Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1974 2.0 in a 73’ 1.7?
MiniStevieG
post Feb 20 2019, 08:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,827
Region Association: Southwest Region

Found a rebuilt 2.0. Engine code is a GA so if my research proves accurate this is actually a 74’ engine. Confirmed 3 bolt pattern on the intake heads. Stoked!! I’m curious if this will drop right into my 73’ that’s currently a 1.7 and what I might be in for with this? Headers and heat exchangers? Just a note: per the owner that rebuilt the engine it hasn’t been run since the rebuild so needless to say I need to learn more about what all needs to happen prior to dropping this in and firing it up. Considering taking it to Mayo Performance in Dallas to handle the swap but I’m also a fast learner and eager to do it myself.
Thanks!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Feb 20 2019, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 20 2019, 06:18 PM) *

Found a very nice rebuilt 2.0 with twin Webers from a 76’. I’m curious if that’ll drop right into my 73’ that’s currently a 1.7 and what I might be in for with this?
Thanks!!

My old 1.7 went by,by.....now she has a 2.0 1973 what a big difference.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 20 2019, 09:25 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If it comes with the engine tins, I think it should plug right in. Only thing I can think of is that you'll need to reroute your accelerator cable for the carbs. I'd also make sure it was rebuilt with a carb cam to work well with the Webers.

You will love that engine. BTW, does your car have sway bars? I think at least a front bar is a must-have to get the joy out of that engine.
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 20 2019, 09:52 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 20 2019, 09:25 PM) *

If it comes with the engine tins, I think it should plug right in. Only thing I can think of is that you'll need to reroute your accelerator cable for the carbs. I'd also make sure it was rebuilt with a carb cam to work well with the Webers.

You will love that engine. BTW, does your car have sway bars? I think at least a front bar is a must-have to get the joy out of that engine.

Mine does not have sway bars.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 21 2019, 12:27 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm surprised you haven't gotten more replies to this thread. Looks like you removed the pic that was here last night, but it looked like you would just need to transfer the cooling fan, housing and front tin from your existing engine to that one and you'd be good to go as long as the rebuilder knew what they were doing.

On the sway bars, I drove two different 1.7 cars for several years before buying the 2.0 I have now. The 2 felt like a completely different animal but I'd say the sway bars contributed as much to the difference as the engine. Great combo. I've always run the factory bars front and rear and loved the handling. I've read that the rear bar doesn't contribute as much to the handling and some people prefer to run without the rear bar. I have no experience with that though. I can only say that a 2.0 with factory bars will make you smile.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Feb 21 2019, 12:49 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 447

If the engine is complete with tins it will drop right in. no modifications needed. you can even use your 1.7 exhaust system if you like.
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 21 2019, 01:20 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 21 2019, 12:27 PM) *

I'm surprised you haven't gotten more replies to this thread. Looks like you removed the pic that was here last night, but it looked like you would just need to transfer the cooling fan, housing and front tin from your existing engine to that one and you'd be good to go as long as the rebuilder knew what they were doing.

On the sway bars, I drove two different 1.7 cars for several years before buying the 2.0 I have now. The 2 felt like a completely different animal but I'd say the sway bars contributed as much to the difference as the engine. Great combo. I've always run the factory bars front and rear and loved the handling. I've read that the rear bar doesn't contribute as much to the handling and some people prefer to run without the rear bar. I have no experience with that though. I can only say that a 2.0 with factory bars will make you smile.

Good advice and I'll definitely be looking into sway bars. Not sure what the deal was with the pics I had posted last night. I removed them to reduce file size and thought I added them back but it was late haha. Here's a few pics of the 2.0. I'm told it was rebuilt to 2056cc.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 21 2019, 01:51 PM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Hey while it’s to this point check the oil cooler seals and oil cooler. Much easier now than later. Other than that you should be able to figure it out. Not that hard, but will require patience.

On another note, looks like 44s ? They will work, but a re a little big for stock 2.0. May have some jetting to do. Is the cam stock?. I would suspect that it may have been changed out if built specifically for carbs.

If not run it and look for a deal on a stock injection system. They pop up from time to time. They really run well and if the cam hasn’t been swapped it’s pretty straight forward.
Best wishes and please post lots of pics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 21 2019, 03:01 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 21 2019, 01:51 PM) *

Hey while it’s to this point check the oil cooler seals and oil cooler. Much easier now than later. Other than that you should be able to figure it out. Not that hard, but will require patience.

On another note, looks like 44s ? They will work, but a re a little big for stock 2.0. May have some jetting to do. Is the cam stock?. I would suspect that it may have been changed out if built specifically for carbs.

