Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I need GPS coordinates for the fuchtards that took us out!, I may have an addiction
Krieger
post Jan 2 2021, 12:20 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

WTF is wrong with people? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jan 2 2021, 01:34 AM
Post #2

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)
+Quote Post
mate914
post Jan 2 2021, 08:31 AM
Post #3

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

What happened? Were we hacked?
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Jan 2 2021, 08:37 AM
Post #4

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865
Region Association: Southern California

THANK YOU ANDY FOR BRINGING BACK THE WORLD!!!! I second it, find them, let's take em out!!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 2 2021, 08:38 AM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think our wives did it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jan 2 2021, 08:51 AM
Post #6

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2021, 09:38 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Nacho
post Jan 2 2021, 09:00 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,716

Maybe Y2K finally got us! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) good to see we are back up and running (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 2 2021, 10:25 AM
Post #8

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Yeah, thanks and Happy New Year Andy. My whole day yesterday was off balance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 2 2021, 10:34 AM
Post #9

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2021, 06:38 AM) *

Good one, Eps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Betty
post Jan 2 2021, 11:31 AM
Post #10

Driver

Member No.: 3,255
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2021, 08:38 AM) *

Wasn't me. I was getting the shakes too just like all of ya'll were.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Jan 2 2021, 12:23 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

See Sir Andy's note about it being a DDoS attack. Nearly impossible to track down the source since it comes from thousands (or millions) of computers. The Russians, China, or N Korea probably aren't interested in 914's. More likely some 'script-kiddie' looking for bragging rights among his basement-dwelling buddies...
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 2 2021, 12:39 PM
Post #12

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

How much would you be willing to pony up if ALL of the data/info was held for ransom? 10s of thousands of eager members. A little out of each and every pocket adds up. You guys want to get into a bear poking contest? Leave it to the pros.
+Quote Post
MM1
post Jan 2 2021, 12:48 PM
Post #13

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105

Evil bastards - whether they’re kiddies or commies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Perhaps we should just make 914World an Apple platform-only app - I believe all the automotive companies (at least design) use apple exclusively for security reasons.

Kaspersky said a while back (for whatever that’s worth) that the Android platform was the greatest risk to online banking.

Apple NEVER gets cracked . . . uh, well, unless your a “brilliant” celebrity with a stupidly simple password.

That doesn’t apply to any of us, does it?

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 2 2021, 01:45 PM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 2 2021, 01:39 PM) *

How much would you be willing to pony up if ALL of the data/info was held for ransom? 10s of thousands of eager members. A little out of each and every pocket adds up. You guys want to get into a bear poking contest? Leave it to the pros.

As long as the hot chicks thread is backed up, we are good.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Jan 2 2021, 02:09 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(MM1 @ Jan 2 2021, 12:48 PM) *

Evil bastards - whether they’re kiddies or commies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Perhaps we should just make 914World an Apple platform-only app - I believe all the automotive companies (at least design) use apple exclusively for security reasons.

Kaspersky said a while back (for whatever that’s worth) that the Android platform was the greatest risk to online banking.

Apple NEVER gets cracked . . . uh, well, unless your a “brilliant” celebrity with a stupidly simple password.

A DDoS attack has little/nothing to do with hacking. I'm pretty sure the site wasn't compromised. 914World is a publicly available website link. That means anyone can get to it. However, if a million PC's all try to open the home page at the same time, the server won't be able to handle all of them and no one can get to it. Hence, 'denial of service'.

As for going with 'Apple only', I refuse to have an iPhone or iPad. You cannot do anything with an Apple product without an Apple ID which requires more personal information than I'm willing to give.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jan 2 2021, 02:55 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jan 2 2021, 01:09 PM) *

A DDoS attack has little/nothing to do with hacking. I'm pretty sure the site wasn't compromised. 914World is a publicly available website link. That means anyone can get to it. However, if a million PC's all try to open the home page at the same time, the server won't be able to handle all of them and no one can get to it. Hence, 'denial of service'.

