Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steel flares, How many hours?
sb914
post Feb 28 2018, 08:26 AM
Post #1

Surf Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

Steel flares !! So for those of you who have done this, how many hours would a shop typically take ready for paint ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 28 2018, 08:30 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 28 2018, 06:26 AM) *

Steel flares !! So for those of you who have done this, how many hours would a shop typically take ready for paint ?

I am going to just say done correctly start to finish ready for paint 6 hours per corner.. The welding and grinding are about half of that. Then metal finish, filler, primer, block out..
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 28 2018, 08:37 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I'm about to start on mine. Maybe I should time it!
+Quote Post
defianty
post Feb 28 2018, 08:39 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 28 2018, 02:30 PM) *

I am going to just say done correctly start to finish ready for paint 6 hours per corner..The welding and grinding are about half of that. Then metal finish, filler, primer, block out..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Mine took about a days work each, but I am a novice.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Feb 28 2018, 08:50 AM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 28 2018, 10:30 AM) *

I am going to just say done correctly start to finish ready for paint 6 hours per corner...

At least 10 hours per corner - butt TIG welded, welds ground flat and hammered smooth, ready for filler/primer/paint. The bottom edges need substantial alteration to fit correctly.
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 28 2018, 08:55 AM
Post #6

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

I've seen someone do a complete steel set in 4 days...average results. Not to impressed.
Cost $2,500

Sean in San Diego took about two weeks total with PERFECT results. Aside from flares you need to fit GT rockers and valances.

Are you taking the plunge Eddy?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 28 2018, 08:56 AM
Post #7

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 28 2018, 06:50 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 28 2018, 10:30 AM) *

I am going to just say done correctly start to finish ready for paint 6 hours per corner...

At least 10 hours per corner - butt TIG welded, welds ground flat and hammered smooth, ready for filler/primer/paint. The bottom edges need substantial alteration to fit correctly.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 28 2018, 01:29 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Yup. What they said...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.originalcustoms.com-419-1519846140.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Feb 28 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 28 2018, 06:50 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) This is true!
I had to shorten (raise the bottom) the aft end of the rear flares by removing a strip about .75". I wanted to make sure the new flared arch matched the original wheel arch location. Had I not done this, the new flare arch would have been about .5" higher overall than the OE fender. Which would have made my car look 'lifted' even though it was not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 28 2018, 08:49 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Chris - That would be 24-hours PER corner for you...you will install and replace each corner at least two-times due to a hair-like flaw in the weld! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

T

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 28 2018, 09:37 AM) *

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 28 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 28 2018, 06:49 PM) *

Chris - That would be 24-hours PER corner for you...you will install and replace each corner at least two-times due to a hair-like flaw in the weld! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

T

^ditto, there is no way those flares are being installed as-is. They will be trimmed, stretched/shrank and spend some time on the English wheel for sure.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 28 2018, 11:11 PM
Post #12

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 28 2018, 08:33 PM) *

T

^ditto, there is no way those flares are being installed as-is. They will be trimmed, stretched/shrank and spend some time on the English wheel for sure.

Wait, you mean he's not making them from a flat sheet of steel?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 28 2018, 11:29 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 28 2018, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 28 2018, 08:33 PM) *

T

Wait, you mean he's not making them from a flat sheet of steel?

Shocking huh? I think I might have accidentally kicked one of them last time I was there, I'm sure that'll warrant a change of plans for sure.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Feb 28 2018, 11:54 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 28 2018, 08:50 AM) *

agree. took me about that much time
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 1 2018, 08:22 AM
Post #15

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

I would go with 12-24 hours per fender to do it "right". That is to get them on the car in my definition of right, Everyone's right way is different. For the factory racer look, it was most likely less than 30 minutes per fender. Why because well we here to win races, not beauty contests.

For the level of work people seem to want to now put into these cars, not bashing It, just say it is disproportionate, it would easily take 12 hours, and people would say wow those are really nice. But the best way is to butt TIG fusion weld the joint, no filler rod, and hammer each and ever weld point, get them all done, planish the entire thing and they end up looking like this.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

No filler, no wrinkles, just one solid piece of metal perfection at it's finest.

This guy's work can be found here and here. If these ONLY took 12 hours of shop time I would be surprised.

I know a few that can make the entire fender from a flat piece of metal. They will bring insane prices to the table, but their rates are spot on, it is just it takes insane time to produce this stuff by hand.

What it comes down to is your level of expectation and what your willing to pay to achieve your desired goals. Case in point, I was looking at a Ferrari 250GTO KIT the other day, the body looked great, all the proper bits in the proper places. Got it on the lift and I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) looked at my friend and said if you buy this car I will beat the living (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) out of you. Everything that was "custom-made" on the underside of the car was pure crap. Fitment was crap, welds were even crappier, and lest not even begin to think about all the other crap I would end up fixing this car. Car was already on the high side of his budget for a fun vehicle. I estimated it would take 80 plus hours, to repair the crapmenship in the car. And that was the crapmenship I could see. Only the original builder knew the quality of work that was done. For me, my level was much higher than the original builder. My friend passed on that dressed up pig. I am sure he will drag some other POS into the shop for review at another date.

Every time someone does a high end build the bar gets raised. What you don't see is the many ways to get to the finish line. I could do it in 30 minutes per side, the repair could last for years or maybe 10 minutes. I could spend 1000s of hours to get everything just perfect, side to side front to back etc.... Only YOU can figure the level you want out.