If not run it and look for a deal on a stock injection system. They pop up from time to time. They really run well and if the cam hasn’t been swapped it’s pretty straight forward.
Best wishes and please post lots of pics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the tip. All seals were replaced on the engine. It has a CB Performane Road Cam.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Feb 21 2019, 07:21 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,222

Hey Stevie.. welcome, always nice to get another 914 in the metroplex! Hope we can meet up at some point soon. Let my knee heal and I'm all in for assisting in any way I can with your project. Our cars are gonna have a bit in common... Greens w/2056 & stock fuchs. Btw, just curious about where you sourced the engine? I keep my eye open around here and have seen no such rebuilt engine. Good luck with your project!!
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 21 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 21 2019, 07:21 PM) *

Hey Stevie.. welcome, always nice to get another 914 in the metroplex! Hope we can meet up at some point soon. Let my knee heal and I'm all in for assisting in any way I can with your project. Our cars are gonna have a bit in common... Greens w/2056 & stock fuchs. Btw, just curious about where you sourced the engine? I keep my eye open around here and have seen no such rebuilt engine. Good luck with your project!!

Hey man nice to meet you. Would love to hang out some time for some car talk. One thing’s for sure I could definitely use all the help I can get. I’m in way over my head! New to the 914 world and always wanted one since I was a kid.

Anyway, yes about the engine. I jump on deals quick and saw an ad for a 914 here that appeared to be a good donor car. As luck would have it the owner had recently pulled the engine and rebuilt it. He lost interest due to other projects and I snatched it up. Hopefully it turns out to be a winner and sounds nice too when it gets hooked up to a new Triad Exhaust.

Let me know when that knee heals up and we can grab coffee sometime or maybe you’d be willing to come turn some wrenches. Now that I’ve secured this new power plant I’m strongly considering stripping my z-green 914 down and starting a fresh build and addressing some of the rust issues underneath as well. Maybe you can help me track down a good welder/fabricator in the area?
Cheers!!
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 23 2019, 09:38 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 21 2019, 07:21 PM) *

Back home after 8 long hours in the car picking up a freshly rebuilt 2056cc 2.0 and donor car. The donor car was originally a 75’ color code L80E light ivory. It was going to be my parts car of course but there’s something special about this one. I’m gonna need a bigger shop.
Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 23 2019, 10:30 PM
Post #13

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 23 2019, 07:38 PM) *

I’m gonna need a bigger shop.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Famous last words. No matter how big the shop, it needs to be bigger.

BTW, nice find.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Feb 24 2019, 12:52 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,222

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 23 2019, 09:38 PM) *

Back home after 8 long hours in the car picking up a freshly rebuilt 2056cc 2.0 and donor car. The donor car was originally a 75’ color code L80E light ivory. It was going to be my parts car of course but there’s something special about this one. I’m gonna need a bigger shop.

Wow, you've got the bug like the rest of us!! I had two of em until a few months back too. Id bought a real project, had it shipped to Dallas... then a better one popped up locally, and for less money. But nice score there.. so what's the plan now ?
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Feb 24 2019, 07:59 AM
Post #15

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Just for your information. Any year or size 914 engine will fit in any year car. The difference is the intake, exhaust, and induction system. Your research is a bit off. GA engines came in 73 and 74 model years.
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 24 2019, 09:09 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Feb 24 2019, 07:59 AM) *

Just for your information. Any year or size 914 engine will fit in any year car. The difference is the intake, exhaust, and induction system. Your research is a bit off. GA engines came in 73 and 74 model years.

Thank you. I am aware that GA engines came from both 73’ and 74’. I was referring to this particular engine code GA012038 according to P914.com
Attached Image
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Mar 5 2019, 01:07 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 24 2019, 12:52 AM) *

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 23 2019, 09:38 PM) *

Wow, you've got the bug like the rest of us!! I had two of em until a few months back too. Id bought a real project, had it shipped to Dallas... then a better one popped up locally, and for less money. But nice score there.. so what's the plan now ?

Got the 73’ up on crib stands and gave it a good look.

Attached Image

The rust around the floor pan is pretty bad and I’m considering picking up some new replacements and welding them in. Discovered a problem though. As you can see there are crossbars that we’re welded in ugh!! Don’t suppose that’s common? While I don’t mind the extra support it appears it’s going to get in the way of the floor pan replacement. Thoughts on this debacle?

Front to back:

Attached Image

Front welded cross brace:

Attached Image

Rear welded cross brace:

Attached Image

Now I’ve got some decisions to make.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Mar 5 2019, 02:10 PM
Post #18

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Get rid of all of the crossbars and weld a new pan in, bracing the car ahead of time. Or get another car that's a better starting point as it might be cheaper in the long run. Given the shape that the floor pan is in, I imagine there will be other rust areas to deal with like the suspension console and ears.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 5 2019, 02:15 PM
Post #19

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Remove the rocker covers and inspect.
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Mar 5 2019, 02:55 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 5 2019, 02:15 PM) *

Remove the rocker covers and inspect.

Removed the left rocker panel to reveal all this wonderfulness!!
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 11:09 PM