Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Momo horn button question..
Freezin 914
post Feb 25 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,687
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey everyone, I have changed my stock wheel to a protipo. I had purchased an additional horn button with the Porsche badge on it, when installed it “shorts out” and is basically sounds the horn constantly. After having this happen, went to the stock button. No issues. I would like to use the Porsche button if at all possible. Even if that means buying another button from another vendor. Any suggestions on this?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 26 2018, 12:00 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Maybe take some pictures. My Porsche momo button has two spade connectors. One goes to ground via one of the hub screws and the other goes to the wire from the horn ring. Pretty straight forward...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Feb 26 2018, 05:28 AM
Post #3

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

It's been a long time since I installed my Momo, but I remember that I had to use a Dremel tool to grind away a little aluminum inside the steering wheel so as to prevent the spade connector from contacting ground.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Feb 26 2018, 06:25 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

If your connections aren’t causing the short (mine weren’t when I installed my Porsche crest button) then I think I know the issue. The Momo button is just a think piece of aluminum. The Porsche crest button is thicker since it has leather as part of the button. That meant when I installed the Porsche crest button it was effectively ‘pushed’ all the time, causing the horn to sound. Try to install the Porsche button without the wires connected. Does it feel like there is very little movement to depress the button? If so that’s most likely your issue. There is a little cone piece under the button that I had to flatten slightly to give the button more play.

The electrical connections are simple. One to power and one negative. For negative I just placed the wire under the large wave washer that goes on before the large but that holds the steering wheel on.

Hope this helps!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:35 PM