Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How did you mount dual pole oil pressure sender
cgnj
post Jul 12 2022, 08:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 403
Region Association: None

Almost ready to wake up the 2270 after dropping the motor to change oil pump & oil pressure relief circuit. How and where did you mount the dual pole sender. I am using a braided steel hose.

Thanks in advance
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post Jul 12 2022, 10:20 AM
Post #2

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Depending on the length of your braided line you can get a P clamp that fits around the sender and mount the clamp to the top corner of the fan housing, one of the coil mounting bolts on the tin above #4 cylinder, or just about anywhere you desire. Best to find a mount point on the engine and not the body so you're not causing flex and vibration in the line which can cause premature failure of the line or fitting at the engine case.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 12 2022, 10:24 AM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It needs to ground I believe at the mount
I once had a clamp that was loose and had to provide a ground path
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 12 2022, 10:38 AM
Post #4

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 12 2022, 09:24 AM) *

It needs to ground I believe at the mount
I once had a clamp that was loose and had to provide a ground path

True. Or if you use a braided line it grounds through the line.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 12 2022, 11:21 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

go to the auto parts store and get a brass fitting with pipe threads to extend the oil pressure sending switch hole up and then screw in the sending unit

QUOTE(cgnj @ Jul 12 2022, 07:28 AM) *

Almost ready to wake up the 2270 after dropping the motor to change oil pump & oil pressure relief circuit. How and where did you mount the dual pole sender. I am using a braided steel hose.

Thanks in advance

+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jul 12 2022, 11:29 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

metal hose clamp with 2 mounting holes. Mount close by.

Yes it does need to be grounded
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Jul 12 2022, 11:50 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 24,549

My car came with this. I was getting flaky readings and realized it was not grounded, it was loose in the mount. Came up with a kludge and I'm still looking for an elegant solution.Attached Image
+Quote Post
cgnj
post Jul 12 2022, 03:54 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 403

I think I found the p clamp I used originally.Now just need to find the box that I put the senders in.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 12 2022, 04:26 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 12 2022, 11:21 AM) *

go to the auto parts store and get a brass fitting with pipe threads to extend the oil pressure sending switch hole up and then screw in the sending unit

Thanks in advance

I’ve seen similar set ups fail
And don’t recommend this set up

Brass will work harden and crack over time. Usually at the threads. Especially with the sender weight on top

A flexible hose will dampen the vibration
Brant
+Quote Post
nathanxnathan
post Jul 12 2022, 06:32 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 21,899
Region Association: Southern California

When I ran a dual pole sensor and a larger Mallory Distributor, I had found (I forget where) a braided stainless line and made a bracket (just a length of flat steel with holes drilled at each end) to mount to the nearest case parting bolt. The NPT thread of the sensor would snug down on the bracket just as it sealed on the tapered thread.

I think it was npt at both ends (male at 1 female at he other) which isn't really the best imo, though it was allegedly made for that application. I do think the dual pole senders are all tapered thread? I maintain that the hole in the case wasn't originally.
+Quote Post
Brian Fuerbach
post Jul 12 2022, 07:22 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 23,266

Ground is no problem with braided line. I sleeved the bracket with shrink tube for a cleaner look.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Dec 21 2022, 10:14 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 24,893

QUOTE(Brian Fuerbach @ Jul 12 2022, 08:22 PM) *

Ground is no problem with braided line. I sleeved the bracket with shrink tube for a cleaner look.

Brian - PM sent. I would like to learn more about this setup.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Dec 21 2022, 10:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

This one I was planning in doing mine.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
nathanxnathan
post Dec 22 2022, 12:34 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 21,899

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Dec 21 2022, 08:25 PM) *

I did it that way once. You have to modify the tin. Also the way it looks like that one is done and how I did it, you couldn't remove/replace the sender without removing the tin which is a major job. I used a VW bus ball joint boot for the grommet I recall. I went to a larger Mallory distributor, and I had to relocate it, and regretted having messed up the tin.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 22 2022, 08:08 AM
Post #15

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

You will notice a lot of people that started with dual pole senders have moved back to a T joint, a sender for the pressure gauge and a stock sender for the idiot light.

The issue is that the idiot light turns on at about 4PSI, and the dual pole will light up around 10PSI. Which can mean you have a flickering oil light on a hot engine at idle, which is disconcerting.

Its one of those things where if you don't drive the car much or very long, or you make really good pressure, a dual pole is fine. But if you drive the car long enough for the oil to really come up to temp on a stock oil pump, you may find your oil light on, even though you have okay pressure.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Dec 22 2022, 10:01 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Dec 21 2022, 10:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Dec 21 2022, 08:25 PM) *

I did it that way once. You have to modify the tin. Also the way it looks like that one is done and how I did it, you couldn't remove/replace the sender without removing the tin which is a major job. I used a VW bus ball joint boot for the grommet I recall. I went to a larger Mallory distributor, and I had to relocate it, and regretted having messed up the tin.

oh wow! thank you for that info. Good didn’t cut my tin yet when I painted them.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Dec 22 2022, 10:35 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 22 2022, 07:08 AM) *

You will notice a lot of people that started with dual pole senders have moved back to a T joint, a sender for the pressure gauge and a stock sender for the idiot light.

The issue is that the idiot light turns on at about 4PSI, and the dual pole will light up around 10PSI. Which can mean you have a flickering oil light on a hot engine at idle, which is disconcerting.

Its one of those things where if you don't drive the car much or very long, or you make really good pressure, a dual pole is fine. But if you drive the car long enough for the oil to really come up to temp on a stock oil pump, you may find your oil light on, even though you have okay pressure.

Mine does that. I thought it was a symptom of engine age, probably needs a rebuild, it still might. Good to know the trigger pressures though. Another project to add to my list.
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Dec 22 2022, 01:47 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 22,863
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 22 2022, 08:08 AM) *

This is so true! I'm going to a split setup (idiot light and single pole sender). I currently have a dual pole installed and once hot, the oil pressure light flickers/comes on. It's even worse when the A/C is running which draws the rpms down a bit more.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Dec 22 2022, 02:59 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Dec 22 2022, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 22 2022, 08:08 AM) *

This is so true! I'm going to a split setup (idiot light and single pole sender). I currently have a dual pole installed and once hot, the oil pressure light flickers/comes on. It's even worse when the A/C is running which draws the rpms down a bit more.

I developed a habit of revving at stop lights just so I don't see the light flicker.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 22 2022, 03:08 PM
Post #20

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 12 2022, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 12 2022, 11:21 AM) *

Thanks in advance

I’ve seen similar set ups fail
And don’t recommend this set up

Brass will work harden and crack over time. Usually at the threads. Especially with the sender weight on top

A flexible hose will dampen the vibration
Brant

Brant... I have had hoses fail... even high pressure grease gun hoses. So I use the same setup George does. But I make sure the heavy gauge sender is off the side of the t fitting, and that it is supported with a padded clamp mounted to the engine tin. So it does not vibrate and work harden the brass.

Watching a 50 psi spray of hot oil whip the hose around and coat everything in the engine compartment with hot oil (including me) is scary.

Clay
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 08:49 AM