Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> High performance MPS, Anyone using these?
BMXerror
post Jul 21 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,842

I found these on Auto Atlanta's site. Are they any good? I may need to replace mine, and I may as well do this while I'm at it. Assuming it isn't crap, of course.
http://www.autoatlanta.net/action.lasso?-d...=10&-search
Sorry Bleyseng. I just found these today.
Mark D.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ptravnic
post Jul 21 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 747
Region Association: None

The description, um, lacks. If they are selling good MPS's alone at that price its a good deal. I'm guessing there's some sort of catch? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
brownaar
post Jul 21 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,813

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
lmcchesney
post Jul 21 2006, 12:17 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,381

I guess to wait for Geoff to respond butttttt....
It sound too cheap to have redone the impedance parts of the MPS. I suspect they have removed the epoxy, cover screw and changed the WOT position. The resistor between temp sensor II and the ECU can be done with a variable resistor (potentiometer from radio shack) and adjusted to optimum. Measure the resistance and replace the variable with a fixed resistor placed in line with the temp sensor and ECU. Certainly cheaper than $270 plus shipping. And you learn a little, if not just to increase your vocabulary not used in mixed company.
Larry
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jul 21 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sounds like BS to me. The resistor can help richen the mixture until the engine is fully warm and that's about it. As fo the MPS? It has to be tuned to your specific engine setup (if you differ from stock) all it will do is make it more rich or lean under certain conditions - other tuning would be required.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Jul 21 2006, 12:35 PM
Post #6

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

I cry serious BS here... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Besides, IF this was some hot item and NEW as it says good ole' George would be charging $2,000 for it.

I'm sure Geoff will chime in.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Jul 21 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #7

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

i've never had a problem with AA, but I would be pretty wary of buying any kind of MPS from them.

its probably a stock mps with some caulk and cheese curds squirted inside....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Oled
post Jul 21 2006, 01:09 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 247

I think if you check the Bosch part number you will find it was used on early 2.0's and other brands of cars. The resisor just lets the engine run richer for a litle longer. I have this set up but I bought it from another vender locally and It runs just fine but I can't say I see a noticeable difference. I needed a new mps and this was the best priced unit by far.

Mine was new and a lot cheaper than those specified for later 914's.
+Quote Post
John
post Jul 21 2006, 01:17 PM
Post #9

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

The resistor between temp sensor II and the ECU can be done with a variable resistor (potentiometer from radio shack) and adjusted to optimum.

I didn't know Radio Shack (cell phone shack) still sold electronic components. The last time I was in one (and it will probably be my last time) the punk ass in there told me they didn't sell that stuff anymore. Only cell phones and junk RC toys........

I left.

BTW, I would not trust George or AA with anything. Lies, lies, lies....... (um, sure we have that on the shelf......)
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Jul 21 2006, 01:29 PM
Post #10

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

I bought this from AA several years ago. It is a Stock MPS, new in the box, not rebuilt, and a head temp sensor resister. The resistor changes the input to the FI and richens the mixture by making it think the engine is cold.

My car would not pass smog with the resistor in place.

+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Jul 21 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,842

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jul 21 2006, 12:29 PM) *

I bought this from AA several years ago. It is a Stock MPS, new in the box, not rebuilt, and a head temp sensor resister. The resistor changes the input to the FI and richens the mixture by making it think the engine is cold.

My car would not pass smog with the resistor in place.

AHhhh.... I see. Well, that's why I asked. It sounds good to an idiot who doesn't know what he's looking at (IE, me), but at least the idiot has 'friends' that do. Thanks guys. By the way, what do you think of this kit?
http://www.autoatlanta.net/action.lasso?-d...=10&-search
And as for Radio Schmack, whenever I go in there they ask, "can I help you." My answer varies from, "Not even if I wanted you to." to, "Sure. I need some expert advice on '70s vintage Porsche electronics." I love the faces I get.
Mark D.
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Jul 21 2006, 02:55 PM
Post #12

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

radio shack is definitely not as cool as it used to be. I ended up finding a little mom and pop electronics store right around the corner

If anybody needs resistors let me know....I got a good supply and have become pretty good at building "plug and play" resistor components for the CHT line.

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 21 2006, 03:00 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

The last 3 2.0 engines I have built with Euro P+C's/CC'd heads/all the goodies+ some more cool stuff.. all required a 270ohm resistor or they would not idle.

I'm still trying to get a dyno day scheduled here in SD for some real tuning with the variable pot.

B
+Quote Post
72914S
post Jul 21 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #14

love this shot

Member No.: 900
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(drewvw @ Jul 21 2006, 03:55 PM) *

radio shack is definitely not as cool as it used to be. I ended up finding a little mom and pop electronics store right around the corner

If anybody needs resistors let me know....I got a good supply and have become pretty good at building "plug and play" resistor components for the CHT line.

Tell me about your plug and play components for the CHT. I tried the 270 om resistor attached to the sensor "no worky" I`m using a Radio shack potenteometer.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 21 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

What do you mean by "it didnt work"? the car didnt start? or it didnt run any better?

B
+Quote Post
72914S
post Jul 21 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #16

love this shot

Member No.: 900
Region Association: South East States

started but died, acted like it wasn`t getting any fuel.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jul 21 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

My 75 had one on it when I first got it. Think the shop that did a service played houdini with it. Was that standard for a 75 2.0??? If so where can I get a factory replacement.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jul 21 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

039 971 762 A resistor with temp sensor GA0 016 000 is that the same thing?
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Jul 21 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,610

The only problem is it will take you like 3 years to actually get the part shipped to you by AA!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
Konrad
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jul 22 2006, 04:14 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Just read up on Brad Anders site regarding the "hot set up".

" Special Cases: I only have one specific case, the introduction of the 2.0L motor for the 914 in 1973. It's clear that this motor had a different speed correction curve than the 1.7L, but the motor was introduced using the 1.7L's ECU. My conjecture is that Bosch and/or VW-Porsche had not completed the development and design of the 2.0L ECU, so they had to go with the 1.7L's. Higher flow rate injectors were used to account for the basic mixture difference, but that still didn't handle the changes in the Ve curve. To accommodate, Bosch made a slight change in the MPS - they tweaked it to have a richer full-load response, and they changed the resistance characteristics of the head temperature sensor. First, they changed the set-point of the sensor at 20 C from 2.5 K ohms to 1.3 K ohms, and added a ballast (static) resistor of 270 ohms in series. This brought the cold engine (sitting overnight, ambient temp 20 C) resistance to 1.57 K ohms, considerably leaner than before - this was usually dealt with by running the idle mixture richer, but '73's were always a bit harder to get going when cold. When hot, however, the ballast resistance kept the hot resistance value considerably higher (richer) than would the standard sensor. The richer mixture produced good part-load and full-load response, even with the more choked-off Ve response of the 1.7L ECU. Note that Automobile Atlanta has sold a "hot European setup" for many years - a '73 MPS, temp sensor, and ballast resistor. Gives you a richer part-load mixture for more power - oh, and more emissions and higher fuel consumption, too. "
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 09:45 AM