As for going with 'Apple only', I refuse to have an iPhone or iPad. You cannot do anything with an Apple product without an Apple ID which requires more personal information than I'm willing to give.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'ts hard to know what youv'e lost when you live your life like a commodity.

I'd add...it's not about your information it's about changing your mind.
+Quote Post
Carbon-14
post Jan 2 2021, 03:05 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 24,238
Region Association: Canada

Moose and Squirrel ?
Spy vs Spy ?
Madmen at the Controls ?
No, merely a teener that wanted to download all the threads, deep inside the complex, under the mountain where the blue machines are humming, collecting data of the humans, thinking...
' I will build the ultimate 914, I am, after all the ultimate machine. '
' Now, 4 or 6 ? '
' Nine ! '
' Muah ah ah ah '
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 2 2021, 03:21 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jan 2 2021, 01:23 PM) *

See Sir Andy's note about it being a DDoS attack. Nearly impossible to track down the source since it comes from thousands (or millions) of computers. The Russians, China, or N Korea probably aren't interested in 914's. More likely some 'script-kiddie' looking for bragging rights among his basement-dwelling buddies...

Probably true, sad part is they are our neighbors
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 2 2021, 04:00 PM
Post #19

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Alot of big name sites were also down at the same time, like twitter. I doubt its World they are targeting but someone else at the farm.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 2 2021, 05:51 PM
Post #20

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

"I believe all the automotive companies (at least design) use apple exclusively for security reasons." LOL!!! You have no idea what you are talking about.

If you believe that apple never gets hacked/cracked you are living in a complete dream world. Believe me, I see it all the time. I do this for a living. So after 28 years of It experience, this is not speculation on my part. I am a certified ethical hacker, and an IT security expert.

When I was the Chief Technology Officer for Jacuzzi Brands, I had to disabuse a salesman of the fallacy that Apple never gets viruses/hacked/cracked before. I explained it like this:

Me: "You sell hot tubs, right?"
Salesman: "Yes"

Me: "Ok, we have two groups of people, one over here on your left consists of 50 people. The other group on the right consists of 500 people. You can only pick one group to pitch your sales. Which one are you going to try to sell hot tubs to?"

Salesman: "I am going for the bigger group. I will get more sales that way."

Me: "A hacker writes code, right?"
Salesman: "Yes"

Me: "Ok, we have two groups of people, one over here on your left consists of 50 people who run apple products. The other group on the right consists of 500 people who run Windows. The hacker can only pick one group to create an attack virus for. Which one is he going to try to attack?"

Salesman: "He is going to try to attack the bigger group. He will get more hits that way.... I get it now, because Microsoft has the biggest market share, the hackers that create the viruses try to attack them."

Any computer, any network appliance, any application will have vulnerabilities, no matter what the vendor. The proper, professional approach is to try to make your system more secure, so they move on to easier targets. But you have to balance out security and usability.

As for this attack, it has nothing to do with the system being run. It has to do with an outside entity generating so much traffic that the targeted system(s) cannot handle the load, so the system crashes. The only way to beat an attack like this is to be able to filter out the attacks before they get to the web server.

And there is no way to make 914World an "Apple-platofrm only app." Apple computer does not have any server products at all. Plus, the current versions of Apple computer OS is actually a version of Linux with Apple exclusive graphics overlaid on it. So it has all the vulnerabilities of Linux now.

I am not attacking Apple, Apple computers are great for graphics and a lot of artistic types love them. They are good machines, and they have great support. But as a professional server admin/systems architect, I see both the good and bad of all systems. Andy does a great job of keeping 914Word online and running. Unfortunately, there are still bad people out there who just want to watch the world burn.

I am going to climb down off my soap box now. But please fact check me, and if I am wrong on something, let me know. That way I can educate myself and not make wrongheaded, ignorant statements again.

Clay

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 12:49 PM