Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1971 Steering wheel options, WHat will fit
Chupee
post May 7 2023, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,261
Region Association: Central California

Looking for options to change a stock 71 steering wheel to an Alcantra style wheel momo or otherwise. What will for and work needed to do this.

thx
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
vintagethunder
post May 7 2023, 09:33 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 26,225
Region Association: Upper MidWest

When I was looking last year I found the MOMO adapter for the early 914s (#8000?) seemed to be the only solution but it was out of production, rare, and expensive when they come up for sale.

But I did find a solution. I have not installed it yet, and that was a Luisi steering wheel adapter available at:

https://classicgarage.com/lustwh.html

It was a bit confusing but they said I needed the "American" version which I assume it the one with the A after the number on the website. I bought a used MOMO wheel and also a J West eccentric adapter, for some added leg room and better view of the gauges. I sure hope it all works!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 7 2023, 05:19 PM
Post #3

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That linked steering wheel hub looks a lot like the hub I sourced for my car to install my 370mm Prototipo. I sent the wheel to Dallas Customs to have it re-wrapped in their high-quality black leather and stitched in black. I really like the finished product. Total cost of the wheel recovering was about $475 including shipping. (PS- the angle I shot the picture makes the rim look really fat, it is just under 4" - which is the average size of sport steering wheels today. It feels good in my hands and is comfortable to drive with.)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post May 7 2023, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

On my 1970 model 914-4 I am using the Luigi adapter with a Momo wheel. The problem with the Luigi adapter is that the hole for the horn push mechanism is drilled in the wrong location and doesn’t line up with the brass connector plate on the column. I use a horn push button on the dash.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post May 7 2023, 08:22 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ May 7 2023, 07:45 PM) *

On my 1970 model 914-4 I am using the Luigi adapter with a Momo wheel. The problem with the Luigi adapter is that the hole for the horn push mechanism is drilled in the wrong location and doesn’t line up with the brass connector plate on the column. I use a horn push button on the dash.

They Now list 2 versions , of exactly what your talking about..
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post May 7 2023, 11:03 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

All you need is a momo hub and any momo steering wheel. LTB autosports carries the full line. ebay is another great place to find a vintage wheel. I have hub 8002 on my cars. Looks like maybe the 71 is a 0230 hub?

https://ltbautosports.com/momo/
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:23 AM