Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mystery connection, don't know what plugs into this, have a look
jackspratt
post Feb 27 2022, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,315
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Wondering what this would have plugged into it. Looks like it's a ground of some sort and looks stock? Anyone have a clue? 1973 914 2.0

Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 27 2022, 10:29 PM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Thats the heater fan ground for a 1970-72 914. Is your engine original to the 1973 chassis?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jackspratt
post Feb 27 2022, 10:58 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 27 2022, 08:29 PM) *

Thats the heater fan ground for a 1970-72 914. Is your engine original to the 1973 chassis?

The engine code is GA000744 And have no idea if original or not but looks like it was never out of the car. What do you think and much thanks for solving this. I just got this project that was left around for years. I'm still trying to figure out the vacuum hoses which this 1973 seems to have 1/2 73 and 1/2 74? setup. It has a round air filter. Do you have any idea what this other mystery plug is for? no idea on that one either. Talking about the last picture, the one coming off of the thick onesAttached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Feb 28 2022, 08:35 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

That one looks to be the connection for the head temperature sensor. Coming out of the engine tin on the passenger side should be a wire that leads to the head temp sensor.

Does the car still have the fuel injection?
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Feb 28 2022, 09:04 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

My early '73 has the same tab, it never had anything connected to it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 28 2022, 01:06 PM
Post #6

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Feb 28 2022, 09:04 AM) *

My early '73 has the same tab, it never had anything connected to it.

Probably installed on the engine in 73 until someone figured out it was no longer needed.

+Quote Post
jrmdir
post Feb 28 2022, 01:24 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 25,544
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yep - I have the same lug on my early '73 (9/72 build) (Original engine confirmed by Porsche.)

And I posted the same question soon after I got the car. Got some informative replies:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=354174&hl=

Ron
+Quote Post
jackspratt
post Feb 28 2022, 06:01 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Feb 28 2022, 06:35 AM) *

That one looks to be the connection for the head temperature sensor. Coming out of the engine tin on the passenger side should be a wire that leads to the head temp sensor.

Does the car still have the fuel injection?

Yes, it still has the fuel injection system. Not starting up though. Fuel pump seems to not be working. Can't hear anything when cranking. And I changed the relays to new ones and still nothing. Any suggestions?
+Quote Post
jackspratt
post Feb 28 2022, 06:06 PM
Post #9

Well that solves that one for that rogue plug in. Nothing goes there
Thanks
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Feb 28 2022, 07:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740

Yeah same here on the rogue plug. I have actually run that first ground tab to the battery on mine to improve the engine grounding on the fan shroud. Aluminum is not the best conductor and I saw a notible drop in resistance to ground when I was troubleshooting charging issues.

Give us a full picture of your engine. Show us the heads too, around the injectors/plugs.
+Quote Post
mate914
post Mar 1 2022, 07:13 AM
Post #11

Matt

Member No.: 10,102

aaah ground?

QUOTE(jackspratt @ Feb 27 2022, 11:22 PM) *

Wondering what this would have plugged into it. Looks like it's a ground of some sort and looks stock? Anyone have a clue? 1973 914 2.0

Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Mar 1 2022, 12:05 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(jackspratt @ Feb 27 2022, 09:58 PM) *

The engine code is GA000744 And have no idea if original or not but looks like it was never out of the car. What do you think and much thanks for solving this. I just got this project that was left around for years. I'm still trying to figure out the vacuum hoses which this 1973 seems to have 1/2 73 and 1/2 74? setup. It has a round air filter. Do you have any idea what this other mystery plug is for? no idea on that one either. Talking about the last picture, the one coming off of the thick onesAttached Image

You have a 2.0 engine case and 1.7 heads and injection system.

