Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Locking Lug Bolts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
Hey guys. "Back in the day", I had locking lug nuts on my old Mustangs. As those of you who know,(who have lost a lug nut key), they can be a PITA to remove. They certainly aren't impossible to remove and companies like Snap On tools makes a tool just for that purpose. I also know it doesn't deter the bad guys,just slows them down a little and maybe deters the lazy one's.

After the "Mustang days" I swore I'd never use locking lug nuts again. I don't live in a super high crime area and don't often drive my cars to such places. Weeeellll Then I aquired what ,(to me anyway), are the "Holy grails" of wheels for my 914. I picked up a set of ATS classics that are in "new" condition,(with all four caps even)!

My question is, are any of you using locking lug bolts? When I look at pictures of peoples cars on here I don't see anybody using them. I looked on Ebay and it looks like I can get a set of McGards for a reasonable price. Am I just being paranoid or should I toss a set on? Or do I just need four Pit bulls and some chains?! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
914bub
OK..... Silence speaks volumes. I must be paranoid... biggrin.gif
hblyle
Click to view attachment
I don't care for the locks or welding an extension to them to remove a tire. I think if you sleep better at night then it's money well spent? Let us know what you decide.
mepstein
Other than 914 and vw guys, the market is pretty limited. I don't worry about it. I'm sure the guys who steal wheels have all the removal tools on hand.
eyesright
I bought some from Pelican for my '70 -6 conversion. They look great...maybe they will slow somebody down...a little...from stealing my...14" Fuchs...they are such a hot item aren't they?...now that I think about it......but, hey! they look great!

My '02 MR-2 came equipped with them for an (extra $45 or so). I lost the key last year and went to Toyota to get them removed. I thought about buying regular lug nuts thinking that the MR-2 is such a low production vehicle, thieves won't bother with them. The dealer suggested its not the car thieves who go after MR-2 wheels, its the punks who grab them and turn them in for $30 worth of scrap and who probably won't have the professional tools. That made sense so I bought a new set.

I hope I can find my "key" when the -6 gets off the jack stands!
Dave_Darling
My car had the McGuard locks when I bought it.

After ****ing with them for a couple of years, I replaced them with plain bolts. They were too much of a PITA.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.