Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smoked Tail Light Lenses
racerbvd
post Nov 20 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 226
Region Association: None

Anyone know where to get em?? Phil had a set, but not sure what happened to them or where he got them, I'm leaning that direction for my 76...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Nov 20 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

The plastic is kinda tough on your lungs...

You can get a dark tinted poly clear and spray an old set. There was a thread years back here on clearing lenses.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 20 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Why would you want to make your tail and brake lights LESS easily seen?

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
RickS
post Nov 20 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,880

Cap'n it's because they are kuhl. Kuhl has never gotten in the way of safety. As a for instance, I have a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDi and people on the VW BB are just falling all over themselves to eliminate the day time running lights - a proven accident reducer. I can only scratch my head.

These kind of situations I call the Darwin Principal. (Hell I even added a third brake light under the targa bar to be even better seen - and statistically they cut rear enders by - I believe an additional 30% if memory serves me.) Who wants a classic hit?

Now to aid and abet our Racer friend, there is a product called NightShades which comes in a rattle can from your local Pep Boyz or whatever. It sprays a splatter pattern and you can add as little or much as you want - legality aside - for that smoked out look. I would recommend uprating your bulbs if you go this route with either real smoked or faux smoked.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 20 2011, 01:46 PM) *

Why would you want to make your tail and brake lights LESS easily seen?

The Cap'n

+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Nov 21 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Someone produced em, not rattle can and there is a LED red light kit, and with that kit they were as bright Red as standard 914 tail lights..
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Nov 22 2011, 09:01 AM
Post #6

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

In Japan this is popular with young people for motorbikes and Japanese sports or drift cars. You can buy a spary and use that...and I have seen another person who used this kind of film that you apply with a hair dryer....if you need smoked lenses the best bet would be to talk to Mikey 914 (Mark at 914Rubber) and see if he can specially make a batch...he has clear and other colors and he might be able to make a small run and others may want them too
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Nov 22 2011, 09:22 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Nov 22 2011, 08:01 AM) *

In Japan this is popular with young people for motorbikes and Japanese sports or drift cars. You can buy a spary and use that...and I have seen another person who used this kind of film that you apply with a hair dryer....if you need smoked lenses the best bet would be to talk to Mikey 914 (Mark at 914Rubber) and see if he can specially make a batch...he has clear and other colors and he might be able to make a small run and others may want them too

clear was another thought, but not into Rice, for some reason, I'm just kind of drawn to the smoked look for the white car.. Course, not like it is hard to change out the lenses..
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Nov 22 2011, 09:28 AM
Post #8

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

Seriously, you should talk to Mark (Mikey914) and he may be able to arrange that, the moulds would be the same just need to do something with the colors. Who knows, others may be interested too and you could be the prototype owner who does the test work and reports back how they are.

White with black lenses would be cool...I have a silver car and am thinking about the clear or white lenses.

Cheers
----------

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Nov 23 2011, 12:22 AM) *

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Nov 22 2011, 08:01 AM) *

clear was another thought, but not into Rice, for some reason, I'm just kind of drawn to the smoked look for the white car.. Course, not like it is hard to change out the lenses..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:07 AM