Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Club Sponsored Tent at the Runoffs, Help your racers win in September
ChrisFoley
post May 18 2005, 07:04 PM
Post #1

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

The SCCA Club Racing National Championships are being held at
the Mid Ohio Sports Car Course from September 19 through the 25th. This is the last year that the Runoffs will be held at Mid-Ohio.
Several club members, as well as a number of other 914 guys from across the country, will be driving their 914 race cars in an effort to win a National Championship in their respective classes.
We would like to officially represent the Club at this big, week long event!
We need people to organize and $$ to make this happen.

What we are hoping to have is a tent big enough to work on at least 8 race cars, on the tarmac in the lower paddock, just like the Mazda, Nissan, etc. guys get with their factory support.
This will put us closer to the action, therefore less running around. Our cars will stay cleaner and be easier to work on than being in the upper unpaved paddock.
Being together will help us all be ready for the races so we will put on a good show and get proper notice by the Speed TV camera crews on the track.

Hopefully someone from the Club can step up and organize this so the racers can concentrate on their cars and their racing.
Tasks include: contacting the track to make sure we will have the space we need; finding a tent rental company; having a 914 Club banner to go on the front of the tent; organizing people to provide cooking and gopher services; security; etc.
The total costs may reach or exceed $3000 for everything, so your donations will be much appreciated!

Each race driver gets at least three crew passes, so people helping out will be given free access to the track facility during the week as well as on the race days.
The tentative driver list includes:
E Production- Erik Madsen and Kevin Groot
F Production - Chris Foley, Ed Givler, Tom Burdge, Les Handly, Mark Hotchkiss, Keith Peare, Kyle Dolbow
GT2 - Steve Limbert
As the season progresses I'll be checking for other 914 drivers who are working to qualify for the Championships.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
william harris
post May 18 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #2

914 Restorer

Member No.: 1,539

I suggest that some enterprising member set up a PayPal account to make this happen for our racers. I can't go to Mid-Ohio, but I sure am willing to send some bucks to make our guys know the 914 club banner will be there. Volunteers? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif) Chris, if you will send me the phone number for the track I will call and inquire about arrangements for a tent and locate a local tent rental company, etc. After all the bitchin' today everybody should get off their ass and get behind these guys. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post May 18 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I can probably provide the banner.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 18 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Chris,

I met with a national magazine today that is going to help us get a better price for the tent and help us get sponsors for this "event". I brought it up with them a few weeks back when we chatted about it in the other thread (Eric and I) They have a ton of pull with SCCA and said they would help out in several ways. We actually have a ad coming out with them hitting the stands soon. They are 100% behind me/this club and the racers. They will prove to be a VERY valuable asset to our "cause".

I'll calll soon with more details.

B
+Quote Post
scotty914
post May 18 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #5

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

i will be there if i dont do the wwc06, and i can bring the wcc05 banner just for show

if i do the wcc o6 teri and i will be invading so cal for a week before the portland invasion happens
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 18 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

ECR is Sept. 16th to the 18th. This sounds like a really cool event. I need to win the lottery!
+Quote Post
Brett W
post May 18 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

If things work out I will be helping Kevin and anyone else that needs it in the pits. My car won't qualify for the RunOffs.
+Quote Post
mistro
post May 19 2005, 02:49 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,786

I'd like to volunteer my services. My $$ are available too. Not sure if I am geographically desirable but what do you need me to do? Rgds, Michael
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 19 2005, 07:17 AM
Post #9

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ May 18 2005, 11:23 PM)
Chris,

I met with a national magazine today that is going to help us get a better price for the tent and help us get sponsors for this "event". I brought it up with them a few weeks back when we chatted about it in the other thread (Eric and I) They have a ton of pull with SCCA and said they would help out in several ways. We actually have a ad coming out with them hitting the stands soon. They are 100% behind me/this club and the racers. They will prove to be a VERY valuable asset to our "cause".

I'll calll soon with more details.

B

That sounds awesome Brad! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)
I will be waiting anxiously to hear more. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
It would be great if Rich B. and/or Ron W. were up for
the trip to Ohio this year too. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post May 19 2005, 08:03 AM
Post #10

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

Not sure if I am make the run offs but I am willing to help anyway I can.
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post May 19 2005, 08:44 AM
Post #11

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

I need to check with my logistical coordinator and see what's going on around that time. I'm not sure what all I can help with, but if I can show up and do menial tasks, be a parts runner, cook food - whatever, I'll see what I can do.

Tom
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post May 19 2005, 08:55 AM
Post #12

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

I was actually speaking to the folks at Mid-Ohio yesterday regarding an entirely different matter. However, I got the impression that their "prime" spaces in the lower paddock are spoken-for long in advance. Has anyone inquired to see if getting space for the 914Club Tent in the lower paddock is even a possibility?
+Quote Post
william harris
post May 19 2005, 09:04 AM
Post #13

914 Restorer

Hey someone needs to be in charge. Let's not go off with multiple people speaking to the track and/or SCCA and have a cluster of confusion and chaos. (thought I'd use the bad thing, huh? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif) ). So, since Brad seems to be dealing with the big boys with pull and $, I will stand down until asked to do otherwise. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/Yack.gif)
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post May 19 2005, 09:08 AM
Post #14

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

QUOTE (Paul Heery @ May 19 2005, 10:55 AM)
I was actually speaking to the folks at Mid-Ohio yesterday regarding an entirely different matter...

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes. Just trying to make a suggestion.

