Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fan belt access, How do I get at it?
Ampex351
post May 3 2020, 11:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,115
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Got my7 '73 2.0 delivered. Great little car. However; when I start it there is a thrashing noise or clanking of something??? Otherwise runs great. The noise is coming from the area near the fan and belt. Is there anything to check on that might be wrong? How do I access it? Jack the car up on one side or under the engine?

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post May 4 2020, 12:56 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

take a picture with your phone in that area. Maybe some dirt or tools drop in there or try to use your hand to feel if there is anything there. offcourse engine not running. I’m sure someone will say anything about engine not running. hehehe

Attached Image
+Quote Post
andreic
post May 4 2020, 05:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,479
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You do not need to lift the car up at all to get to the belt or replace it. I had to do this job a couple of weeks ago and it is easy with only some basic tools.

With the engine turned off, you can feel the belt by putting your hand all the way in the front of the engine — you can feel both the fan and the alternator pulleys as shown in the pic above.

If you want to replace the belt, there are two small oval inspections covers made of plastic, on the left front part of the engine tins. One of them is facing forward (as the car goes), one is on the left side, above the cylinder (number 2?) The pic above shows both inspection covers removed, on the right lower side of the pic. Remove these. Through the front inspection panel you can put in a large allen wrench (sorry, can’t remember the size), and loosen the bolt that holds the alternator. Don’t remove it, just loosen it. Through the other inspection hole you can now move the alternator towards the passenger side, allowing you to remove the belt. Put the new belt and tighten it by reversing the above procedure. A large flat head screwdriver is useful to use as a lever.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 4 2020, 06:23 PM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Does the 914 tool kit have that Allen wrench ? Size ?
I had that clanking sound once too; turned out a stubby screwdriver was dropped into the pan under the pulls.....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 12:32 AM