Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Injection vs CARBS, Advise to my 1.8L
cbenitah
post Sep 8 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Protected by the Swedish Maffia

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,597

So I'm wondering what the best way is here...
My 1.8L is acting a little bit funny when it comes to acceleration, it feels like all the power is gone. I can go from 1000 RPM's to 4000 without more increase in speed than maybe 10MPH in 1st gear.. and i IDLE at 1200 but thats when the engine is warm, otherwise its around 2-300..

Someone said its the fuel injection being bad from the begining, and that i should remove it and put Carbs on it..

Anyone has an opinion about this question?

/the guy that have to drive in the slow lane with rest of the seniors (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 8 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

There are very strong opinions on this subject, and if you do a search, you'll read and re-read all of them...
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Sep 8 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Let me get this straight. Your car, when acellerating fom 1K RPM to 4K RPM, is only gaining you 10MPH?? Sounds like your clutch is not adjusted correctly or it is ready to give out on you.

+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Sep 8 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #4

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

My first impulse is to suggest you Turbo your 1.8...

But then again... I ain't Aaron (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/tongue.gif)

Me thinks the better questions for you to answer is:

Are you mechanicly inclined enough to attempt to repair this your self?

How much money have ya got that you want to throw at this problem?

Do ya wanna racer .... or a gas miser?
(Cause you can use the carbs later for a performance build)

Me thinks this will help US answer you...

Cheers,
Twystd1
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Sep 8 2005, 08:00 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Sep 8 2005, 05:48 PM)
Let me get this straight. Your car, when acellerating fom 1K RPM to 4K RPM, is only gaining you 10MPH?? Sounds like your clutch is not adjusted correctly or it is ready to give out on you.

Well, when the car is cool its ok, then it has a normal acceleration, but when it gets up to speed its like its jumping forward.. sometimes it gets more (normal) power but on the freeway im lost all the way to the right in 60-65..
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Sep 8 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Sep 8 2005, 05:51 PM)
My first impulse is to suggest you Turbo your 1.8...

But then again... I ain't Aaron (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/tongue.gif)

Me thinks the better questions for you to answer is:

Are you mechanicly inclined enough to attempt to repair this your self?

How much money have ya got that you want to throw at this problem?

Do ya wanna racer .... or a gas miser?
(Cause you can use the carbs later for a performance build)

Me thinks this will help US answer you...

Cheers,
Twystd1

Well, the $ is just this.. I could do the rebuilt for whatever $$$K that would cost. But i dont see the future in THIS engine and I would rather save a couple of months more or so the get a 6 convertion done!

So all I want now is to have this 1.8L as my daily driver and be as smooth as possible.. carbs would be what $1500 to get it installed.. and a 6 convertion would be?? above 10K
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 8 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #7

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (cbenitah @ Sep 8 2005, 06:03 PM)

Well, the $ is just this.. I could do the rebuilt for whatever $$$K that would cost. But i dont see the future in THIS engine and I would rather save a couple of months more or so the get a 6 convertion done!

So all I want now is to have this 1.8L as my daily driver and be as smooth as possible.. carbs would be what $1500 to get it installed.. and a 6 convertion would be?? above 10K

And fixing the L-Jet would likely be under $100...

If you can't or won't do this yourself, find a mechanic who's worked on any European cars from the 80s, and you'll probably find someone who can fix L-Jet.

If you'd like to fix this yourself, get a book on Bosch fuel injection (there are several, but Charles Probst's book is best) and flip to the L-Jet troubleshooting section. You'll very likely have the problem fixed in a weekend.
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Sep 8 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 8 2005, 06:09 PM)

If you can't or won't do this yourself, find a mechanic who's worked on any European cars from the 80s, and you'll probably find someone who can fix L-Jet.

If you'd like to fix this yourself, get a book on Bosch fuel injection (there are several, but Charles Probst's book is best) and flip to the L-Jet troubleshooting section. You'll very likely have the problem fixed in a weekend.

Is it worth fixing the L-Jet though? My mechanic said its a bad one from the begining etc.. and that either a convertion or put carbs on it would be the smart deal.. i dunno.. Just want it to run for now, which it does much to your guys's help!
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Sep 8 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #9

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Must..Fight...Urge...to..Post.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

KT

I'll only tell you what I think if you ask me... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 8 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE (cbenitah @ Sep 8 2005, 08:14 PM)
My mechanic said its a bad one from the begining etc.. and that either a convertion or put carbs on it would be the smart deal.. i dunno.. Just want it to run for now, which it does much to your guys's help!

