Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crazy idea for the trunks and interior..., ...or crazy like a fox!
CptTripps
post Jan 16 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #1

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Gang,

I yanked the entire interior out tonight and was planning on just sanding it down a little and then re-spraying it before I re-build the rest of the interior. (one of the winter projects.) I had an idea for the interior, and the front and rear trunks. (Or boots...whatever.) I had an assistant a while ago that had these guys spray a bedliner into his new truck. Took them about a day, and it was REAL solid. The nice part was that it was impervious to lots of chemicals, and completely waterproof.

http://216.28.21.48/cgi-bin/permatech.cgi/.../Tech_Info/A/55

That's the technical part, but I remember at the shop, they had a ton of stuff that they'd sprayed with the stuff. There is an off-road magazine that had them do the OUTSIDE of their truck because it was so great with chips and stuff.

I'm thinking that it may add 30-40lbs to the car, but it'll never rust through, and if I get it done in Yellow, might actually look real nice too. I'm also thinking it'll quiet the interior up a bit.

I think his truck bed cost like $250 (4yrs ago) and I can't imagine it'll take any more than that.

Think it's a good idea? Or am I REALLY crazy?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xitspd
post Jan 16 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #2

Technology and Tradition 3.6 and 914-6

Member No.: 3,136

Good idea if weight does not matter to you. The bedliner material is waterproof and very durable. I recently bought some titanium bolts for my 914-6.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Jan 16 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #3

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

I think it's an awesome idea. I want the same thing done to my undercarriage and engine bay. I think Eastwood sells a lot of products to aid in doing linings like that, but I don't think they'll match the quality of the Permatech option you've posted.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 16 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #4

Yeah, the one that my friend did in his truck wore like nothing I've ever seen. We hauled bricks, wood, steel, and a LOT of computers in the back of that thing, and it looked new when he sold the truck 4yrs later.

It was only about 1/8" thick as I remember. They roughed up the metal first, primed it, then sprayed it on. Took like a day or something. I figure I can be working on my doors and hoods while it's there getting sprayed. It may not even weigh 40lbs total...Who knows. But I'm certainly not AXing int eh thing, and am just looking for a DD that'll last a lot of summers.

I already have a call into them. I'll report back when I know costs and such.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jan 16 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #5

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I had ARMA Coat (similar to Rhino Lining) sprayed in my pickup bed and have it in all our training vans. Very nice to be able to spray out with confidence that it won't allow moisture to get under it & rust.

Doing the under carridge, trunk, engine bay and even the interior would prolly add a bit of weight but the car would never come apart (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif)

....b
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 16 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #6

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

If you are looking for sound deadening material, try this FATMAT http://www.fatmat.com/
CCLINFATMATME
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 16 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #7

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Has anyone tried this with the DIY hurculiner stuff? (keep it off your hootus!) I noticed that it's cheaper now, and though not as thick, I'm tempted to do my trunks and interior with it. I can't easily do the rhino-lining, because when it's time to do it the car won't have wheels yet.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 16 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #8

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Personally I don't like to see a front or rear trunk with anything on it but body color paint, and the smoother the better. I like ot be able to go in and wax the trunk floors and the lids. Truck bed liner spray is going to look as though you are hiding some kind of ?????????
CCLINFATMAT
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 16 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #9

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 16 2005, 10:25 PM)
Personally I don't like to see a front or rear trunk with anything on it but body color paint, and the smoother the better. I like ot be able to go in and wax the trunk floors and the lids. Truck bed liner spray is going to look as though you are hiding some kind of ?????????
CCLINFATMAT

I agree with you for most 914s.. but I'm aiming for a daily driver. I hauls all kinds of crap around in my daily driver, and I'd like to not have to worry about keeping it shiny and scatch free. I will also have some repairs to hide (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) I am not willing to replace a whole panel for a couple quarter sized holes that are under carpet.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 16 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #10

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

I used the 3 part Herculiner on a Jeep Wrangler I used to own, worked great! It had a hard-top which was nice in the winter, but sucked in the summer when I wanted to drive around topless (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mgw.gif) . So I coated the entire interior and bought a baja vinyl top for the spring, and summer (pulled the drain plugs....let it rain!), and reinstalled the carpets and hardtop for late fall and winter. Drove it around like that for 6 years with "0" rust developing, and virtually no wear to the Herculiner coating. If I ever get another Wrangler that's the first mod I'm doing to it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jan 16 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #11

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

The only problem with these types of materials is that you have to start with a rust free surface to begin with. If any rust or moisture is trapped under the material your car will continue to rust away.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 17 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #12

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jan 16 2005, 08:13 PM)
Think it's a good idea? Or am I REALLY crazy?

the PO had done that on my car and it was a royal PITA to deal with. very rough finish, couldn't clean it right, looked like shit and probably weighted 200 lbs ...

got rid of all of it before i got the new paint.
if you like your car, don't do it!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jan 17 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #13

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

The stuff is very thin now and comes in various textured surfaces & colors. Before it can be applied the surface needs to be taken down to bare metal and sprayed with a bonding primer. This is how ours is done and there is no rust or moisture when it['s applied. If you want an original car and have designs on selling it then it prolly isn't a good idea but if you want to keep it forever then WTH, eh?

Just make sure you go to a reputable place that knows what they're doing..

......b
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 17 2005, 08:23 AM
Post #14

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Strip to bare metal, POR-15, allow to dry for 2-3 days,( this is to ensure the paint does not lift when the liner is applied) then coat with bed coating. The stuff is great and can be applied in any thickness you desire. I am using it on the cab floor to completely seal it in case of a leaking top or getting cought with the top off. I will also be covering the rear of the rear trunk with it!!
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jan 17 2005, 09:37 AM
Post #15

Incontin(g)ent Member

Member No.: 943

Kinda hit this before, so here's the link .

I swear by this stuff, but wouldn't want it in the interior because it's abrasive to the touch. Cover with carpet? Then OK. Used about a quart of Herculiner to do my rockers, bumpers, chin spoiler and rear valence, so maybe 2 lbs. Needs no primer or POR15 under it, just a clean roughed up surface. Bulletproof, hides surface blems so no bondo or perfect bodywork needed. Also not removable!!!

But none of this is a substitute to fixing the leaks and keeping it clean.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 17 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #16

Thanks for the link. I DO try to search for this stuff before starting a thread, but I didn't use the word 'Rhino'.

I'm going to go for it. Maybe some day I'll do a 'stock' 914, but I'm going to play with this one.
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jan 17 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #17

Incontin(g)ent Member

Bottom line.. these are all just opinions, and they are all correct. I found rust on firewall. Removed sound pad, scraped and wire brushed like crazy, put on this goo and then a new foil covered pad.

But I don't use it in either trunk or the rest of the engine compartment, so go figure (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif) .
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Jan 17 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

I just completed stripping the seam-sealer, tar, paint from the passenger compartment, engine compartment and rear trunk. I also repaired all rusted areas, cut, trim, weld, grind. After 3 coats of primer, I put 2 coats of paint. Just about everything I painted in the passenger compartment and rear trunk will be covered with carpet. I agree with Andy, I want to see if there is any rust demons working on my car and with the red I'll be able to see rather quickly. Anyway, just my opinion and my solution....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jan 17 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #19

Incontin(g)ent Member

Wow, that's gorgeous! If my car looked like that it I would just put it in the family room with a rope around it! Yellow would have been faster (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jan 17 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #20

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 17 2005, 01:25 AM)
CCLINFATMAT

Anal retentive, paranoid...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I am with ya...

M
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 11:28 PM