Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> any reason to avoid a '76?, other than smog
vitaminC
post Jan 2 2013, 03:32 PM
Post #1

searching...

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,121
Region Association: Northern California

Yes, I am still looking for "the one" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Patience is not really my strong suit, but I'm trying to avoid bringing home something I will regret later.

This 76 has been FS for a while now, and it looks to be in pretty good condition. Yes, I prefer yellow.

Initially I was trying to steer clear of the '76 since it will need smog here in CA, but maybe it's not really a huge issue? Is it difficult to keep them going in such a way that they'll pass smog and still run reliably?

Thanks for all the replies so far, I do appreciate it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jan 2 2013, 03:46 PM
Post #2

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What I know;

1. CA requires not only that the car passes emissions but that the Smog equipment has not been removed. The air injection equipment can be hard to find (replace) when it breaks.

2. Later cars had some structural updates which makes them superior in strength to the early cars (ask someone how much they had to cut to get a six oil tank in a later car) but they do weigh more with the bigger impact bumpers.

3. ALL 76s were 2.0l cars which is good, but the emissions equipment reduced thier output (88 hp). Still more than the 1.8, but less than the 73-74 USA 2.0l (95hp). This can be realtively easily corrected with high comp pistons or 2056cc kit.

4. The later cars have seat belt interlock on them in which you can start the car unless you are sitting in the seat with the seatbelt on. Usually this has been disabled (I've never seen a working one)

5. Later cars have less standard equipment which doesn't really matter to you as you can just buy the options from people on 914world and add them in.

I hope this helped.
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jan 2 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #3

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Oh and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Wait and find the right car, and don't be afraid of 75-76 cars, they aren't much different.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 2 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #4

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

I would buy a nice '76. They are the last year and with low production numbers will have some collector value in the future. That being said, it would have to be a really nice one with working FI
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 2 2013, 04:06 PM
Post #5

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

As long as it could be smogged, I would not avoid a '76. You can always sell it out of State.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 2 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

Hi Chris,

You might get a fellow 914World member to look at the car with you.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jan 2 2013, 04:15 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

That looks like a nice car, and quite a bit of $$ invested recently to make it pass smog etc. If there are no other issues with the car, it looks like a good buy.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 2 2013, 04:19 PM
Post #8

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

When I care about a late model car I backdate the bumpers, exhaust, and emissions. That takes a little work, but not nearly as much as rust repair.

Depends on the car. If anything a '76 *should* have a better chance at having less rust rot.

Year is irrelevant. Cost to restore is everything.

(If you live in a place where you still have to smog it and can't find a "historic" or other loophole, that's a factor I'm not used to. Same point applies though: Cost to repair and (pass or be exempt).)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 2 2013, 04:47 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I live in so cal and own a 75. I would not own a 76, because of the biannual smog inspection. The smog equipment is getting harder and harder to find for the stock engine. When my car required smog way back when it was a pain in the ass to get it to pass. Back then my car was a stock 2.0. A lot of the members have given up on the stock injection and have either switched to something more modern or a whole engine swap. It's nice to have the flexibility to do whatever you want to the car and not have to worry about the inspections. My car now has a stock Euro 3.2 motor.
That car looks like a nice deal though... Up to you if you think you will never want to change it.
+Quote Post
rex66m
post Jan 2 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,393

QUOTE(vitaminC @ Jan 2 2013, 05:32 PM) *

Yes, I am still looking for "the one" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Patience is not really my strong suit, but I'm trying to avoid bringing home something I will regret later.

This 76 has been FS for a while now, and it looks to be in pretty good condition. Yes, I prefer yellow.

Initially I was trying to steer clear of the '76 since it will need smog here in CA, but maybe it's not really a huge issue? Is it difficult to keep them going in such a way that they'll pass smog and still run reliably?

I can understand the smog issue living in CA, but other than that, what's not to love? Being an end of run year, it got all of the design benefits and they dumped appearance group items into them to get them off of the shelves (center console, etc.). And call it blasphemy, but I prefer the big bumpers. I like the look and a minor impact isn't that big of an issue. I still have not removed my smog equipment, but have thought about taking it off.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 2 2013, 08:21 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

QUOTE(rex66m @ Jan 2 2013, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(vitaminC @ Jan 2 2013, 05:32 PM) *

I can understand the smog issue living in CA, but other than that, what's not to love? Being an end of run year, it got all of the design benefits and they dumped appearance group items into them to get them off of the shelves (center console, etc.). And call it blasphemy, but I prefer the big bumpers. I like the look and a minor impact isn't that big of an issue. I still have not removed my smog equipment, but have thought about taking it off.

I prefer big bumpers too, just not on my 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
vitaminC
post Jan 2 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #12

searching...

Member No.: 12,121

QUOTE(rex66m @ Jan 2 2013, 04:55 PM) *

Actually, this one doesn't seem to have the appearance package, as seen here:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1355.photobucket.com-12121-1357179960.1.jpg)

Thanks everyone for the input! Eventually I will start a 'bought this' thread instead of a 'have questions' thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
rex66m
post Jan 2 2013, 08:53 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,393

QUOTE(vitaminC @ Jan 2 2013, 10:26 PM) *

QUOTE(rex66m @ Jan 2 2013, 04:55 PM) *

Actually, this one doesn't seem to have the appearance package, as seen here:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1355.photobucket.com-12121-1357179960.1.jpg)

Thanks everyone for the input! Eventually I will start a 'bought this' thread instead of a 'have questions' thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

Maybe so, but that one has the optional 6 disc changer (passenger seat), dash cover, and door speakers!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 05:48 PM