Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differences btwn 914 and 914-6 transaxles?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
OK, I know the 914-6 came with a 914/01 transaxle that was of course a tail-shifter. I know the 4 cylinder cars came with a tail-shifter too, but not a 914/01.

What was the difference between the two other than the serial number?

I have a non-six transaxle in my car and I believe I want to find an original six transaxle for my car and then have it rebuilt with the proper gearing for a 3.2 street driven car. I also want to upgrade to a nice shifter system to make driving more enjoyable. JWest shifter? I already know their shift linkage assemblies are no longer available.

Should I then have the six transaxle converted to a side shifter?

Should I just use all stock six shifting hardware, rods, etc. with the exception of the shifter assemble itself?

Should it remain a tail shifter or would I be better served to convert to a side shifter? (I would keep the original tail shifter stuff just in case).

I really don't have a clue but know that I want to do this right the first time and not regret spending $XXXX and then changing to a completely different system later.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions and/or personal experience.
Michael popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour

gearing and the tail cover. Dont sweat the 914/01 it wont be Origonal anway.

I be better served to convert to a side shifter? (I would keep the original tail shifter stuff just in case).

Go for it.

ticktockticktock 50 plus better get on it. I am in the same boat. Jeff
toolguy
Acording to the factory shop manuals, 914-4 has A- F- -N- V- ZD gears while a six came with A- GA- O- V- ZA

larryM
BTDT - it is simpler to just go buy a sideshifter

& don't worry about the gear ratios - you will just lose about 3-5 mph on the straight at Thunderhill by running a late sideshift - and I never could get over 100 there anyway, so it was irrelevant

- you will need to also get the entire late shifter, rods, etc, and a adaptor bush for the firewall, (i have 2 sets if ya need one)

AND - importantly - a special-made aft shift rod - GPR used to make & sell these, and I have had one in my car since it started racing in the early 90's;

worst case - I successfully bent & twisted a stock late style aft rod a long time ago to make it fit around the exhaust, and I still have it in the shed - no work of art, but it worked

regarding the oem sixer tailshifter - I had a lot of trouble with the puny lever that goes up into the trans - it ain't a very strong component, and more than once i found myself under the car manually shifting into 3rd so I could limp it home back in the '8o's

LarryM

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 18 2011, 08:47 AM) *

OK, I know the 914-6 came with a 914/01 transaxle that was of course a tail-shifter. I know the 4 cylinder cars came with a tail-shifter too, but not a 914/01.

I have a non-six transaxle in my car and I believe I want to find an original six transaxle for my car and then have it rebuilt with the proper gearing for a 3.2 street driven car. I also want to upgrade to a nice shifter system to make driving more enjoyable. JWest shifter? I already know their shift linkage assemblies are no longer available.

Should I then have the six transaxle converted to a side shifter?

Should I just use all stock six shifting hardware, rods, etc. with the exception of the shifter assemble itself?

Should it remain a tail shifter or would I be better served to convert to a side shifter? (I would keep the original tail shifter stuff just in case).

I really don't have a clue but know that I want to do this right the first time and not regret spending $XXXX and then changing to a completely different system later.

Michael :popcorn:

Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
IronHillRestorations
Yea the 6 has a lower 5th gear, which translates to higher cooling fan speeds for the 2.0 6. I had a stock 4 cyl side shifter with my 3.0 and (for me anyway) the gearing was perfect.

I make conversion shift rods for 6 conversions, but it's not rocket scienct. There is a bend and angle to it that makes a difference from just a straight bar that some people have sold, and FWIW I made a bunch of shift rods for Dave at GPR back in the 90's.
Cupomeat
If you can get/borrow a copy of the Tramission rebuild video that Dr. Evil and I did, he shows the difference in the tail cone.
messix
i think root werks built a jig to redo the side sifter bar. he's done some for people
sean_v8_914
I agree with sixnotfour. you will regret keeping any remnants of tail shifter. I think a 3.2 would be hapier with taller -4 gearing

I would go side shifter with a jwest. the upgraded linkage joints have no play makes for nice positive shifting feel
dion9146
I'm running a stock 4 side suffer with a 3.2 and have no complaints at all. I only use 1st gear on a hill, and for street gearing I think it's fine.

FWIW, if you get the right shift rod, bushings, and a well built tranny, your car should shift fine. I have zero complaints about how my car shifts, and for me anyway, upgrading to a $500+ shifter is a waste of money.
jimkelly
diff cover?
sixnotfour
you are correct Jim , however the 914-6 does not utilize the cable guide as do the 70-71 901 pull clutch cars do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.