Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parts?, Beginning my '76 resto.
BiG bOgGs
post Jul 30 2016, 05:07 PM
Post #1

The Bogus One

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,829
Region Association: South East States

Hello All! I am just starting into the restoration of my '76 2.0L 914. Finally removed the engine today and got the heads off. Although I know I need to get one of the exhaust stud threads fixed in the one head, they look really good.
"While I am in there", I would like to replace the cam with a more modern one, and would like some suggestions as to my options. Also, I would like to know what other "while I am in there" options I should consider.
I suppose I should also mention that I will be replacing the stock FI with a micro squirt system. I am not going with anything radical, just trying to rebuild an engine that will run strong and smooth on the roads.Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 31 2016, 08:49 AM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Stock is the Webcam 142 but if you want strong get the Rabycam from the Type4store as it adds 10-15hp.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 31 2016, 09:13 AM
Post #3

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

You might be able to go a little more radical cam than that one as that Raby cam was setup to work with D-jet, Type-4 store might have a better cam for your combo. Not sure I would use Micro-Squirt, but have not keep up on its abilities as of late. I thought it did spark lose on 4 cylinders? That was from memory so I could be significantly wrong.

I would recam it, if you want the most out of your four, you should also look at Tangerine Raing for a set of headers. Chris' work is bar none the best for the 914-4. I don't get reimbursement for saying this BTW, just owned a lot of his products they are all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) in my book.

The cam, header, and great fuel delivery would get you a long way to a very nice little -4.
+Quote Post
BiG bOgGs
post Jul 31 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #4

The Bogus One

Member No.: 2,829
Region Association: South East States

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have checked out the 9590 cam at the Type4 Store. I will put it at the top of my list. I was also looking for header, but I will have to really spend some time massaging the wife before that kind of money gets released. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

As for the Mocrosquirt, yes, it does use wasted spark on 4 cylinder engines, but that doesn't cause any problems at street rpm's.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 31 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #5

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Other headers out there, like this one, European Racing
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 10:56 AM