Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Frustrated...
Rusty
post Dec 4 2004, 04:15 PM
Post #1

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I had a very short list of things I wanted when I got back from Iraq. One of those things was to drive my 914.

Well, it looks like it's not going to happen this year. Again.

I used to say that I loved working on my 914 as much as I loved driving it. I've said that for years. The spring before I deployed, I had the clutch explode and between clutch job parts and new shocks, that was a 2400 dollar hole in my wallet. Working on the car quit being a joy, and was really becoming a pain.

Between working all day, two college classes, I haven't had a lot of time to work on the car since I got back. But that's not the whole truth. It's just not fun anymore. I hate going out to my rented the garage. Just the thought of working on my car makes me cringe.

It's winter in Kansas, it's snowed twice and there has been salt on the roads. But today we got to an amazing 50 degrees. I decided to give working on the car one last shot.

I had finished draining the old fuel out. Put new premium fuel in today. It still runs like shit. I've adjusted the valves multiple times, and seem to get it worse each time. I'm pretty sure the timing is off, too. Apparently, the problem is simply my lack of ability to perform the most simple maintenance functions on this car. I hate it. I hate working on it. I hate not knowing WHY things are wrong. I don't have the money to simply throw new parts at a problem until something gets fixed.

This afternoon I picked up a hammer off the workbench and walked towards the engine compartment with every intention of attacking this fucking car that mocks me at every opportunity.

All I could do was drop my head and walk away. Screw it. Maybe in the spring.

-Lawrence
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 4 2004, 04:26 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 4 2004, 02:15 PM)
This afternoon I picked up a hammer off the workbench and walked towards the engine compartment with every intention of attacking this fucking car that mocks me at every opportunity.

noooooooo .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

trailer her to the WCC and have brad fix her up while you're here in sunny CA!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Dec 4 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

Lawrence, sorry for your frustration.... I know it's difficult to want something, get it, but not completely enjoy it. Put the hammer down, take some time off and don't worry about the car right now. Winter can be a very depressing time; relax, grap a beer and enjoy the family, friends and the country you went away to protect. Things will look better in the spring. This is a great site (thanks for helping keep it this way) and soon you'll have club members offering assistance....

(now for the smilies)... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Dec 4 2004, 04:40 PM
Post #4

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

Lawrence, been there, felt that......

But, once it is running right, taking that first 35 MPH curve at 60+ and feeling in complete control, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) then the evil thoughts go away.

Disclaimer: Done under controlled conditions by a professional driver. Sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Dec 4 2004, 04:49 PM
Post #5

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

You did the right thing by walking away, give it a break, close the garage door and don't work on it untill your ready. Asside from driving it, working on it should be fun too. Give yourself time to adjust to being back home, and enjoy the Holidays. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Dec 4 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #6

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Lawrence, I wish I could say that I don't understand what you are talking about, but that would not be true. I never claimed that I enjoy working on my car. I do like it when I can fix something. I hate it when I can't. The worst if when I try to do repairs and only fuck it up worse and then have to pay even more to have somebody else fix what I broke. Relax. Don't let the frustration get to you. Things will look better tomorrow. I promise.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Dec 4 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

why not take it to a shop for a tune up. let them set the carbs/ignition and, if needed, the valves

what ever you do, hang in there...
+Quote Post
anthony
post Dec 4 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #8

2270 club

Member No.: 218

I second that option. When I bought my 911 the best thing I did was have the mechanic do a full service. He even found a leaky fuel accumulator that could have resulted in an engine fire. I should have two years where all I will have to do myself is change the oil before I need to learn how to adjust the valves on a flat six.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 4 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #9

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hang in there bud. You'll get past this. You've been through worse and survived.
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Dec 4 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #10

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

Hang in there, keep working and you will learn.

30 years ago I got my first car a 1962 beetle. ran like crap so I pulled the motor. When I split the case I found every bolt... but one and cracked the case with wooden wedges trying to split it. I swore that was it and I was done forever.

Now I am slow patient and not a bad mechanic - its just a hobby for me.

