Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Differences btwn 914 and 914-6 transaxles?, the tail shifters
Cairo94507
post Jun 18 2011, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

OK, I know the 914-6 came with a 914/01 transaxle that was of course a tail-shifter. I know the 4 cylinder cars came with a tail-shifter too, but not a 914/01.

What was the difference between the two other than the serial number?

I have a non-six transaxle in my car and I believe I want to find an original six transaxle for my car and then have it rebuilt with the proper gearing for a 3.2 street driven car. I also want to upgrade to a nice shifter system to make driving more enjoyable. JWest shifter? I already know their shift linkage assemblies are no longer available.

Should I then have the six transaxle converted to a side shifter?

Should I just use all stock six shifting hardware, rods, etc. with the exception of the shifter assemble itself?

Should it remain a tail shifter or would I be better served to convert to a side shifter? (I would keep the original tail shifter stuff just in case).

I really don't have a clue but know that I want to do this right the first time and not regret spending $XXXX and then changing to a completely different system later.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions and/or personal experience.
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 18 2011, 11:15 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

gearing and the tail cover. Dont sweat the 914/01 it wont be Origonal anway.

I be better served to convert to a side shifter? (I would keep the original tail shifter stuff just in case).

Go for it.

ticktockticktock 50 plus better get on it. I am in the same boat. Jeff
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jun 18 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

Acording to the factory shop manuals, 914-4 has A- F- -N- V- ZD gears while a six came with A- GA- O- V- ZA

+Quote Post
larryM
post Jun 18 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #4

emoze

Member No.: 65

BTDT - it is simpler to just go buy a sideshifter

& don't worry about the gear ratios - you will just lose about 3-5 mph on the straight at Thunderhill by running a late sideshift - and I never could get over 100 there anyway, so it was irrelevant

- you will need to also get the entire late shifter, rods, etc, and a adaptor bush for the firewall, (i have 2 sets if ya need one)

AND - importantly - a special-made aft shift rod - GPR used to make & sell these, and I have had one in my car since it started racing in the early 90's;

worst case - I successfully bent & twisted a stock late style aft rod a long time ago to make it fit around the exhaust, and I still have it in the shed - no work of art, but it worked

regarding the oem sixer tailshifter - I had a lot of trouble with the puny lever that goes up into the trans - it ain't a very strong component, and more than once i found myself under the car manually shifting into 3rd so I could limp it home back in the '8o's

LarryM

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 18 2011, 08:47 AM) *

OK, I know the 914-6 came with a 914/01 transaxle that was of course a tail-shifter. I know the 4 cylinder cars came with a tail-shifter too, but not a 914/01.

I have a non-six transaxle in my car and I believe I want to find an original six transaxle for my car and then have it rebuilt with the proper gearing for a 3.2 street driven car. I also want to upgrade to a nice shifter system to make driving more enjoyable. JWest shifter? I already know their shift linkage assemblies are no longer available.

Should I then have the six transaxle converted to a side shifter?

Should I just use all stock six shifting hardware, rods, etc. with the exception of the shifter assemble itself?

Should it remain a tail shifter or would I be better served to convert to a side shifter? (I would keep the original tail shifter stuff just in case).

I really don't have a clue but know that I want to do this right the first time and not regret spending $XXXX and then changing to a completely different system later.

Michael :popcorn:

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 19 2011, 09:52 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 19 2011, 10:25 AM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Yea the 6 has a lower 5th gear, which translates to higher cooling fan speeds for the 2.0 6. I had a stock 4 cyl side shifter with my 3.0 and (for me anyway) the gearing was perfect.

I make conversion shift rods for 6 conversions, but it's not rocket scienct. There is a bend and angle to it that makes a difference from just a straight bar that some people have sold, and FWIW I made a bunch of shift rods for Dave at GPR back in the 90's.
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jun 19 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #7

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you can get/borrow a copy of the Tramission rebuild video that Dr. Evil and I did, he shows the difference in the tail cone.
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 19 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #8

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i think root werks built a jig to redo the side sifter bar. he's done some for people
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jun 19 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #9

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

I agree with sixnotfour. you will regret keeping any remnants of tail shifter. I think a 3.2 would be hapier with taller -4 gearing

I would go side shifter with a jwest. the upgraded linkage joints have no play makes for nice positive shifting feel
+Quote Post
dion9146
post Jun 20 2011, 05:16 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,071

I'm running a stock 4 side suffer with a 3.2 and have no complaints at all. I only use 1st gear on a hill, and for street gearing I think it's fine.

FWIW, if you get the right shift rod, bushings, and a well built tranny, your car should shift fine. I have zero complaints about how my car shifts, and for me anyway, upgrading to a $500+ shifter is a waste of money.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jun 20 2011, 06:27 AM
Post #11

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460

diff cover?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 20 2011, 07:23 AM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

you are correct Jim , however the 914-6 does not utilize the cable guide as do the 70-71 901 pull clutch cars do.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 02:04 PM