Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternator - to rebuild or not to rebuild
iankarr
post Dec 18 2015, 07:53 AM
Post #1

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Hi Guys,

While my motor is out and getting cleaned up, I'm wondering if I should have the alternator rebuilt. Power was fine before the teardown, but given how much of a PITA it is to change the alternator with the motor in the car, do you think it's a good "might as well" to rebuild it now? Buy a new one?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
reharvey
post Dec 18 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,308
Region Association: North East States

Just buy a rebuilt one. There are lots of them around at whatever price you want to pay.
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Dec 18 2015, 10:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Dec 18 2015, 05:53 AM) *

Hi Guys,

While my motor is out and getting cleaned up, I'm wondering if I should have the alternator rebuilt. Power was fine before the teardown, but given how much of a PITA it is to change the alternator with the motor in the car, do you think it's a good "might as well" to rebuild it now? Buy a new one?

I rebuilt mine it was not difficult. It was mainly to do it myself and not so much to save money, it only cost about $25 for the bearings and new brushes. You may also need to turn down any ridges on the commutator, a lathe is required.
You have probably seen this but if you havnt then it may be helpful. http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/alt1.html
If you do rebuild yourself then I reccomend that you take it and get it tested before installing.
+Quote Post
larryM
post Dec 19 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #4

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

X2

QUOTE(reharvey @ Dec 18 2015, 05:57 AM) *

Just buy a rebuilt one. There are lots of them around at whatever price you want to pay.

+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Dec 20 2015, 09:15 AM
Post #5

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

914 alternators are very robust. I've only seen three fail in the last 40 years. Use your old one, and get a new cooling boot. About 12 bucks at Bughaus.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 20 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 21 2015, 04:15 AM) *

914 alternators are very robust. I've only seen three fail in the last 40 years. Use your old one, and get a new cooling boot. About 12 bucks at Bughaus.

Very true ,bosch altenators are very well made,only replaced bearings in one of mine cause they had gone dry,spun fine but wanted it to last.
DIY is very easy and while you are there you can polish the commutator and give the whole thing a good clean with brake/ electrical cleaner.
IMO on a four or six its not an easy job with engine in best to do it @ point of overhaul or engine out.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:56 AM