Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Car pulls to the right, Any suggestions as cause?
gturner008
post Apr 22 2020, 12:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,163
Region Association: Canada

One issue on my car just purchased, a 1976, is that the car constantly pulls to the right. I've checked the obvious, like tire pressures etc. When I went through the paper work file - I noticed two occasions when the previous owner mentioned this to the service department.

So perhaps its been an issue for some time.

Any ideas on cause? I'm assuming simple tracking won't fix it. Would a full four wheel geometry fix the issue?

I've checked that no wheel brakes are binding. I'm a bit stumped. Any advice appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 22 2020, 12:37 PM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Bad alignment, damaged front suspension component. You already checked the dragging brake issue- that would have been my first guess.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ahycaramba
post Apr 22 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #3

“I live my life a quarter mile at a time.”

Member No.: 18,534
Region Association: Southern California

It could be a variety of things. Since the car is new to you. I highly recommend to have your car aligned by someone familiar with 914's. just to get a base starting point for whats going on with your suspension. With an alignment you can see if its a simple toe adjustment all the way to bent parts.

If the alignment is good and brakes are not dragging it and you still have a pull, It could be caused by a bad tire pulling to one side. To check on tire pull a simple tire rotation from side to side (even rotating rear tires) should either correct the problem or cause a pull to the other side.

Hope this helps
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Apr 22 2020, 02:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 22 2020, 11:04 AM) *

One issue on my car just purchased, a 1976, is that the car constantly pulls to the right. I've checked the obvious, like tire pressures etc. When I went through the paper work file - I noticed two occasions when the previous owner mentioned this to the service department.

Any ideas on cause? I'm assuming simple tracking won't fix it. Would a full four wheel geometry fix the issue?

I've checked that no wheel brakes are binding. I'm a bit stumped. Any advice appreciated.

Be sure to include corner balancing in the wheel alignment scope of work.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 22 2020, 02:35 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 23 2020, 06:04 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with all the comments about alignment ,for example the PO may have changed a front tie-rod end and not measured the old thread length before fitting a replacement,mine was out when I got my car,I just did a basic string line alignment.
I found one side was equal to the steering wheel in centred position the other required 2 tie-rod end adjustments,pleased with the result and no more fighting the steering wheel.
Good luck.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 12:34 PM