Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - Outsourced...
ClayPerrine
post Feb 15 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #1

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I just found out this morning that I have been outsourced. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

So...If anyone is looking for a very experienced Active Driectory person, Let me know.

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 15 2005, 09:09 AM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

that sucks dude!

I've heard of folks who have been outsourced going to work for the company that got the gig...any chances of that happening for you?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 15 2005, 09:13 AM
Post #3

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513

sucks. sorry to hear that.

i don't even know what Active Directory is, let alone know anyone who can use expertise at it, but i will keep my eyes open of course.
+Quote Post
skline
post Feb 15 2005, 09:18 AM
Post #4

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Clay, you could do like I did, start being the company that does the outsource. I worked for MCI WorldCom as the outsourced IT and when I realized I was at the top of the ladder, I left and went out on my own. Now I have about 16 companies I do work for. It gives me a lot of free time. Its not that easy however to collect from all the clients, you need to stay on top of billing and everything else so it adds to the job. Ups and downs I guess with anything.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 15 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #5

I can't go to work for the outsourcer. It's in Bangalore, India.

So I look for work here.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

+Quote Post
jr91472
post Feb 15 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #6

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Member No.: 2,437

I feel your pain. I got let go last May. Good news is that my 914 has never looked nor run better (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Keep your head up, you've got tons to offer. All will work out for the best in the end (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Feb 15 2005, 09:28 AM
Post #7

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248

Sorry to hear about that Clay. We just had a good size layoff here, I'm thankful I wasn't hit (again). I wish you the best. You're a smart cookie, I'm sure you'll land on your feet.
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Feb 15 2005, 09:40 AM
Post #8

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hang in there Clay. Maybe do you own thing like Scott and go after some contacts and network yourself out.

As a side note this is the very reason we need an IT union in the US. If you think about it. We make things happen, if not for people like us, the US companies would be back in the stone age. They make millions everyday on the backs of our talents. We should get a bigger slice of the pie and a little respect. The US business model is all basackwards. The VPs and above just take us for granted. I say it is very UN-American just to pump up your bottom line to make the investors happy, then turn your backs on the people who made it possible via technology to do so.

Just my sorry ass opinion and nothing else.

The best of luck Clay. Go make it happen. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)
+Quote Post
azbill
post Feb 15 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,403
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am underscoring Steve's comments. I think outsourcing will be the down fall of business in the America. Thank God I'm retired. Would not want to going through times like these. I wish that American corporations would get some love of country and loyalty towards the people that built the company. I'll get off my soap box. Hnag in there think out of the box. Good Luck
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 15 2005, 10:02 AM
Post #10

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (skline @ Feb 15 2005, 07:18 AM)
Clay, you could do like I did, start being the company that does the outsource. I worked for MCI WorldCom as the outsourced IT and when I realized I was at the top of the ladder, I left and went out on my own. Now I have about 16 companies I do work for. It gives me a lot of free time. Its not that easy however to collect from all the clients, you need to stay on top of billing and everything else so it adds to the job. Ups and downs I guess with anything.

I agree with this completely. Lots of esp. small companies that DON'T do computer stuff need some kind of IT, and they're understandably unwilling to start up an IT organization of their own. The outsourced-to-India stuff is mostly for big clients, not 10 person companies. So, start a firm to handle the small guys. They'll want someone local to help reassure them.

+Quote Post
DougC
post Feb 15 2005, 10:09 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,307

Clay, that does suck but I bet it'll wind up beig the best thing that ever happened.That's the way it usually goes. So, start that company up.. and hire me (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) , I could stand a change. Best of luck!

Doug C
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 15 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #12

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I feel for you Clay. Around my work, at one time, we had 25 contractors doing our job from India and another 4 working in cubes right next to us. Just a month ago, I left IT for the business end of things. So far, it has been a lot of hard work, but with the way things are going, I am happy to be out of IT. I was there for 10 years and the last 2-3 were just absolute hell.

As far as I am conerned, as soon as my wife and I get a few things settled, I will most likely bow out of the corp. BS and find a job that I can walk to work. Like a bank teller. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Did that right out of High School, that was a fun job. Playing with money! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 15 2005, 10:45 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 15 2005, 10:02 AM)

I agree with this completely. Lots of esp. small companies that DON'T do computer stuff need some kind of IT, and they're understandably unwilling to start up an IT organization of their own. The outsourced-to-India stuff is mostly for big clients, not 10 person companies. So, start a firm to handle the small guys. They'll want someone local to help reassure them.

That is actually kinda what I have been thinking for months. Start a company to provide IT services to Auto shops, parts houses, real estate offices, cleaners... all the small businesses out there that don't know anything about computers other than they need them.

But I don't have the capital to start a business. I just bought a house a year ago....

Gotta make the house payments.

What really sucks is that I was going to get my 914 on the road by April... But now it's on hold.

All the money HAS to go to the bills until I get a job.

+Quote Post
dinomium
post Feb 15 2005, 11:07 AM
Post #14

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Member No.: 74
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just more proof that nobody will look out for ya but yer self! IT Blows! It is to the point that if this gig I am at right goes gunny sack, I am going back to swinging a hammer!

Good Luck, man. AD and smarts, you should be ok...
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 15 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

dang.. clay..

hang in there
sorry about that
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 15 2005, 11:18 AM
Post #16

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 15 2005, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 15 2005, 10:02 AM)

That is actually kinda what I have been thinking for months. Start a company to provide IT services to Auto shops, parts houses, real estate offices, cleaners... all the small businesses out there that don't know anything about computers other than they need them.

But I don't have the capital to start a business. I just bought a house a year ago....

Gotta make the house payments.

What really sucks is that I was going to get my 914 on the road by April... But now it's on hold.

All the money HAS to go to the bills until I get a job.

So do both. You've got time on your hands now, so just spend the modest sum required to incorporate and print up some business cards, and hunt for clients in between job interviews.
+Quote Post
cha914
post Feb 15 2005, 11:33 AM
Post #17

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

Sorry to hear that Clay ... best of luck finding something, I will put my feelers out for you, you do development or support or???

- Tony
+Quote Post
MarkG
post Feb 15 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,102

I work for HP, just a matter of time before we are outsourced to Red China (new country of choice - folks in India are asking for too much and India is outsourcing jobs outsourced to them to Russia!)......

Plan to use my severance package to paint the 914 and buy a Raby motor.....
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 15 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (cha914 @ Feb 15 2005, 11:33 AM)
Sorry to hear that Clay ... best of luck finding something, I will put my feelers out for you, you do development or support or???

- Tony

Network Admin.
I work with Microsoft Products, Primarily Active Directory. I have been doing phone support for 5 years. But now I want to go back to a network admin or Active directory architect job.

I also do Unix/Linux/Novell and network hardware.

+Quote Post
larryp
post Feb 15 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 675

I don't know what any of all that lingo means but I have a friend who runs Akimet. If they are someone who might be able to hook up with you shoot me a PM and lets get a resume over to him.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:46 AM