Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Experienced Competetion Drivers..., What did this guy do wrong?
MikeInMunich
post Aug 31 2017, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,674
Region Association: None

Hey Guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

I can't figure out what happened in this crash, which you may or may not have seen on You Tube. You can easily find it by searching "914 Accident".

Here is the URL: https://youtu.be/BHYYlTZIZQ4

I estimate that in the video the guy covers about 125m in 3 seconds (while sliding), which is 2500 per minute...150 km/hr or 91 mph. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

So he's going into a curve which isn't sharp at just under 100 MPH with nearly optimum tires and suspension, and he loses it. I can't speak from experience at all here. I've never been in a curve at that speed, athough I can say that my car, with 195-50 Goodrich G-Force Sport Comps (HIGHLY recommend, by the way, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)) front AND rear sway bars and Bilstine performance struts, can easily handle much sharper turns (exit ramps) at about 60 MPH with no problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I'm interested in hearing opinions of what happened here and why he seems to have not counter steered at all to regain control. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Looking forward to your comments, opinions and insights! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Thanks!

By the way, anybody heading over to Munich for the Oktoberfest? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

M.i.M.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Racer
post Aug 31 2017, 02:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

More about this here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=213555

If you look at the very beginning, the driver was already in trouble, fighting grip and coming (too close?) to the inside of the corner. No idea of actual speed or what the course looked like preceding where the video picks up.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Aug 31 2017, 02:25 PM
Post #3

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Just a few panels from Restoration Design and that car will race again!!
+Quote Post
drifter914
post Aug 31 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #4

drifter914

Member No.: 15,863
Region Association: Southwest Region

Keep your eye on the guy in blue checkered shirt (w/camera) on the corner. When the 914 comes into sight the shirt is right on the edge of track, which is the very line the driver has for his corner. Shirt does not flinch or move back as he is focused on his lens. Driver has to make an unintended reflex move to avoid clipping the shirt, which sets him up for the subsequent lose of control. Maybe... or maybe not ! Looks likely though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Aug 31 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #5

As Racer has pointed out and many of you already know, this topic has been discussed at the link he provided, above.

Looking at the video again I also believe that it's very likely that the accident was primarily caused by his apparent attempt to steer away from the guy in the blue shirt taking pictures at the edge of the road. Once he made that steer away at that speed he was in trouble, agreed?

So what would he have needed to do to regain control after his (faulty?) counter steer to the original "mistake"?
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Aug 31 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,948
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(drifter914 @ Aug 31 2017, 01:33 PM) *

Keep your eye on the guy in blue checkered shirt (w/camera) on the corner. When the 914 comes into sight the shirt is right on the edge of track, which is the very line the driver has for his corner. Shirt does not flinch or move back as he is focused on his lens. Driver has to make an unintended reflex move to avoid clipping the shirt, which sets him up for the subsequent lose of control. Maybe... or maybe not ! Looks likely though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Agree with drifter9014 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Aug 31 2017, 02:56 PM
Post #7

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

Texting? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Aug 31 2017, 03:31 PM
Post #8

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

Looks like he was out of control before he even got to the guy with the shirt. It all happens in the first 0:01 of the video. If he doesn't make the adjustment, at a minimum his front right tire goes off the pavement prior to the camera/pic guy in blue shirt. Therefore, I would conclude that the guy taking the pic (although risking his life IMHO) had nothing to do with it.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 31 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #9

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Fractional error. He was at 11/10's and had only 10/10's talent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 31 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

The photog is a convenient scapegoat but in reality he screwed himself regardless. That car should NOT have been allowed to race with that shit-box cage. Luckily for him, he crashed very early in the run...

PS: I did not see the link but I believe it is the fool who kicked the teener. If so, he is an idiot driving above his limits as Rob stated. BTW: He lifted and paid the price...

T
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Aug 31 2017, 04:35 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Agree with Boxterfan. Without correction he was going in the ditch. Unfortunately that led to hitting the rock. Damn lucky to walk away from that.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Aug 31 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

From the video perspective, he was already in trouble.. a little "early" to apex? While I can't hear the audio (If any?) he no doubt both swerved a little left and lifted off the gas to avoid the camera man that suddenly appeared in his line of sight, which upset the cars balance and the previous "drift" he was no doubt in when a line correction was needed. Its all about balance and managing the weight of the car on those 4 little contact patches.

It was likely compounded by the fact that while turning, the pavement appears to come "down hill" towards the guy with the camera. So, we already have a weight transition in the car from back to front, loading the front of the car which then magnifies the steering correction due to the sudden increased grip.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Aug 31 2017, 05:29 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,907

I think the dude with the camera sold his line.
He may still have run out of track on to the left, but I doubt it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Aug 31 2017, 05:43 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 31 2017, 02:22 PM) *

The photog is a convenient scapegoat but in reality he screwed himself regardless. That car should NOT have been allowed to race with that shit-box cage. Luckily for him, he crashed very early in the run...

PS: I did not see the link but I believe it is the fool who kicked the teener. If so, he is an idiot driving above his limits as Rob stated. BTW: He lifted and paid the price...

T

I don't see how it's evident that the cage was significantly inferior. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 31 2017, 05:43 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I agree with all those that said he had already lost control before getting to the guy with the camera and was 11/10's.

He just didn't get the opposite steering going quick enough.
He had plenty of room to the outside of the turn as he only drifted/skidded to the middle lane markers.

If you've ever seen that Fascination video of the yellow Ruf on the Nurburgring, you'll see that in the right hands this type of slide is easily controlled/corrected for.
All it takes is experience.

A lot of the Pikes Peak hillclimb drivers are not so high on experience.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Aug 31 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #16

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

That was a few years ago. Look that boy is lucky to be alive. The right door and right front absorb the impact and the bad cage may of saved him.

Those big boulders where in the wrong spot for him on that day.

Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 31 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I'm not expert like many others here. The only thing I can say about this crash is this video has been on the here in the past. I also know that the spectators were idiots for walking on to the track.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 31 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Where do I start? Look at the basic observations...
By comparison sake - I have also attached a picture of a Boxster Spec racer at this Springs PCA Club Race at Road Atlanta. This car is stupid slow and yet super safe (and not potentially flying off cliffs into bolders!) - see the deficiencies now?

Tony

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Aug 31 2017, 07:43 PM) *

I don't see how it's evident that the cage was significantly inferior. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Under-Kill
Attached Image

Over-Kill
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 31 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Same boulders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXzWPDfGrYU
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 31 2017, 09:24 PM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(drifter914 @ Aug 31 2017, 01:33 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I saw it that way too. He's on the knife edge and when he lines up visually on the dude he lets out and loses it.

Who is to say that if he doesn't come off his line if he clips the guy or not, but either way, its an interesting video.

Does anyone know this guy to ask? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2024 - 01:19 PM