Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 102 RON, no ethanol, - any good for the 914? Discuss please.
thieuster
post Aug 19 2015, 12:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

A local station sells 102 RON fuel, without ethanol. My other classics love it, but these have carburated engines (SUs and Weber).

How does the 914 react to that sort of stuff? Experiences? Do's & Don'ts? I really would like to read your comments.

Menno
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Aug 19 2015, 12:59 AM
Post #2

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(thieuster @ Aug 18 2015, 11:39 PM) *

A local station sells 102 RON fuel, without ethanol. My other classics love it, but these have carburated engines (SUs and Weber).

How does the 914 react to that sort of stuff? Experiences? Do's & Don'ts? I really would like to read your comments.

Menno

Seems like a waste of $ for an engine that does not have the compression or tuning needed to harness the benefits. Probably best to run a fuel additive and swap out your rubber fuel lines with ethanol rated rubber.

100+ fuels make my 2.2s 6 happy though.
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Aug 19 2015, 01:36 AM
Post #3

... should have added that 99% of the stations here only sell 95 RON or 98 RON with Ethanol. Only a handful petrol stations in Holland sell classic car friendly stuff.

Now, 95 RON isn't what the docter ordered, according to the decals near the fuel tank stating that 98 is the stuff for the Teener engine. I don't know if there's a difference between markets, my car is a 73 2.0 European specs car.

Price-wise, the 102 RON is more expensive. But hey, to start with, petrol is eyewatering expensive overhere in Holland. And I don't drive more than about 3K miles/year. We're talking nickles and dimes here.

Menno
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 19 2015, 06:22 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Other than the increased cost, it should work fine and the lack of ethanol should help save the fuel system in a car that's only occasionally driven.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 19 2015, 09:09 AM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

It's only 4 points higher than what the 1.7 is spec'ed for. Should not cause any problems.

(For those of us in the US who are going cuckoo about 100+ octane, remember that RON is a different ratings scale than we use. The 102 RON gas would be labeled 97 or 98 octane at a US pump. Still high, but not quite race gas.)

--DD
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Aug 19 2015, 10:31 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 107
Region Association: None

Menno...
I think you already answered your own question...
"My other classics love it"

If your TR3A and SAAB 96 love it so will your 914...

You know I get all these answers that by me using VP-110 (MON 107/RON 113) race fuel in my old 914-6 street car it's just a waste and bla bla bla.....sure it is 2.5 times more expensive that the local "oxygenated"gasoline with alcohol, MTBE and who knows what else ..
but every time I go out and start the 45 year old car...all I have to do is press the gas pedal down 3 times to wet the carb chokes and turn the key and it starts right up....every damn time....heck even my lawn mower and 2 cycle leaf blower run better with it....
So bottom line it works for me and apparently for your vintage Triumph and SAAB
Your 914 will like you a lot more.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Have Fun driving your vintage cars!
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Aug 19 2015, 12:15 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the comments, guys! I was afraid that the Injection system would 'oppose against it'.

So, off to the petrol stations two block from my house next time I have to fill the tank!

Menno
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 01:27 AM