+Quote Post
william harris
post May 19 2005, 12:44 PM
Post #15

914 Restorer

Paul, Brad, Chris, et. al., no one is stepping on anyone's toes. These events have very long lead ins and as Paul has already pointed out, the Track and SCCA have probably already given out of the prime locations to known big players. Paul may very well have the inside tract to someone's ear at Mid Ohio. Brad and the unnamed magazine (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) Excellence??? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) may want to pitch their own proposal and they sure know what they have in mind and how much $$$ they are putting up. I am volunteering to do whatever I can to help this project along. For now it looks like Brad is in charge and I just want Chris, Erik and the rest of our racers to know that lots of us are here to help. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) Go get em guys. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif) I did serve as Concours Chair for NE PCA and have arranged similiar events in the past. If I am needed just let me know. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
groot
post May 19 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #16

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

This is really cool. I'm in... if I can scrounge up enough points. We definitely need a Raby banner, too.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 19 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #17

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I have one of those.... Super nice one I might add!

Its getting closer!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 19 2005, 01:15 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

It's not Excellence.. I have been approached by a Vintage racing magazine (on the stands since 1986) about promoting and pushing the 914 cause. They love the little cars and have noticed the same thing I have noticed (lots of vintage racing going on with 914's) They hold Can Am events.. Vintage Indy car events.. and Vintage Formula1 events all of the world. I *think* they can help us. I'll know more tomorrow morning (Friday) when I meet with them next.

Wait until you see what we have planned for Laguna Seca this year!!

B
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post May 19 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,335

Wicked Pisser., Er ah that means really cool in New England speak.

Heres what I have learned, Nothing!

The two contact names I have are Mary Wier and Bob Khan. This is the ALMS weekend at Mid Ohio and both of them were not available , but I left messages. I will ascertain the availability of the tent space in the paved paddock.

Heres a list of things to do to make this happen.

1. Determine whos in charge. This person would not only coordinate this but attend as well to ensure the op goes as planned.

2. Determine who will be involved and their responsibilities. Crew, Cook, Tent, Blog etc..

3. Will someone set up a Paypal account, to assist in paying for this. This probably needs to be addressed now. Any accountant types should apply right to this post.

For those of you who are still unaware. This could be something really cool. Porsche has forgotten about us except for the cost of the parts. Now, they only supported the 914 for a short time and it won a bunch. We have the chance to make a showing like the Nissan and Mazda factories, and we are a club. This would make a profound impact on 914 owners and the 914 club.

As for us racers. Your help to make this fly would really assist us in putting on a good show. Many of the names Chris Foley listed have potential to finish near the front in a 914. If we play our cards right, this could be a nice article in Excellence or even Pano. Not sure, But I will tell you this, The Runoffs is one helluva experience if you like cars.

Erik Madsen
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post May 19 2005, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,335

This is an excerpt from my other post. William Harris had this idea in another post. I thought I would elaborate. It should be a buttload of fun. See below.

Partial Highjak:Under the idea of involvement

Post Script: For those of you that don't understand what Chris Foley is talking about with his comment about a Runoffs tent. For those of you that don't know. The Runoffs is the end of the year race at Mid Ohio for SCCA competitors, held this year September 19-25, it is an invitation only, week long meet which you must qualify to attend. This year should have a record amount of 914's over 8 at last count. This is tremendous! We are trying to get club members to become involved in a couple ways.

1. The paddock parking at MO sucks, sometimes you are in the mud. Because the event is so large competitors must park in the "upper" paddock which, if it rains becomes mud because it is grass. There is a solution. The main paddock is paved, and if you have enough cars,bring a sizeable (your own) tent, and register for the space, you can have paved paddock space and premier recognition. This is mostly for manufacturers Mazda, Toyota etc.. We (the racers) are asking anyone in the club to be willing to get a tent of appropriate size (cover 8 cars) and be willing to set it up and take it down. As competitors we will have our hands full with the cars and competing. We need your help. And after all these years of the Porsche Factory sticking it to us on parts (the car is 30 plus years old) and the overall lack of support, would'nt it be funny as hell to have a "Factory 914 Club" tent. If I wasn't (but I am) racing , I would love to see this. Really stick it to them if you know what I mean.

2.Food.

During race week, if you are a chef or think you can BBQ like a mad man, and want to lend your support, we don't expect to eat for free, but this is a way someone without mechanical abilities but a desire to be part of the team and could be involved. We aren't expecting no almondine, kipper laced, tarragon basil creation, but something better than track food and hot, brown and plenty of it would be awesome.

3.Blog.

We need a blogger, this would be a PR type that would indicate to the magazines, local PCA etc.. that the 914 club will have a racers tent at the Runoffs. also duties would include blogging at the track, so this person will need an uplink so they can post pictures to the Club as to what everyone is doing and what is taking place. This is very important. This will require a really good digital camera and a press pass, so this person can get some really good action shots for the BBS. The SCCA lists the lap times as the race and qualifying happens in real time. So with Photos and lap times and bloging, this really can be a interactive event, maybe even a live cam looking down inside the tent? I am not sure. But it's an idea. An a way to be involved.

4. Track support. Some of the competitors will be wary of new mechanics working on there cars, but there is plenty of stuff to do if you want to be involved, gas, times, parts, cleaning, tire swaps etc..

5. Klingons, Yes we need some groupies as well, bring one, bring all. Don't forget the Umbrela girls, if you have any of those stashed away, please unstash them and send them to the Runoffs for visual reckoning.

This about covers what we had in mind. This should be an awesome way to be involved. Otherwise you can throw some money at it if you want, but your involvement will be most appreciated.So how about it, anyone got a circus tent laying around (hold the elephant poop and the peanuts). Again sorry for the Highjack.

Erik Madsen
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 08:31 AM