Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Moral Dilemma
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 27 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

I've got a bit of an issue I'd like your opinion on. Awhile back I had to order my race suit, nomex, etc for a September race. The supplier bent over backwards to get me a good deal on the suit and get it shipped to me early enough to be able to try it out at a DE next week. She has been in communication with me and sent me the suit yesterday, so I should be all set. However, I never sent her payment. I fully intended to, but I think she was more worried about getting it out in time and never asked or sent me an invoice.

I need to say that I've lived my life in such a way that I never want to owe anyone anything when I leave this world. I've always paid my way and never asked for charity. Many people have reached out to help me, including many of you (thank you), over the years and refused payment even when I offered.

That being said, I am stretching my meager college budget to the limit with masters courses, an engagement, the 914 and my young-and-dumb racing dream. This suit is a significant investment for me, and needless to say, keeping that money in my pocket wouldn't hurt, fiancially speaking.

This supplier is, from what I understand, a small family business, which makes me feel even more guilty. I know that there are many of you who are in a similar situation. If a customer received goods from you and you didn't ask them for payment, how would you feel if they contacted you to let you know? Is the ball in my court on this one? Should I just wait to get the suit first, see what I think, and then contact her?

Thanks for your opinion!

-George
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Jul 27 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

you really need to ask this question?
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 27 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #3

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

You should have just asked me to Borrow a suit.

Attached Image

I would Pay Her Now
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 27 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You need to pay. When you ordered it, you entered an oral contract. Chances are there will be an invoice in the box but regardless, you need to pay.

I have sent parts out to people without an invoice and they have done the same for me. If your word is no good, what's a piece of paper?
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 27 2012, 10:23 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Man, now I feel awful. T.C., you know me, I don't ask for handouts and those are collector pieces. But I do appreciate the offer.

I will contact her this afternoon. Please don't think I'm a bad guy. I let my fiance and her demands for a ring get in my head. Forgive me for asking such a stupid question.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jul 27 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

Would you really want that kind of Karma as you head onto a race track? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
messix
post Jul 27 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #7

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 27 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

... now I wish this thread would go away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
beech4rd
post Jul 27 2012, 10:42 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,445
Region Association: North East States

" I let my fiance and her demands for a ring get in my head. "

This is the start of a long and slippery slope.
Nomex suit? Engagement Ring? Nomex suit? Engagement ring?
NOMEX SUIT!!!!!!!

Doesn't bode well.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jul 27 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #10

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 27 2012, 09:06 AM) *

I've got a bit of an issue I'd like your opinion on. Awhile back I had to order my race suit, nomex, etc for a September race. The supplier bent over backwards to get me a good deal on the suit and get it shipped to me early enough to be able to try it out at a DE next week. She has been in communication with me and sent me the suit yesterday, so I should be all set. However, I never sent her payment. I fully intended to, but I think she was more worried about getting it out in time and never asked or sent me an invoice.

I need to say that I've lived my life in such a way that I never want to owe anyone anything when I leave this world. I've always paid my way and never asked for charity. Many people have reached out to help me, including many of you (thank you), over the years and refused payment even when I offered.

That being said, I am stretching my meager college budget to the limit with masters courses, an engagement, the 914 and my young-and-dumb racing dream. This suit is a significant investment for me, and needless to say, keeping that money in my pocket wouldn't hurt, fiancially speaking.

This supplier is, from what I understand, a small family business, which makes me feel even more guilty. I know that there are many of you who are in a similar situation. If a customer received goods from you and you didn't ask them for payment, how would you feel if they contacted you to let you know? Is the ball in my court on this one? Should I just wait to get the suit first, see what I think, and then contact her?

Thanks for your opinion!

-George

you already know the anwser ..instead of typing all this BS ya shoulda been writen out the check (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 27 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #11

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(injunmort @ Jul 27 2012, 09:12 AM) *

you really need to ask this question?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 27 2012, 11:01 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

You guys are right. I did know the answer, which is more apparent to me when I re-read what I wrote. My fiance grew up a little different than how I did, and I explained to her that just because someone makes a shipping mistake does not mean the item is free. She, like me, I guess is feeling the pressure of being a young couple and trying to get off on the right foot, which is why she suggested not saying anything. As someone who works hard for their money, and despite being burned before by vendors, I know that every dime counts. And my character is something I've always protected, which is why I'll be sending her payment this afternoon. Again, please don't think less of me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Jaymann
post Jul 27 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 10,692
Region Association: None

I think you should do the right thing, and pay her.Karma, can be a real bitch.You will feel better, moral Dilemma solved.Actions mean more than words. It sucks to be on a tight budget,but you will find a way to make things work.Jason from PA
+Quote Post
ellisor3
post Jul 27 2012, 11:05 AM
Post #14

HPWhore

Member No.: 9,683

Besides, you will need that suit when she sets you on fire for not having the ring she wanted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jul 27 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #15

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

If you have morals then you will not have a dilemma...nor would there have even been a post

Morals are like a rubber band. Once they have been stretched they never return back to normal
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jul 27 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #16

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Good karma for you. You would probably get the bill in the mail anyway.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 27 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 27 2012, 01:09 PM) *

If you have morals then you will not have a dilemma...nor would there have even been a post

Morals are like a rubber band. Once they have been stretched they never return back to normal

Easy there. George will do the right thing. Just thinking out loud. No harm, no foul. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jul 27 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #18

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 27 2012, 01:20 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 27 2012, 01:09 PM) *

Easy there. George will do the right thing. Just thinking out loud. No harm, no foul. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No accusations being made. The "you" is third person.

I have never met the young man and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he is young. However, as you get older you realize the more someone tells you they have morals, can be trusted, etc. the faster you should run the other way. I often ask, "Who are you trying to convince? You or me?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 27 2012, 11:34 AM
Post #19

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I used to know a guy who worked sporadically. So he bought a dog. Used to bother me when he would bring home a 12 pack and smokes and no dog food. Point here is going to the track costs money. So, you got money, else you wouldn't go to track. So, till the suit is paid, there is no need for it. I know lots of people pour their souls out online as letters they've written, never meaning to send. No need to feel bad.
+Quote Post
ape914
post Jul 27 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #20

red locktite

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 12,676

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 27 2012, 09:06 AM) *

Thanks for your opinion!

-George

]

I will NEVER do bussiness with you if your so immoral that you need advice on weather it is ok to steal or not. It don't matter if your stealing from a small family bussiness or a huge corporation (whose stock may be owned by poor little old ladies) would you be ok with stealing say a car from a Porsche dealership, after all the dealership probably has more money then you?

Then you go on to say how wealthy you are, your masters degree, your 914 hobby, your racing addition. I dont give a damn if your broke and poor (which you are NOT) you need to pay up.

What an immoral twisted world we live in when an adult (with an infants mind and morality) asks if it is ok to steal, qualifies it by the wealth of the company he is stealing from, and then plays the oh I am poor game dispite your expensive car hobby.

Be a man, sell your car, drop your racing addiction, put off yoru wedding, put off school until you can afford it. get your priorities straight, I sure hope you dont plan to have kids, if you do, I sure hope they have a moral compass about stealing that they wont learn from their so called father.

Shame on you for even thinking about ripping anyone off, small company, large company what ever.

Choose to steal, and I hope your racing hobby ends with the loss of your car(s), you fail school and your lover leaves you for a more moral person, you deserve none of what you have when you think you can steal your way to wealth.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 09:43 AM