Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Differences btwn 914 and 914-6 transaxles?, the tail shifters
Cairo94507
post Jun 18 2011, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

OK, I know the 914-6 came with a 914/01 transaxle that was of course a tail-shifter. I know the 4 cylinder cars came with a tail-shifter too, but not a 914/01.

What was the difference between the two other than the serial number?

I have a non-six transaxle in my car and I believe I want to find an original six transaxle for my car and then have it rebuilt with the proper gearing for a 3.2 street driven car. I also want to upgrade to a nice shifter system to make driving more enjoyable. JWest shifter? I already know their shift linkage assemblies are no longer available.

Should I then have the six transaxle converted to a side shifter?

Should I just use all stock six shifting hardware, rods, etc. with the exception of the shifter assemble itself?

Should it remain a tail shifter or would I be better served to convert to a side shifter? (I would keep the original tail shifter stuff just in case).

I really don't have a clue but know that I want to do this right the first time and not regret spending $XXXX and then changing to a completely different system later.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions and/or personal experience.
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 12:40 PM