Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suggestions?
Pursang
post Apr 1 2021, 06:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,386
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I am looking for a way to secure that rubber soundproofing pad that fits against the passenger wall in the engine compartment. Those metal tabs at the top seem pretty useless. It looks like some adhesive might have been applied with a tube at some time but the years and the engine heat have broken that seal.

I was thinking about small bolts and grommets through those metal tabs but I am afraid that they would eventually just rip through the pad. Would you apply adhesive again and, if so, what brand? Any other ideas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 1 2021, 06:59 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Pursang @ Apr 1 2021, 05:21 PM) *

I am looking for a way to secure that rubber soundproofing pad that fits against the passenger wall in the engine compartment. Those metal tabs at the top seem pretty useless. It looks like some adhesive might have been applied with a tube at some time but the years and the engine heat have broken that seal.

I was thinking about small bolts and grommets through those metal tabs but I am afraid that they would eventually just rip through the pad. Would you apply adhesive again and, if so, what brand? Any other ideas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks.

It is supposed to be attached with large plastic buttons that insert into the firewall about 1/3 of the way down on the pad. Napa has them. Part number is 665-3116. The tabs just keep the top of the pad snug to the firewall but don't hold it up.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Apr 1 2021, 07:20 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You might hear lots of push back on mounting the original pad or (or any pad) since it tends to trap water and accelerate rust. Whatever you do, make sure water can drain out the bottom.
+Quote Post
rbzymek
post Apr 1 2021, 08:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 23,013
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I found that the 3M spray adhesive works well in that application. Just spray the metal and the back of the pad. Once it gets tacky set in place.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 2 2021, 10:04 AM
Post #5

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 1 2021, 08:20 PM) *

You might hear lots of push back on mounting the original pad or (or any pad) since it tends to trap water and accelerate rust. Whatever you do, make sure water can drain out the bottom.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I also worry that it will fall down and block the engine fan, leading to catastrophic overheating of the engine.

So I just insulate on the inside.

Clay
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 2 2021, 10:20 AM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 2 2021, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 1 2021, 08:20 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I also worry that it will fall down and block the engine fan, leading to catastrophic overheating of the engine.

So I just insulate on the inside.

Clay

Ben had an issue on a six conversion when the engine side pad blocked off airflow and made the engine run hot.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 02:50 AM