Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> clear brake lines, brakes
Medtner3
post Feb 19 2022, 06:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,467
Region Association: None

I need to replace the clear brake lines in the front of my 914... could someone possibly tell me the size of the cloth lines under the master cylinder reservoir and the size and length of the clear tubing from under the reservoir?

Can I assume any of the correct size clear plastic tubing would work and could maybe get at the hardware store?

Just asking because if that is the case I could fix that this weekend and put my rebuild back on track rather than waiting on parts to ship to me
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Feb 19 2022, 06:15 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

check 914rubber.com
+Quote Post
Medtner3
post Feb 19 2022, 06:36 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 19 2022, 06:15 PM) *

check 914rubber.com

914rubber does not have the size of hoses listed on their website

I am looking for the size so I might be able to get the clear lines somewhere else.

If I buy from 914Rubber then I will have to wait for the hose to be shipped to me.

I want to fix this sooner than waiting yet another week
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Feb 19 2022, 09:34 PM
Post #4

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Medtner3 @ Feb 19 2022, 06:00 PM) *

I need to replace the clear brake lines in the front of my 914... could someone possibly tell me the size of the cloth lines under the master cylinder reservoir and the size and length of the clear tubing from under the reservoir?

Can I assume any of the correct size clear plastic tubing would work and could maybe get at the hardware store?

Just asking because if that is the case I could fix that this weekend and put my rebuild back on track rather than waiting on parts to ship to me

@Medtner3
I think they are 8mm ID. If you use a locally available source make sure it is intended for petroleum use. Most clear hose you find in hardware stores is meant for use with water.
+Quote Post
Medtner3
post Feb 19 2022, 09:34 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 19 2022, 09:34 PM) *

@Medtner3
I think they are 8mm ID. If you use a locally available source make sure it is intended for petroleum use. Most clear hose you find in hardware stores is meant for use with water.

okay thanks
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 19 2022, 10:18 PM
Post #6

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

The plastic lines from 913 rubber that they supplied me for their MC are a different OD. I don't know if they'd work with any other MC than their own.
+Quote Post
PatMc
post Feb 20 2022, 06:28 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 25,669

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 19 2022, 10:34 PM) *

@Medtner3

Why? Brake fluid is not petroleum based, and most rubbers (with the exception of silicone) that are approved for petroleum oils don’t play nice with brake fluid.

OP…when the blue brake fluid hose was tough to get for a bit back in the late ‘90s (at least for me)…we used to use the 5/16” clear braided “dishwasher hose” you can get at Home Depot….worked well and brake fluid didn’t react with it.
+Quote Post
JoeD
post Feb 20 2022, 08:22 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,973
Region Association: South East States

I know you said you don't want to wait for them, and these are expensive, but just FYI I bought an OEM set recently from Porsche.

#s 11 and 12

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterparts.co..._category=20124
+Quote Post
Medtner3
post Feb 20 2022, 08:54 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(JoeD @ Feb 20 2022, 08:22 AM) *

I know you said you don't want to wait for them, and these are expensive, but just FYI I bought an OEM set recently from Porsche.

#s 11 and 12

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterparts.co..._category=20124

Thank you. Man, those are expensive. Were the lines more supple than your originals or are they hard and inflexible?

I am wondering where my leak came from now the line might have slipped out of the small cloth hose under the reservoir because it is old and lost its flex

I might try replacing those two small hoses first and make sure the old clear lines are not cracked a the top.
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Feb 20 2022, 10:05 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

I know you said you don't want to wait, but PMB has them in stock according to their website. Much cheaper than the Porsche OEM ones. May be an option for you. Good luck.

https://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...63/10069609.htm

Note: Read the fine print. If you're a concours type of guy, the blue piece is black in their kit.
+Quote Post
Medtner3
post Feb 20 2022, 02:30 PM
Post #11

Problem solved, my clear lines were fine, the problem was the small cloth lines under the reservoir were old and hard and one of the clear lines had pulled loose
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 02:32 AM