Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Mounted Oil Cooler?, Anyone? Engine type does not matter...
Cracker
post Dec 23 2015, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I'm looking to add a second oil cooler at the back of the car/engine compartment...has anyone else mounted coolers in the back? If so, please post pictures and results. This is for engine oil but I'll have to plumb a cooler for the trans too - so either way. I'd prefer NOT to run lines to the front if I can get around that - somebody might confuse me with a conformist. Thanks!

PS: Of interest is how you routed air to the coolers too...

Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jmill
post Dec 23 2015, 05:25 PM
Post #2

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Here's one. Several more I'm sure if you search.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6&hl=cooler

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 23 2015, 06:16 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

John - thank you. I am aware of many common methods and have searched the forum...thus my post. I'm hoping someone who has not posted their installs responds too. Are you're fans pushers? I'm guessing so based upon what you said...thanks!

T
+Quote Post
ljubodraz
post Dec 23 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,312

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 23 2015, 06:16 PM) *

John - thank you. I am aware of many common methods and have searched the forum...thus my post. I'm hoping someone who has not posted their installs responds too. Are you're fans pushers? I'm guessing so based upon what you said...thanks!

T

Did you check out Pete Dubler's old tech article on Pelican Parts? Rear mount and the fan pulls if I remember correctly. Shows all parts and plumbing.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 23 2015, 09:00 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Thanks. No I hadn't but I just did - that won't help me unfortunately. The one achilles heel with an LS (on track) is oil temperature - coolant is fine. I'm already running a very large, 36-row Setrab, mounted in the rear but not in "airflow". I thought the 850 cfm puller fan would be adequate to dissipate the heat. Wrong. I saw a high of 290 degree RETURNED oil, post cooler. It was not working. If I backed off the rpms just a little bit it dove down to about 260. I have controlled oil temp in LS's in the past but with front mounted (and much smaller) coolers. Its all about getting airflow through them. I'm plumbing a second, smaller 19 row unit with twin 3" ducts/shroud in the rear. In addition, I'm shrouding the input side of the large cooler and feeding it with two more 3" intake air. Time will tell but I think we can achieve the temps we need to see. If not, I have no choice but to run my coolers up front. I hope that doesn't happen but if that's what it takes. Oh well.

Although I'm sure all of this has been done at some time...I haven't seen a design/location that suits my needs yet. Its hard to be the "pioneer" sometimes...if my system works, I'll pass it along to the V8 crowd.

Tony

QUOTE(ljubodraz @ Dec 23 2015, 09:45 PM) *

T

Did you check out Pete Dubler's old tech article on Pelican Parts? Rear mount and the fan pulls if I remember correctly. Shows all parts and plumbing.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Dec 23 2015, 10:58 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

http://imgur.com/a/6u4ew

My temps hit 240 once and I didn't try to push it any further before I had an external oil cooler. Now it never touches 210.

And slight note as the cooler is not braced against the muffler bracket anymore - I changed that around.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Dec 24 2015, 12:34 AM
Post #7

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

[quote name='Cracker' date='Dec 23 2015, 07:00 PM' post='2280899']
Thanks. No I hadn't but I just did - that won't help me unfortunately. The one achilles heel with an LS (on track) is oil temperature - coolant is fine. I'm already running a very large, 36-row Setrab, mounted in the rear but not in "airflow". I thought the 850 cfm puller fan would be adequate to dissipate the heat. Wrong. I saw a high of 290 degree RETURNED oil, post cooler. It was not working. If I backed off the rpms just a little bit it dove down to about 260. I have controlled oil temp in LS's in the past but with front mounted (and much smaller) coolers. Its all about getting airflow through them. I'm plumbing a second, smaller 19 row unit with twin 3" ducts/shroud in the rear. In addition, I'm shrouding the input side of the large cooler and feeding it with two more 3" intake air. Time will tell but I think we can achieve the temps we need to see. If not, I have no choice but to run my coolers up front. I hope that doesn't happen but if that's what it takes. Oh well.

Although I'm sure all of this has been done at some time..

.I haven't seen a design/location that suits my needs yet. Its hard to be the "pioneer" sometimes...if my system works, I'll pass it along to the V8 crowd

I would think something mounted at the back off the trunk in a spoiler or rear side of Targa top could be the solution

But just think of it as a spitfire or p-51 mustange

A wing ,in this case downforce with a n a c a Duct with the
Heat exchanger and utilize the merideth effect

Or

Look at a 911 air cooled turbo

Pop the wing /hood/trunk

And there's a huge heat exchanger built in

But you don't see that

I think the
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 24 2015, 12:44 AM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

What is your fan shroud like on the existing fan cooler?

I ran 3 different ducts to my rear tranny cooler and had the best temp results from a fan with a really good shroud

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 23 2015, 08:00 PM) *

Although I'm sure all of this has been done at some time...I haven't seen a design/location that suits my needs yet. Its hard to be the "pioneer" sometimes...if my system works, I'll pass it along to the V8 crowd.

