Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Locking Lug Bolts?
914bub
post Aug 25 2014, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,260
Region Association: None

Hey guys. "Back in the day", I had locking lug nuts on my old Mustangs. As those of you who know,(who have lost a lug nut key), they can be a PITA to remove. They certainly aren't impossible to remove and companies like Snap On tools makes a tool just for that purpose. I also know it doesn't deter the bad guys,just slows them down a little and maybe deters the lazy one's.

After the "Mustang days" I swore I'd never use locking lug nuts again. I don't live in a super high crime area and don't often drive my cars to such places. Weeeellll Then I aquired what ,(to me anyway), are the "Holy grails" of wheels for my 914. I picked up a set of ATS classics that are in "new" condition,(with all four caps even)!

My question is, are any of you using locking lug bolts? When I look at pictures of peoples cars on here I don't see anybody using them. I looked on Ebay and it looks like I can get a set of McGards for a reasonable price. Am I just being paranoid or should I toss a set on? Or do I just need four Pit bulls and some chains?! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914bub
post Aug 25 2014, 08:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,260
Region Association: None

OK..... Silence speaks volumes. I must be paranoid... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
hblyle
post Aug 25 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,110
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image
I don't care for the locks or welding an extension to them to remove a tire. I think if you sleep better at night then it's money well spent? Let us know what you decide.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 26 2014, 06:13 AM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Other than 914 and vw guys, the market is pretty limited. I don't worry about it. I'm sure the guys who steal wheels have all the removal tools on hand.
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Aug 26 2014, 06:50 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

I bought some from Pelican for my '70 -6 conversion. They look great...maybe they will slow somebody down...a little...from stealing my...14" Fuchs...they are such a hot item aren't they?...now that I think about it......but, hey! they look great!

My '02 MR-2 came equipped with them for an (extra $45 or so). I lost the key last year and went to Toyota to get them removed. I thought about buying regular lug nuts thinking that the MR-2 is such a low production vehicle, thieves won't bother with them. The dealer suggested its not the car thieves who go after MR-2 wheels, its the punks who grab them and turn them in for $30 worth of scrap and who probably won't have the professional tools. That made sense so I bought a new set.

I hope I can find my "key" when the -6 gets off the jack stands!
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 26 2014, 09:25 AM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

My car had the McGuard locks when I bought it.

After ****ing with them for a couple of years, I replaced them with plain bolts. They were too much of a PITA.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 10:53 PM