You need to get a different "mechanic", cause the guy you have now is a neanderthal that knows nothing about Fuel Injection. Tell him to stick with chebbies.

The L-Jet system is the most popular fuel injection (if you base the claim on sheer numbers of cars running it). It was available on multiple European cars, and all the fuel injected Japanese cars of the 80s and 90s used some variation of L-jet.

It was the basis for the Motronic system, which is still in use by Bosch on the current 997.

Check the tube between the air flow meter and the throttle body for cracks. If you have any air leaks after the air flow meter, the mixture will lean out and you motor will run terribly.

+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Sep 8 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Sep 8 2005, 06:29 PM)
You need to get a different "mechanic", cause the guy you have now is a neanderthal that knows nothing about Fuel Injection. Tell him to stick with chebbies.

Well the thing is that I do trust him, he used to work at the volk. factory in germany. and has been a 911 race car mechanic/driver for several years...

I'll get the book and do some reading about it for now!
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 8 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #12

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Is it worth fixing the L-Jet though? My mechanic said its a bad one from the begining

He has nothing to lose/potentially everything to gain by suggesting that huh...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Sep 8 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (bowlsby @ Sep 8 2005, 07:23 PM)
He has nothing to lose/potentially everything to gain by suggesting that huh...

I am aware of just that! That is why I'm looking for people around me... San Diego...

That can show me help me etc to become the master mechanic i was born to be (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)
no but being able to meet other teeners is worth a lot to me!
+Quote Post
double-a
post Sep 8 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

if your injection is at fault, i vote fix it. last december i bought a car that hadn't been driven for 20 years, original 1.8 engine. long story short, we replaced some injection hose, seals on the oil filler neck, and other bits, and since then i've put maybe 2500 miles on it. no problems, starts every time and gets close to 20mpg. not bad for an old fossil, dug out of a garage and dusted off.

if you're going to troubleshoot l-jet, i highly recommend this site: manuals.type4.org, it was of great use in the process of elimination.

~a
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Sep 9 2005, 01:02 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 447

Was this happening before your "Clutch Pop" episode? If not, I bet you might have got the clutch cable too tight.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Sep 9 2005, 06:23 AM
Post #16

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

i did the same thing....then i burned myself real bad from the HEs trying to change the clutch cable tightness...
+Quote Post
redshift
post Sep 9 2005, 06:50 AM
Post #17

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 8 2005, 10:15 PM)
Must..Fight...Urge...to..Post.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

KT

I'll only tell you what I think if you ask me... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif)

Here KT...

YOUR MECHANIC IS A DUMBASS.

M
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Sep 9 2005, 06:58 AM
Post #18

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Learn everything you can about your car (read and research). Apply some common sense cause you are as clever as any of us. Follow a logical plan of problem shooting. Only change 1 thing at a time. Be PATIENT (Britt wait for things to cool off) Argh!

As long as you are prepared don't be afraid to try to fix the FI.

Dave
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Sep 9 2005, 07:36 AM
Post #19

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792

a stock car is best with FI, it's cheaper to fix the FI than convert to carbs(unless someone gave you a free set of webers) fix the FI... IF that is even the issue... I would do more diagnosis and be sure that is the problem... check compression, timing, plugs, all the OTHER things that make a car run too... don't just BET on FI being the issue...

oh yea:

YOUR MECHANIC IS A DUMBASS.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 9 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #20

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (cbenitah @ Sep 8 2005, 06:14 PM)
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 8 2005, 06:09 PM)

If you'd like to fix this yourself, get a book on Bosch fuel injection (there are several, but Charles Probst's book is best) and flip to the L-Jet troubleshooting section.  You'll very likely have the problem fixed in a weekend.

Is it worth fixing the L-Jet though? My mechanic said its a bad one from the begining etc.. and that either a convertion or put carbs on it would be the smart deal.. i dunno.. Just want it to run for now, which it does much to your guys's help!

Find another "mechanic", a real one. This guy sounds like an ignorant bozo who wants your money, any way he can get it, and this seems like a good way. That's $1500 less in the conversion fund. A lot of cars used this system for more than 20 years, including 280Zs, 928s, and many other performance cars. The Cap'n
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 08:24 AM