Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 vs. 914-4...Your opinion
Joshporsche
post Oct 22 2004, 08:07 AM
Post #1

914 addiction

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,408

Hey guys! I'm sure this has been hashed out a million times here, but i was just wondering how it feels to have a powerful 914-6. I own a totaled 2.0 and it's stock. Wrecked it right after high school. (good tires are important!!!) Interesting enough-my friend owned a 1998 454 suburban and my 914 was exactly as fast as it all the way to 98 mph when the suburban's governor kicked in. Here's my question-how fast is a regular 914-6? What car (speed wise) does it compare to? I understand all 914-6's will be different-but i would like to know about yours. Let me know your thoughts!

Josh
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skline
post Oct 22 2004, 08:17 AM
Post #2

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I dont have a 6 to tell you about, but I can tell you the 6 had a lot more torque and would get there a lot quicker. Not so much faster to speak of but a lot quicker. It would probably go about 10 to 25 MPH faster than a 4 and get there a lot faster. Speaking stock to stock that is.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Oct 22 2004, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Having owned both a stock 2.0/6 and 2.0/4... The 4 is quicker around an autocross course. It carries less weight in the engine compartment.

Would I trade my /6 for a 2.0/4? Nope. Sixes rock... even small sixes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
d914
post Oct 22 2004, 08:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

I have a realatively stock 2.0-4 and a 2.5-6 that was a street car. Not exactly a fair comparision. The 6 kicks ass. The four is fun. Jake will be here shortly with a four that can probably kick my ass, but the sound of a small six reving up to 7k is a wonderful thing along with the allure of the porsche 6. Now the bad side, Sixes cost MONEY... Rebuilds will cost your first born male child... A jake 4 will cost as much as a six up front but will cost less in rebuilds. A low milage 3.2 seems to be a nice comprimise, fuel injection, computer controlled, long life, stock hp over 200, lots of tq.....

Depending on budget, suspension, TIRES, a jake like four and you have a car that will take years for you to grow into its potential.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Oct 22 2004, 08:31 AM
Post #5

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

The stock six also has different gearing.....
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Oct 22 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4

if you are talking 0-60 and 1/4 times I think a stock 914-6 is comparable to a ford focus and many other modern commuter mom cars.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 22 2004, 08:33 AM
Post #7

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

This is such a hot topic that I added a page on my site all aboiut the six conversion and another about the V8 conversion.

all my graphs for the MassIVe Type IVs are not up yet and I still need to finish one page but you can view it here.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/914.htm

Enjoy
+Quote Post
drew365
post Oct 22 2004, 08:45 AM
Post #8

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

If you're talking about just for the street I have little experience. Here's my experience with track cars: I run a 2.7 twin plug 6, my friend runs a 2.0/4. He is usually only 1 to 2 seconds off my pace on big tracks like Willow Springs and Laguna Seca, so he is very quick. In nearly 3 years of racing I've never done any engine work, not even changed the plugs because they still look good. He pulls his engine to do some kind of repair just about every event. He's gone through more sets of heads than I can remember. I'm sure if he had one of Jakes creations the story might be different, but generally speaking a 6 that's set up right will give you loads of reliability and smiles. I enjoy resting between sessions while he runs around with a jack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 22 2004, 08:59 AM
Post #9

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I don't find that much difference in a stock six and a good 2.0l fout UNTIL 5000 rpms. The six starts really coming on while its all over for the four banger.

A 3.2 six is another animal and its like having a liteweight rocket engine in the car.

Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 22 2004, 09:22 AM
Post #10

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Both are great for different reasons, I drove a 2.0 4 for almost 30 years but always was looking to get more power out of it, but if I was looking for a nice street and highway cruiser and gas millage was a concern I would stick with a pure stock fuel injected 2.0.

I use my car more for fun and around town errands but enjoy the thrill of a blast onto the highway. I have always looked to the 930 Turbo Carrera as the benchmark for the performance I was looking to achieve. It would be tough to get that 300 plus hp performance out of a 4 regardless of the 100lbs lighter factor.

As far as costs, I consider my car the same as owning a 911.

In 30 years of owning and driving a 914 I put less than 90,000 miles on it.

If I take very good care of my 40,000 mile turbocharged 3.0 six, It should see many years of driving before it sees that expensive rebuild.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Oct 22 2004, 09:27 AM
Post #11

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

I have had a 3.0 six with 964 cams, webers,915 trans. Faster than you need to go. I have a 305 V8 914, 4 speed trans, Holley projection, faster than you need to go. Not a perfect AX car but lots of power. I have a 2.4 six, Zenith carbs, stock 5 speed trans, 5 lug. Much more drivable and fun. Great for AX and street. I have a big 4, Dells,big flares 17" five lug wheels. Stock 5 speed trans. Lots of fun to drive, not as fast as any of the other cars, but you aren't going to get in trouble as quick.
CCLINCAMPCOMPARISION
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 22 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #12

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

I have had stock 1.7's 2.0's, most of them FI 914's that made great drivers, but not much power. The problem I have with building a large 4cyl is the noise factor. When you usually open up something like that, you usually hear all carbs and exhaust. not for me. I have had 914-6's with 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 and 2.7 engines. Those 911 engines were all stock and nice and quiet. None ever gave me any troubles either. Very solid engines.