Tony

QUOTE(ljubodraz @ Dec 23 2015, 09:45 PM) *

T

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 24 2015, 08:35 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Thanks! That is nice to see and hear. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Brant - The fan is a factory Setrab shroud unit (puller). My problem is the intake air for it is not shrouded, nor in any type of airflow. I'm going to build a topside shroud for the big cooler and duct it from airflow from under the chassis (from around the bellhousing). LS Motors are notorious for running insane oil temps but that doesn't mean its good for the motor - it is not.

With a little patience and time anything can be figured out but I've got a little more going on in the rear than most. A little higher hurdle, so to speak. Thanks for the ideas and insight!

Merry Christmas all!

Tony

QUOTE(patssle @ Dec 23 2015, 11:58 PM) *

http://imgur.com/a/6u4ew

My temps hit 240 once and I didn't try to push it any further before I had an external oil cooler. Now it never touches 210.

And slight note as the cooler is not braced against the muffler bracket anymore - I changed that around.

+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Dec 24 2015, 09:20 AM
Post #10

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629

This might give you some ideas...

Orange ducting that's attached to the oil cooler manifold goes to a NACA duct in the rear of the passenger side rocker cover and into the engine bay right under the fresh air grill. 5" thermostatically activated puller fans on the rear side of the oil cooler.
Obviously I'm running a T4, and I also don't race my car, but my oil temps are pretty rock solid around 200 degrees.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 24 2015, 09:24 AM
Post #11

914 Wizard

what is the shroud like between the cooler and the fan?
it needs to be air tight, is it?

I tried 2 different ducts to collect air through a 4(?) inch tube
air through a tube made little difference.
but when I built the duct work and added the fan, I found the most difference.
and I disconnected all of the ram air ducts at that point.

here is version one of my duct and feeder tube, with trunk mounted cooler
(minimal effect)

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 24 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Thanks Era : I am planning on doing something similar to what you have done with the new and smaller cooler. Thanks.

Brant: The shroud for the puller fan is factory installed and tight...I haven't got a "shroud" yet on the intake side, opposite the fan. I am fabricating one over the next week and plan to feed it with two 3" "ram-air" ducks. So are you saying you ultimately removed the intake/ram air tube? I obviously already have the fan and hope that by shrouding the intake, adding forced air to the cooler + adding a second, smaller cooler that is ducted to ram-air, together they'll bring the temps down to a reasonable level. Sorry for the run on sentence...lol!

T
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Dec 24 2015, 12:41 PM
Post #13

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Dec 24 2015, 04:48 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 15,673

Go to the Lapuwali Classic forum, there's a whole thread on rear aux coolers.
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Dec 24 2015, 05:06 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 17,215

I have always wondered about an oil cooler integrated into the rear spoiler. Way external and visible, but maybe not this much:

Attached Image

Form before function, but always before beauty!
(Hint: it's supposed to be ugly)
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Dec 24 2015, 05:14 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,215

QUOTE(Hank914 @ Dec 24 2015, 03:06 PM) *

I have always wondered about an oil cooler integrated into the rear spoiler. Way external and visible, but maybe not this much:

Attached Image

Form before function, but always before beauty!
(Hint: it's supposed to be ugly)

Maybe like this:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 24 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Thanks you'all...I'll see whats possible when the new cooler arrives. Do you think the Tech Squad would have a problem with this??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jmill
post Dec 24 2015, 07:01 PM
Post #18

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038

Long exposed external cooler lines up front are the new rage. They're taking over where "truck nutz" left off.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 24 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #19

914 Wizard

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 24 2015, 08:42 AM) *

Brant: The shroud for the puller fan is factory installed and tight...I haven't got a "shroud" yet on the intake side, opposite the fan. I am fabricating one over the next week and plan to feed it with two 3" "ram-air" ducks. So are you saying you ultimately removed the intake/ram air tube? I obviously already have the fan and hope that by shrouding the intake, adding forced air to the cooler + adding a second, smaller cooler that is ducted to ram-air, together they'll bring the temps down to a reasonable level. Sorry for the run on sentence...lol!

T

yourtwin cooler should help
I only shrouded the fan side
I did remove both versions of my ram air hoses
I was running ram air with no fan
Your combination may work better than my setup
My 2nd ram air was a scoop mounted to hang out the passenger side window in direct and clean air. Even with that "frontal air" the 4 inch tube was insufficient

My oil temps came down more with the puller fan and no ram air

But keep trying different setups
You will solve it

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 24 2015, 10:24 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Brant - That is what I thought you were saying...conventional wisdom would say the pressure built at 100+ mph would greatly exceed the benefit of the fan (roughly 40 mph) and therefore hurt the coolers efficiency. However, if you've had the the opposite result, I'll give it a try. Thanks to all who have contributed and I'll keep you posted - it will be awhile, most likely, before I hit the track again but time will tell.

Tony

I "thought" this would be a decent location since its away from direct heat sources and exausting the coolers hot air downward, away from the intake plumbing. I'm going to try to leave this cooler in place and just direct fresh air into a shroud topside. I failed to share a picture and thought it might help visualize my current setup. Cheers!

Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 04:27 AM