I built one in the 90s for a friend and he insisted on fiberglass flares, to get them to look correct, I spent way more hours than I documented. Hours upon hours down the drain. Only to have him drop it into a ditch out here, and rip the left rear off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) He should have spent the $$$ for steel. And at that time I would have MIG'd them on and we would have been done in like 6 hours per side. The car was being built for him, to his level of expectation, not mine. And he was paying for that level of work. MIG, grind, filler material put in, sand down, then paint.

I would also say Chris and Mark can do them in 12 hours because they have done more than 1 set in their life. Double or triple their time for your first one, and then the time will drop off on the other 3.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 1 2018, 08:50 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

When I put 6 hours that is because 95% of the body shops will cut, MIG, grind, fill, prime, block, paint.. 5% will TIG hammer, metal file, metal finish..

I am fine for MIG on my project as my car is in no way original, and I am doing the work myself so time is in no way an issue. I will spend 30 minutes at a time to weld,grind, hammer, weld, grind, hammer until I am happy with it. Keep in mind I am and aviation manufacturing TIG welder by trade with typical weld joints of .015-.035 thicknesses.. If I would have started with a cherry car to begin with I may have Tig welded them..

The turbo flares I did on my 911 I TIG welded were just as much hammering as the ones I MIG welded..
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 1 2018, 08:54 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

What a superb job!!!!!

When we made these flares, we actually took a factory original green set that Jim Bailey at Brumos had for years and scanned them at the same place that scanned the Ford GT 40 to make the fabulous Ford GT. We found that the flares were off left to right (meaning not mirror images) Back then when they were made things were not as precise as we can get them now. So we combined the left and right scans and then spit out identical mirror images. NOW we have look alike factory GT flares that are identical left to right.

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 1 2018, 07:22 AM) *

I would go with 12-24 hours per fender to do it "right". That is to get them on the car in my definition of right, Everyone's right way is different. For the factory racer look, it was most likely less than 30 minutes per fender. Why because well we here to win races, not beauty contests.

For the level of work people seem to want to now put into these cars, not bashing It, just say it is disproportionate, it would easily take 12 hours, and people would say wow those are really nice. But the best way is to butt TIG fusion weld the joint, no filler rod, and hammer each and ever weld point, get them all done, planish the entire thing and they end up looking like this.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

No filler, no wrinkles, just one solid piece of metal perfection at it's finest.

This guy's work can be found here and here. If these ONLY took 12 hours of shop time I would be surprised.

I know a few that can make the entire fender from a flat piece of metal. They will bring insane prices to the table, but their rates are spot on, it is just it takes insane time to produce this stuff by hand.

What it comes down to is your level of expectation and what your willing to pay to achieve your desired goals. Case in point, I was looking at a Ferrari 250GTO KIT the other day, the body looked great, all the proper bits in the proper places. Got it on the lift and I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) looked at my friend and said if you buy this car I will beat the living (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) out of you. Everything that was "custom-made" on the underside of the car was pure crap. Fitment was crap, welds were even crappier, and lest not even begin to think about all the other crap I would end up fixing this car. Car was already on the high side of his budget for a fun vehicle. I estimated it would take 80 plus hours, to repair the crapmenship in the car. And that was the crapmenship I could see. Only the original builder knew the quality of work that was done. For me, my level was much higher than the original builder. My friend passed on that dressed up pig. I am sure he will drag some other POS into the shop for review at another date.

Every time someone does a high end build the bar gets raised. What you don't see is the many ways to get to the finish line. I could do it in 30 minutes per side, the repair could last for years or maybe 10 minutes. I could spend 1000s of hours to get everything just perfect, side to side front to back etc.... Only YOU can figure the level you want out.

I built one in the 90s for a friend and he insisted on fiberglass flares, to get them to look correct, I spent way more hours than I documented. Hours upon hours down the drain. Only to have him drop it into a ditch out here, and rip the left rear off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) He should have spent the $$$ for steel. And at that time I would have MIG'd them on and we would have been done in like 6 hours per side. The car was being built for him, to his level of expectation, not mine. And he was paying for that level of work. MIG, grind, filler material put in, sand down, then paint.

I would also say Chris and Mark can do them in 12 hours because they have done more than 1 set in their life. Double or triple their time for your first one, and then the time will drop off on the other 3.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 1 2018, 08:58 AM
Post #18

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 1 2018, 09:54 AM) *

What a superb job!!!!!

When we made these flares, we actually took a factory original green set that Jim Bailey at Brumos had for years and scanned them at the same place that scanned the Ford GT 40 to make the fabulous Ford GT. We found that the flares were off left to right (meaning not mirror images) Back then when they were made things were not as precise as we can get them now. So we combined the left and right scans and then spit out identical mirror images. NOW we have look alike factory GT flares that are identical left to right.

George, you guys don't make them any more? Who is making them now?

I have a set from one of the early group buys, one of these days I will install them.

Zach
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 1 2018, 09:38 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 1 2018, 06:54 AM) *

What a superb job!!!!!

Where are these 'new' flares being sold? I might need a set for GT tribute #2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
sb914
post Mar 1 2018, 09:39 AM
Post #20

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

Well with the flares and installation, rockers, valences,match paint,five lug conversion, rims ,tires
Looks well north of 12 grand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/new_shocked.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:58 AM