I would think it is your tastes. Any 914 is worth the effort IMO.

Right now I am running a 73' 914-6 with a 2.2T engine. Great flat power band, easy, easy, easy to drive. Not loud, stock air cleaner, no carb noise. We have taken it on quite a few trips and love it. Great comprise at 26mpg hwy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 22 2004, 01:27 PM
Post #13

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

If you're gonna be happy with 150 hp, get one of Jakes motors
.....I'll forgive Jake the bias shown on *his* website (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If you want more, get a 6er.

Neither option is cheep.

If ya want a V8, get a Vette.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 22 2004, 03:09 PM
Post #14

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

JP,
I even admit to the bias right there on the site AND make the statement that if it rubs you the wrong way- it just does.... Thats why it is on my site.

I added that statement just for a certain few individuals......

Like I say on the site, I'd take a V8 over a six- if your gonna cut and weld may as well get all the power you can!

BTW Reliable HP doesn't stop at 150 ponies.... I can do 180 reliably without Nickies, or 200 with Nickies...

Got 9 of them on the road (in 914s) with 190+ and nothing but positive results. They run cooler head temps than a stock 2.0
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Oct 22 2004, 03:33 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Someone awhile back posted the dyno results for a 2.0 six. I don't remember if he posted the dyno charts but my 2056 made more peak power than his. I wouldn't mind comparing the dyno charts to see what really happens but maybe later.

"Faster" is a relative term. I can take a four cylinder civc and blow your doors off in a straight line and on some race tracks for half as much money. Does it make cool noises like the six, NO.

A found can go faster than a six at the track but it will be much harder. On the street they both have good and bad points.

I would agree with Jake and either go with a four or V8 (which is what my street car will bring). If you have an original six car for really cheap OK, but I wouldn't convert if it were me.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 22 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #16

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Jake is that with KitCarlson Injection or can we expect even higher numbers? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Just wondering

BTW, the new site looks good, passed the info onto a bud, who I will be helping put togther a PCA GT5s car this spring. He is flopping on the motors. What can I say I like to weld (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) and fab stuff, driving is only part of the fun.

But he is the driver and flips the bills for the parts so he will get what he chooses, I will educate him, and do my job put the stuff in.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 22 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #17

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 22 2004, 01:33 PM)
Someone awhile back posted the dyno results for a 2.0 six. I don't remember if he posted the dyno charts but my 2056 made more peak power than his. I wouldn't mind comparing the dyno charts to see what really happens but maybe later.

"Faster" is a relative term. I can take a four cylinder civc and blow your doors off in a straight line and on some race tracks for half as much money. Does it make cool noises like the six, NO.

A found can go faster than a six at the track but it will be much harder. On the street they both have good and bad points.

I would agree with Jake and either go with a four or V8 (which is what my street car will bring). If you have an original six car for really cheap OK, but I wouldn't convert if it were me.

Alright, both of you (Jake), I am sure you have both converted 914's into 914-6's right? Otherwise you wouldn't have such stong opinions on them, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) :finger2: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Oct 22 2004, 04:03 PM
Post #18

retired

Member No.: 313

A 3.2 six is another animal and its like having a liteweight rocket engine in the car.

hehehe even more so with a warmed over 3.2 and short gears (IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif)
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Oct 22 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #19

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

I am loving my Jake built 2270 TYPE IV. The power is good, always plenty of power in every gear to accelerate away from traffic. With the front mount oil cooler temps have not even been an issue. The engine revs fast and pulls hard.

I have no experience with a 914-6 but my Boxster has the latest 2.7 liter 6 and I can say that when the VarioCam kicks in from 4,000 to 7,000 RPM the rush is awesome. Just the "feeling" from that type of six could sway me.

Luckily I don't have to worry about being swayed when it comes to my 914. The 2270 Jake built to last and is even smoother and quieter after the first valve adjustment at Stuttgart Southwest with Jake on Tech-Support duty (THANKS JAKE!).

I will admit that the induction roar of the carbs does get a bit old and can make the car feel more coarse and less refined (especially if you are used to driving a 914 with F.I.). It is not a big issue but worth considering, especially if you wanted to use a 914 as a daily driver.

The only other downside of a big four has been the annual AZ smog test. It took quite a bit of tuning by Patrick Motorsport to get it to pass and then they had to try to reset everything to how Jake had it set-up to run best... dobtfull if it is tuned as well as when it left Jake's shop. Quite a few hours of labor to get a pass. I think a switch to a good electronic ignition would make it easier to pass. F.I. would make it a breeze.

All in all I am very happy with the 2270 and I am sure I will be happier as the miles add up.

P.S. Jake, I am finishing my interior install and getting everything ready for Phoenix Flight. I'll take plenty of pics at Phoenix Flight and get something together to post on your site as a testimonial. I am a very satisfied customer.
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Oct 22 2004, 05:31 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 178

There aint nothing like a six.

And...........

I disagree with rebuild costs of a six vs. a high power 4.

A well built six will need to be gone through about every 175,000 miles or so and will cost about $5k to $6k to rebuild right.

I'd be surprised if a hot-rodded 4 makes it past 75,000 miles, and will cost almost as much to rebuild.

I loved type 4s, until I drove a car with a flat six porsche engine.

no offense.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 09:46 AM