I think all bets are off as far as originality.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Mar 1 2022, 12:30 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JamesM @ Mar 1 2022, 01:05 PM) *

The engine code is GA000744 And have no idea if original or not but looks like it was never out of the car. What do you think and much thanks for solving this. I just got this project that was left around for years. I'm still trying to figure out the vacuum hoses which this 1973 seems to have 1/2 73 and 1/2 74? setup. It has a round air filter. Do you have any idea what this other mystery plug is for? no idea on that one either. Talking about the last picture, the one coming off of the thick onesAttached Image

We haven't seen the heads yet... It could be quite a frankenstien. Or simply a strange mix of djet components.

From the pics it looks like you need some help routing the crankcase ventilation as well...

Get us those pictures of the heads and engine!
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Mar 1 2022, 01:43 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Mar 1 2022, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Mar 1 2022, 01:05 PM) *

We haven't seen the heads yet... It could be quite a frankenstien. Or simply a strange mix of djet components.

From the pics it looks like you need some help routing the crankcase ventilation as well...

Get us those pictures of the heads and engine!

You can see the spark plug angle in the pic, they are not 2.0 914 heads. Leaves a lot of questions as to what the bottom end is made up of.
+Quote Post
Dustin
post Mar 1 2022, 05:26 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,072
Region Association: None

In the 70s and 80s when the engines started running poorly in these cars they would take it out and just throw a rebuilt engine in. Less than a days work. Then the shop would rebuild the one they took out and throw it in something else. The numbers on the case don't really mean very much other than that was originally in a 2.0. But, who knows what is in the case now. There were a whole lot of these cases produced. They weren't considered anything special for many years. Shops back then were just about getting the car back on the road. Not purity so much.

2.0s and 1.7s have different parts in the case. Connecting rods and crank and cam shaft. 2.0s also have a windage tray. Hopefully you have 2.0 parts in the case.

Your fuel injection is from a 1.7.

Any time you see a connector like this one that is just attached to the fan shroud and engine case and transmission and chassis, it's just a ground.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Mar 2 2022, 03:13 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

]

Ahh yes, up on the driver side, now I see it. Interesting. So 1.7 top end. Can you read the number off the injectors? That could tell us the current displacement.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Mar 2 2022, 03:31 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

As for the lug, I remember reading somewheere in R&T back in the late 70's that the factory placed that plug there for a convenient ground lug for one's timing light. Maybe...
My 71 1.7 had the lug original to the car....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jackspratt
post Mar 3 2022, 02:36 PM
Post #18

Well, here are a few more engine pics. The injector was yellow in color when I removed a boot. Underneath it seems the PO had done some stuff. The heads look clean, new oil filter? push rod tubes not leaking? Who knows?

Question, got the fuel pump running by knocking on it with a hammer. This was after I went out and got new relays and tried them and still no fuel pump. So, I put the old ones back in and read an article to give the fuel pump a few knocks with a hammer, did that and it started running LOL!

But there is no fuel getting to the cylinders I think? I took out a spark plug and no smell of gas. I have spark from coil to distributor to plugs.

Any suggestions? Fuel filter was flowing when I undid a line to see if fuel was coming out.

??? So, cranking over now, pump running but no fuel to cylinders

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jrmdir
post Mar 3 2022, 02:53 PM
Post #19

I don't have a good answer but after having spent months trying to breath life back into a a long-dormant engine, I found it invaluable to get a cheap (Harbor Freight) fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to the test port between injectors 1 and 2. I eventually made it semi-permanent by zip tying it to the rear firewall and referenced it a lot when I was having drivability issues.

If you have pressure (spec is 28-29 psi) then I suppose all of the injectors could be plugged but that would seem unusual.

More likely it has to do with the trigger points in the distributor or the ECU not firing. A lot of threads on this.

Ron
+Quote Post
jrmdir
post Mar 3 2022, 03:06 PM
Post #20

Further thoughts. If not already, you will no doubt find your way to this site:

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

If it turns out that you have pressure I'd start with the electrical ECU test checklist (Step 10) This will verify if pulses are coming into the ECU from the trigger points and also if there is good connectivity from the ECU connector to the injectors. Also make sure to check the injector wire ground lug near the throttle body.

Good luck!

Ron
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 05:05 PM