Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where to buy parts
GWN7
post Dec 31 2002, 06:40 AM
Post #1

King of Road Trips

Group: Members
Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

First,

Hello all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It's time for me to start ordering parts to stockpile for when the weather gets warmer and I can start working on the cars. Any leads to who I should trust my cash too?

I've heard about the problems with the places in Atlanta and Chicago. The place in CA where I met most of you is 2 for two for screwed orders. Any place else?

Thanks,
Bruce
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Dec 31 2002, 09:48 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Did you try Jason @ paragon products?
Paragon Products

He usually has good prices

HTH,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Dec 31 2002, 10:18 AM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

German Parts and Restoration is another good place-http://www.gprparts.com/
I have never had any problems with PP so far, slow at times.
Geoff
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 31 2002, 10:31 AM
Post #4

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Depends on if you are looking for new or used parts?
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
+Quote Post
drew365
post Dec 31 2002, 11:03 AM
Post #5

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

patrickmotorsports.com has some nice trick parts for conversions and racing. Not a big inventory but what they have is pretty nice. I got Bilsteins with adjustable perches from them along with boxed trailing arms on an exchange basis.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Dec 31 2002, 11:12 AM
Post #6

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I too have had several probs with the El Segundo folks. Long time customer (99) and service seemed to go downhill just recently. Probably the old "trying to grow too fast" syndrome that killed a number of "dot-bomb" outfits a year or two ago.

Anyways, it kinda depends what type of parts you need.

For bon-a-fide factory parts (new), I use Stoddard.

For bon-a-fide factory parts (used), Carquip and Ottos are two good sources, among many.

For new stuff, I have also had good results from GPR (10+ year customer) and Paragon. I do also use Performance Products sometimes, mainly for speed/convenience (I am local to them and they carry a very large inventory in an actual warehouse).

For misc race stuff, Pegasus, Coleman, Jegs, OG Racing, Sube Sports...
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 31 2002, 01:15 PM
Post #7

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I have used mostly GPR for general parts, but branch out for specific goodies.

The best thing to do is ask here when looking for a vendor.
Since Brad is beholding to no one, we can recommend anyone we want.....except for exhaust systems (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif).

For the products SSI makes, no one else comes close anyhow.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Dec 31 2002, 04:12 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Ha ha JP. This list has nothing to do with SSI. Buy what you want.

Back when I had to buy parts retail I used GPR or Zims AutoTechnic in Bedford Texas. All I ask in a sales person is that they know the 914. GPR,Zims,Patrick,HPH,Otto's all know the 914 forwards and backwards. Places like AA have a very high turn over rate and dont hire 914 people to sell 914 people 914 parts. I understand 914 parts wont support a business, but dedicate a person to just Porsche parts like GPR did years ago. Zims is a shop as well as a parts place. They will know what goes where..as well as Otto's,HPH,Patrick. Notice a common denominator ?? Shops that are also parts wharehouses ??

B
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jan 1 2003, 12:20 AM
Post #9

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

These were new parts I ordered....In May when I bought the 72 914 I ordered a bunch of replacement steel to fix the rust. A month goes by and I get a email saying "hope your enjoying the parts you bought from us". I sent one back saying "I would if they had arrived. Any Idea when I can expect them?" Couple days go by & I get another email saying to check the update on shipping on there site. It says they will be shipped in 2 weeks, direct from factory. (this is now 2 months from when I ordered). So I send a email back and ask who screwed up? Them or the factory? No answer. Parts show up 3 weeks later.....

September, on my way home from BC with the 70 914. I stop in Calgary at a buddy's place for a visit. I use his puter to order a shift bushing set as this car needs to be upgraded badly (I call it the mystery shift car). Figure parts should arrive at my home a week after I get there. 2 weeks after I get home, I check to see order status. No order on file, so I email them and ask where my order is. I get a curt responce saying I have no orders on file. It snows the next day and I sort of loose interest in laying on my back to change bushings on cold wet concrete.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Won't know what I need for the 74 914 for a couple months (compleat carpet, front & rear trunk gaskets, hose sets (vacume & gas) come to mind)

I'm just looking for someone who will ship to my igloo up here or my po box in the USA if need be and will ship what I order in a timely fashion. And if there is a problem let me know.

Bruce

P.S. When I need a exaust, I would buy it from Brad (that is if he ever sends me pricing) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 1 2003, 12:51 AM
Post #10

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Like Brad said call a whorehouse......er..... warehouse like those he suggested. You can ask them if they have the part in stock. Zims and GPR actually seem to tell the truth. I think they like repeat biddenss.

Some parts are just flat hard to locate....need RSR rocker seals.....Zims has em'....in stock, too. I bought a gas gauge from AA (yerk!) cause they had one that worked with the
914 tank sender......VDO didn't have a clue.

Start lookin' at all them effin' ads in Excellence & Pano.
Before my internet days, that is where I went....still do. It's become a habit.
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Jan 1 2003, 01:34 PM
Post #11

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

I have had the best service from PP, had to talk to George to get AA to complete an order, which they finally did . PWerks in Chicago was good and bad. A lot of the parts can be found at your local VW speed shops. some at lower prices. We have a lot of them in my area. But overall I have had the best service with PP usually 1 day .

Bernbomb914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:31 PM