Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help - gas fumes in the cabin
john_g
post Apr 16 2013, 08:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,100
Region Association: Canada

As the title says, this past week I've had pretty strong gas fumes in the cabin. This has been ever since I filled up with gas. So, at first I thought I just spilled some when filling up, but the smell has lasted for a week. I'm wondering if I don't have the cap sealed properly, but it's pretty hard not to twist the cap back on. Is it possible that the cap gasket is worn (although it looks fine to me), or ...?

When I raise the bonnet and sniff around, the smell is pretty strong right around the gas cap area, so I know it's coming from somewhere around there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Apr 16 2013, 08:21 PM
Post #2

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

You should have an expansion tank surrounding your gas filler neck. That should have a vent hose attached to it.. make sure you don't have an open hose connector there.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Apr 16 2013, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(john_g @ Apr 16 2013, 08:18 PM) *

As the title says, this past week I've had pretty strong gas fumes in the cabin. This has been ever since I filled up with gas. So, at first I thought I just spilled some when filling up, but the smell has lasted for a week. I'm wondering if I don't have the cap sealed properly, but it's pretty hard not to twist the cap back on. Is it possible that the cap gasket is worn (although it looks fine to me), or ...?

When I raise the bonnet and sniff around, the smell is pretty strong right around the gas cap area, so I know it's coming from somewhere around there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Are the breather lines still connected? I don't remember where they go for a stock car set up, but I know there should be some connected. I'm working on routing mine as well since I no longer have the charcoal filter. I do know that's the reason I smell gas fumes in my cabin. I bet the routing can be found by a search on the forum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EDIT: yeah, what Jason said.
+Quote Post
914itis
post Apr 16 2013, 08:24 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

Take a look at the gas cap area, you will see the bolts, I believe there is 8 of them holding the neck of the cap. Make sure they are tight, and the gasket is good. I had that happened and it turns out that one of the bolts was missing. I pi one in there and no more smell.

I hope this helps .
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 16 2013, 08:37 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

There are 3 different rubber gaskets used in the tank. 914rubber has replacements.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 17 2013, 09:55 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

It only takes a very small abount of gas to keep it smelling for a long time. Mine used to leak mostly after filling, then a hard left turn. I replaced the gasket under the filler and the leak and the smell stopped.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 17 2013, 10:36 AM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Or you have a leaking line under the tank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Do not let this persist. Too many 914's have been lost to gas fires.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 17 2013, 10:36 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 17 2013, 11:55 AM) *

It only takes a very small abount of gas to keep it smelling for a long time. Mine used to leak mostly after filling, then a hard left turn. I replaced the gasket under the filler and the leak and the smell stopped.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I replaced all 3 rubber gaskets and aligned the overflow hose to exit the bottom of the fuel area instead of draining into the bulkhead. Made a huge difference.

* Also installed SS fuel lines and replaced all the rubber gas lines on the engine.
+Quote Post
john_g
post Apr 17 2013, 11:41 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,100
Region Association: Canada

Thanks, guys. I've checked many of your suggestions. I've tightened the bolts in the expansion bowl around the gas cap (none were super-loose, but all easily took 1/2 to a full turn), and checked the breather line/vent hose to see that it is still connected. It all looks good. I'm wondering if it's as simple as a worn gasket on the filler cap itself - it feels quite hard. When new, what is it's consistency?
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Apr 17 2013, 01:32 PM
Post #10

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I had the same problem, it turned out to be the nipple on the bottom of the tank. I was able to see it from under the car when I removed the front cover plate! Later it came back and I found a small rust hole where the tank sits on the bulkhead and would only smell when I filled up the tank!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 02:27 AM