Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT...wireless issues
Joe Bob
post Apr 4 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #1

Retired admin, banned a few times

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

I had a Lynksis wireless hub and it sucked...it was a "B" model....constant drops and spotty connectivity....gave it the float test and now I have a "G" set up.....gives me an "Excellent" reading but only 54 Mbps....then it drops....then comes back up....

My hard cable gives 100Mbps.....

I have turned off all the remote phones....nothing changes.....

Is there some kind of monitor that can read interfernce on the frequencies that it transmits on?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Apr 4 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #2

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

you might be able to use one of the things for finding hot spots, i mean it looks for signals in that range.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 4 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #3

Whut....one of dem "divining rods"?
+Quote Post
skline
post Apr 4 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #4

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Read the FCC label on the unit, I would bet it says it must accept any interference on it. The unit is a transmitter and reciever so it must comply with FCC. If you are just using it for internet, then dont worry about it, I am sure it will always be faster than your internet connection. The only time you will use that kind of bandwidth would be transferring files from one computer to another on your internal network.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 4 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #5

My main issue is the drops.....I think something is interfering....would like to eliminate it....aka ...hunt it down and kill it....
+Quote Post
skline
post Apr 4 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #6

Born to Drive

If you are using AOL I can tell you what the problem is. You get 3 guesses and the first 2 dont count.

I do know how to resolve that problem also. Not sure if I want to tell, how much money you got?
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Apr 4 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #7

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

well i found one at office depot, but it filters out other signals. maybe you could find a cheaper one that does not filter as much out. this
is what i am talking about.

there are other options, like a bug sweeper. they look for wireless signals with out regard to what they are from, i have one but its broke. so you might want to ask any friends you have in private security if they have one you can barrow.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Apr 4 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #8

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

okay if its D-link i have the same problem, bought another and prob solved...in a typical 60s built house with 2 stories, 2 APs aare needed...if you have more than one YOU MUST SET THE CHANNELS VERY APART 1 6 and 11 are good ones, use 6 only if you have 3 APs....
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 4 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 4 2005, 07:44 PM)
nothing changes.....

get used to it ...

WiFi my ass, there is a reason why you only see real wires in my house/office ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/type.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Apr 4 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 4

why don't you just change channels on the wireless setup?
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Apr 4 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #11

Sir Post-a-lot

QUOTE (SirAndy @ Apr 4 2005, 10:15 PM)
nothing changes.....

get used to it ...

WiFi my ass, there is a reason why you only see real wires in my house/office ...

yes...i agree, but when you have a psycho mom that loaths wires and yells at you incessantly at the sight of them, you gotta make a few changes....more APs, less problems...hell at western we put in 40 APs, each costing a couple grand...... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) space those channels out though, thats my job at work....wireless performance management.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 4 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 4 2005, 08:13 PM)
okay if its D-link i have the same problem, bought another and prob solved...in a typical 60s built house with 2 stories, 2 APs aare needed...if you have more than one YOU MUST SET THE CHANNELS VERY APART 1 6 and 11 are good ones, use 6 only if you have 3 APs....

Dude....I'm sitting so close to it I could whip it out and pee on the damn thing.....

I was trying to buy some ticket online for the monsters to go to Universal Studios and the WIFI crapped out right in the middle of the transaction.....

How do I change the channels?
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Apr 4 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #13

Sir Post-a-lot

QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 4 2005, 10:23 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 4 2005, 08:13 PM)

Dude....I'm sitting so close to it I could whip it out and pee on the damn thing.....

I was trying to buy some ticket online for the monsters to go to Universal Studios and the WIFI crapped out right in the middle of the transaction.....

How do I change the channels?

well Z, tell me what brand it is....don't whip it out yet....thats plan B.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
914GT
post Apr 4 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

Microwave ovens, which operate at the same frequency, are good at taking a wireless network down. If your neighbor lives close enough even theirs can hose your link.
+Quote Post
skline
post Apr 4 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #15

Born to Drive

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 4 2005, 08:22 PM)
nothing changes.....

get used to it ...

yes...i agree, but when you have a psycho mom that loaths wires and yells at you incessantly at the sight of them, you gotta make a few changes....more APs, less problems...hell at western we put in 40 APs, each costing a couple grand...... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) space those channels out though, thats my job at work....wireless performance management.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

You do wireless performance and you have a D-link at home? I have only been doing wireless since 1995 when I set up the 26 AP's at pier G for Sealand. Why would you choose the bottom of the line crap for your home? Linksys is by far the best home unit you can buy for the money. If you want professional equipment, go with Orinoco as it is probably one of the best on the market. When I did the port of Long Beach back in the 90's we used Aeronet which was bought out by Cisco. Linksys was also bought out by Cisco and the technology of the Aeronet is used in the new G system from Cisco.

Mike, if you want the least amount of interference, go with an AP that runs in the 5.3GHz range instead of 2.4
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Apr 4 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #16

Sir Post-a-lot

QUOTE (skline @ Apr 4 2005, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 4 2005, 08:22 PM)
nothing changes.....

get used to it ...

You do wireless performance and you have a D-link at home? I have only been doing wireless since 1995 when I set up the 26 AP's at pier G for Sealand. Why would you choose the bottom of the line crap for your home? Linksys is by far the best home unit you can buy for the money. If you want professional equipment, go with Orinoco as it is probably one of the best on the market. When I did the port of Long Beach back in the 90's we used Aeronet which was bought out by Cisco. Linksys was also bought out by Cisco and the technology of the Aeronet is used in the new G system from Cisco.

i personally dont like any of them...i had a linksys WAP11 and it shit out ALL THE FREAKING TIME...this was on sale...it works for now and thats that....gimme $$$ for a cisco aeronet 1200 (like they used at WKU) and i'll be happy to use it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) D-link worked okay fer me so far, i'll wait till it craps out and then i'll get a cisco....

and how can you recommend a 802.11a AP if you dont know if he has a A card, or that his range will be quartered bc of using the 5Ghz band...A sucks and always has.....
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Apr 4 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #17

Sir Post-a-lot

there is something really wrong with Z's setup....bc if he is getting dropped connections and he can PEEE ON THE THING...range isnt a issue....Z, you dont have a microwave near you to cook TV dinners while you sit at your computer all night do you?
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 4 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #18

Britt....Linksys Wireless G, 2.4 GHz
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Apr 4 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #19

Sir Post-a-lot

QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 4 2005, 10:42 PM)
Britt....Linksys Wireless G, 2.4 GHz

well channel changing isnt going to get you a better range...if you can pee on it and its still dropping signals, i'm guessing a hardware problem....plus the fact windoze says "excellent" b4 it cuts out means its not signal related.....like i dunno, time for plan B......keep the recipt and get a new one...i'm calling hardware problem.....
+Quote Post
skline
post Apr 4 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #20

Born to Drive

You must not know as much about wireless and you think, 802.11a is what the Aeronet unit runs on. Its old technology, the newer units 802.11a are more refined and work much better, They also cost almost twice as much which is why many went to 802.11b and now 802.11g, just because its more popular, doesnt make it better. Orinoco runs 802.11a. You are a student talking to a professor, do your research before you come back to me with arguments.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 11:24 PM