atendants and have been trying to get a new contract for over two years. Unions just do not have the power or respect they once enjoyed. Any way lets get back to cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Jun 1 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #16

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

Not only did I salute I sang the anthem and drove over to see the carrier I was stationed on that had since been decommissioned. Sadest thing I've ever seen, a carrier tied to a pier and being able to hear the water slapping the hull. Around an "active" carrier you can barely hear yourself think standing on the same pier.

My best to all!!

Mike D.
+Quote Post
lmcchesney
post Jun 1 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,381

The American Flag has adorned the front door of our homes since our first one. My sons are Eagle and two Life Scouts and yes we do say the pledge and anthemium frequently. Yes, I still get a lump and tear when I see and hear the nation homaged. America is very much like our 914's. It and they are not perfect, and always in need of attention, but would you have another.
I remember being in Task Force Delta with the Marines and isolated, no mail, no communications with the outside. Thus, my family sends care packages and just letters of hello to our heros now. God bless us durning this time of war. We must hold each other together an do what is right.
L. McC
+Quote Post
scotty
post Jun 1 2004, 09:30 PM
Post #18

The Fun Never Stops

Member No.: 718

Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veteran's Day. It goes up at 0800 and comes down at sunset.

When the mood hits me, I have done this to appropriate (recorded) Navy bugle calls (in memory of my uncle, a Marine).

I also have been know to play "The Star Spangled Banner" on the 4th and "Solidarity Forever" on labor day.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Jun 1 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #19

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

We are not permitted to display our colors here, by order of the CG. That includes hoisted in public or displayed in the work/living areas. Allegedly, only an "occupying force" raises it's colors in another nation. That "rule" came down in February, in fear of offending Iraqis. It ruffled a lot of feathers.

Of course... I didn't say that the flag wasn't displayed privately on Memorial Day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

-Lawrence
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jun 1 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Lawrence, out of curiosity, what's your MOS? I was in for 12 years. Got as far as doing the 30 days at the NTC for desert warefare training, but then things settled down. Got out in 94. Most of my time was spent in the Infantry. 11C 11H and 19D as a platoon leader. Guess that's a real fine line you guys have to walk over there. Hope things settle down soon. Thanks again for your dedication and commitment.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:15 PM