Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> dr914 and the perfect 914, acidic oil
wonkipop
post Jul 30 2021, 11:52 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

an interesting vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e-2CAcgPnQ

wondering if STP was one of the villains?
not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) at americans, but you guys used to love that stuff.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jul 31 2021, 04:55 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

According to STP:
"Some after-market oil additives contain corrosive chemicals, including chlorine-based lubricating compounds that may be harmful to internal engine parts. STP® products do not contain any corrosive components and are safe for use in all engines."

I've never used it.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jul 31 2021, 05:24 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Marvel Mystery Oil, has phosphorus in it. That could do it being an acid
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jul 31 2021, 05:37 AM
Post #4

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

250 hours restoring a 914 that sat for 30 years and you do not take the engine apart?
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 31 2021, 06:06 AM
Post #5

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Water gets into the oul from condensation on cylinder walls during cold running. That can be the statr of acid formation. An oil analysis woyld have shown that.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jul 31 2021, 07:44 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

First used STP in my '51 Ford Crestliner flathead V8 in 1964 to reduce oil usage - and it worked. Used it many times in old cars & trucks, and once in a '73 Triumph Trident motorcycle.

It does help reduce oil consumption in old vehicles with bad rings......

GN

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 31 2021, 04:55 AM) *

According to STP:
"Some after-market oil additives contain corrosive chemicals, including chlorine-based lubricating compounds that may be harmful to internal engine parts. STP® products do not contain any corrosive components and are safe for use in all engines."

I've never used it.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 31 2021, 09:11 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Lots of things could be root cause. Hopefully the doc posts followup engine teardown video. No way to find root cause without a teardown.

Cars don’t usually get parked for 35 years without some underlying problem that led to it being parked in the first place. Not saying it doesn’t happen occasionally, but it’s not the norm.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 31 2021, 09:28 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 31 2021, 11:11 AM) *

Lots of things could be root cause. Hopefully the doc posts followup engine teardown video. No way to find root cause without a teardown.

Cars don’t usually get parked for 35 years without some underlying problem that led to it being parked in the first place. Not saying it doesn’t happen occasionally, but it’s not the norm.

They all “ran when parked”. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jul 31 2021, 02:58 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2021, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 31 2021, 11:11 AM) *

They all “ran when parked”. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctin21yrfcA
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Jul 31 2021, 05:56 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jul 31 2021, 05:44 AM) *

First used STP in my '51 Ford Crestliner flathead V8 in 1964 to reduce oil usage - and it worked. Used it many times in old cars & trucks, and once in a '73 Triumph Trident motorcycle.

It does help reduce oil consumption in old vehicles with bad rings......

GN

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 31 2021, 04:55 AM) *

According to STP:

I've never used it.

I add a can of STP with every oil change in both my teener and Cayman. After running my bugeye Sprite for 278K miles I became a believer that maybe STP was a worthwhile addition to the oil mixture. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 1 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #11

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Better to wear out a car than let things decay. Nice video from the Doc!
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 2 2021, 08:24 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Thank you for the feedback. A TRUE 50 thousand mile car, one owner, perfect compression and leakdown, old oil looked ok when we drained it, nothing in the strainer, engine had never been apart before, still has its colored vacuum lines. Dream come true for anyone (one would think). Took about 150 miles for the knock to start, so now the teardown to see exactly what happened. Sounds just like a rod knock to me, and the only thing that could have caused it in my opinion was the oil turning to acid
+Quote Post
Jett
post Aug 2 2021, 08:30 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 2 2021, 07:24 AM) *

Thank you for the feedback. A TRUE 50 thousand mile car, one owner, perfect compression and leakdown, old oil looked ok when we drained it, nothing in the strainer, engine had never been apart before, still has its colored vacuum lines. Dream come true for anyone (one would think). Took about 150 miles for the knock to start, so now the teardown to see exactly what happened. Sounds just like a rod knock to me, and the only thing that could have caused it in my opinion was the oil turning to acid

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) thanks for the video. This is the #1 reason we rebuild our motors as part of every restoration. The #2 reason is that we don’t want to revisit a restoration after completion, we just want to enjoy them and forget about the years of challenge restoring them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 2 2021, 05:34 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Jett @ Aug 2 2021, 10:30 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) thanks for the video. This is the #1 reason we rebuild our motors as part of every restoration. The #2 reason is that we don’t want to revisit a restoration after completion, we just want to enjoy them and forget about the years of challenge restoring them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Aug 3 2021, 03:52 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 2 2021, 08:24 AM) *

thanks for the vid. it was very interesting.
i resurected mine after 16 years asleep. you had me out there listening for rod knocks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

wonder what clutch you are going to find in there when you drop the motor. rubber core? but it probably would have exploded already!
35 years is a long time - pushing it in the storage stakes.
if the old guy had gone out and started it every now and then during the first few years of garaging it, which he might have, it would never have gotten properly warm and driven condensation out, which might also have made the oil problem worse? he might have created a moisture cycle situation?

what i heard about STP is that it was not very friendly to air cooled engines - which run hotter. i got the story years ago. STP can go acidic after exposure to high heat. people used to pour it into their worn out fords, holdens etc back in the 70s like there was no tomorrow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 04:07 AM