Take a deep breath, and go back with clear head. work thorugh one issue at a time and she will love you forever.

Really, we are all there with you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Dec 4 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #11

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27

Lawrence,, I wish I had a nickel for everytime I felt exactly the same way... Hang in there..... The good times with your teener are ahead of you.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 4 2004, 05:42 PM
Post #12

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110

I like the idea of volunteering Brad to work on her... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Deano
post Dec 4 2004, 09:51 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,942

We've all been there, just try to remember the euphoric feeling when you find the problem and take it for that first perfectly tuned ride. Take a break and come back only when you're in the mood for some wrench time. It should always be fun.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Dec 4 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #14

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I worked on my car today for the first time since mid-Sept (when it suddenly crapped out on the track...twice). [Well technically last weekend I put the muffler back on, but that's a routine swap not really "work" per se].

Sometimes ya just have to give it a rest. I know you were away from the teener for a LONG time but even when you're home, you really have to be in a certain mood to dick around with these things.

And in typical fashion, just in case I might have a chance to drive it tomorrow, it just started raining again...
+Quote Post
John
post Dec 4 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #15

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

Dude,

In the spring, if you can get the car to run to Kansas City, ring her to my shop. I'll get her purring for you, but PLEASE PLEASE don't hurt her out of frustration. If I had the room right now, I'd offer to take her for the winter, but that probably won't be possible until the spring.

I may be conned into trailering it to my place if it won't run under it's own power.

(At least I'm not all the way out in CA)

PM me if you want.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Dec 4 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #16

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

By yer title I thought it was a sex thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I opened it
R E A L F A S T (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I think it was only a couple months ago I did the same thing and posted it too along with selling Punkin and was gonna buy a Miata. Well, thankfully, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) I did not get 1 call after putting out an ad.

You'll get it Buddy.... it's all in the frame of mind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

.....b
+Quote Post
krk
post Dec 5 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 22

QUOTE(anthony @ Dec 4 2004, 04:02 PM)
I second that option. When I bought my 911 the best thing I did was have the mechanic do a full service. He even found a leaky fuel accumulator that cold have resulted in an engine fire. I should have two years where all I will have to do myself is change the oil before I need to learn how to adjust the valves on a flat six.

I'll third it. I've discovered that having a competent mechanic go over the car once a year works well for me. I suppose (when I flatter myself) I'm "competent but time challenged". This means that when I work on the car, it generally has to be something I'm fairly confident that I can fix or generally "be successful at". (occasionally, I'm just too stubborn to pay someone a silly amount of money -- I changed my alternator in my six "in the car" just because it would be an outrageous bill)

But I get a base tune up (timing, valve setting, carb setting, etc) roughly once a year. It probably fixes all my learn-as-you-go Fixes™ ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)) The time in between I can devote to screwing up what was done.

Best of luck with 'er!

kim.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 5 2004, 01:00 AM
Post #18

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It helps to be thankful for what you have. For example:
You - A slab with a cover over it to use to work on it, jack it up, move heavy things around on wheeled equipment with.
Me - Muddy back yard riddled with cat shit, cant move anything around, rain f-ing up my fun.

I wish I were you, cheer up. Problems are solutions in disguise.
+Quote Post
PatW
post Dec 5 2004, 02:08 AM
Post #19

Wassup?

Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 4 2004, 02:15 PM)

All I could do was drop my head and walk away. Screw it. Maybe in the spring.

-Lawrence

High School shop teacher liked to tell me.

"Don't let it beat you!, It's just a hunk of metal and it dosen't care about what kind of day you're having" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) I can still remember seeing him rip apart motors piece-by-piece until found out was wrong. It was Him Vs. the Machine and he was not going to loose.

Next time, get that 914 runnin-right! OK?. We know you can do it!.

Pat
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Dec 5 2004, 02:24 AM
Post #20

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Airfares are dirt cheap at the moment Rusty, fly Brads ass out for a weekend of tuning and fun.

Geoff
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 06:41 PM