Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WOT: Cell Phone Manners, What would you do?
porschecb
post Apr 3 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,529
Region Association: None

I work at a retail/wholesale/commercial//internet store. Less sometimes in the retail side of things but they still come in. Here is the deal! Please follow along.

Customer walks in: I say. Hi how can I help you? He has a cell phone and said hold on I have call. I leave and go back to my office.

He calls out for me (after his cell phone call is done) and said where did you go? I said I had work to do also! We start to talk and he gets another cell call and tells me to hold on.

Again I go back to what I was doing and he calls me back out again and asks me what my problem was? I said what problem? He said I am trying to buy/have service done or what ever and asked me why I kept leaving. (do I need to go on?)

Who puts up with this shit?

Is it me? I don't think so!

Keep your cell phones in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will be cold day in hell when I deal with this kind of arrogance

And yes I can afford it!!!!!!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Apr 3 2007, 10:23 PM
Post #2

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Oh come on! There have been assholes long before cell phones. Retail is retail. Either suck it up or get out of the line of fire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Apr 3 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #3

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Tell him to f$*ing leave. You have the right to refuse service to any douchebag asking for it.
+Quote Post
ChrisPaegelow
post Apr 3 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,502

Haha this reminds me of one time I was at the DMV, and I was in line for like two hours behind this guy. So he finally gets to the front, starts talking to the lady in the window, and his cell phone rings, and he takes the call!!! The lady told him to go to the back of the line, and he got REALLY mad and left.

I walked up to the window laughing, and the old lady was like "That's how we roll up in here!"

It was awesome.
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Apr 3 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #5

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

I keep my phone on me, and will tell whoever is calling that i'll call them back. the person in my face gets my immediate attention. Doesn't matter if it's the drivethrough guy, the cashier @ the supermarket, or someone i see everyday. It's a respect thing.

BJ(hold on a sec, i've gotta take this call)H
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 3 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #6

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Apr 4 2007, 01:00 AM) *

I keep my phone on me, and will tell whoever is calling that i'll call them back. the person in my face gets my immediate attention. Doesn't matter if it's the drivethrough guy, the cashier @ the supermarket, or someone i see everyday. It's a respect thing.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) In fact, unless its a really important call I never pick up (though my phone is always on vibrate so no one really notices)
+Quote Post
porschecb
post Apr 3 2007, 11:20 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,529

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 3 2007, 08:23 PM) *

Oh come on! There have been assholes long before cell phones. Retail is retail. Either suck it up or get out of the line of fire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Suck it up!!? I have delt with every kind of retail untill cell phones!! Yea now I have a new kind of asshole! Line of fire? NEVER! Like it or not they will be trained. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
jasons
post Apr 4 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #8

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

Yeah, cell phones have created a whole new level of selfish rudeness. Old friend use to invite me out to dinner. He would get a call, and just keep talking throughout dinner which always annoyed me.

When I am the guy with the phone, I try to appologize and ask the person providing service if I can take the call. Then be brief. Or, I just take it, say I have to, and forefeit my turn if its that important. But there is no need the world should stop for me, you, or anyone else.

+Quote Post
LarryR
post Apr 4 2007, 01:13 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,604

QUOTE(porschecb @ Apr 3 2007, 09:12 PM) *

I work at a retail/wholesale/commercial//internet store. Less sometimes in the retail side of things but they still come in. Here is the deal! Please follow along.

Customer walks in: I say. Hi how can I help you? He has a cell phone and said hold on I have call. I leave and go back to my office.

He calls out for me (after his cell phone call is done) and said where did you go? I said I had work to do also! We start to talk and he gets another cell call and tells me to hold on.

Again I go back to what I was doing and he calls me back out again and asks me what my problem was? I said what problem? He said I am trying to buy/have service done or what ever and asked me why I kept leaving. (do I need to go on?)

Keep your cell phones in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the customer is always right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

J/K I am suprised you did not proceed to shove his cell into.... when he talked to you like that ... Oh well guess it takes all kinds have a beer and laugh... his bad carma will come around to get him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
highways
post Apr 4 2007, 01:22 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,296

This is exactly why I carry 2 1/2' of aluminum foil in my pocket. 2 1/2' is enough to wrap the cell phone into a ball of foil- around the persons head. No more signal, no more chat chat.
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Apr 4 2007, 01:52 AM
Post #11

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Apr 3 2007, 10:00 PM) *

I do the same.
Either that or I'll mute my phone and call the person back.
But it is just plain rude to answer a phone right in someone's face and pretend they're not there, until their little phone call is done of course.

SO you did the same exact thing I would do. Don't need to stand there waiting for them to get their chit chat over with.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 4 2007, 06:23 AM
Post #12

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Pricks like this guy are the reason why I work behind a closed gate!
+Quote Post
abbott295
post Apr 4 2007, 06:34 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,468

Isn't this a lot like being in a store, at the parts counter, when the company phone rings and they take the call and leave you standing there? Most people will put the caller on hold, but sometimes not. Rather like cutting in line; should not be tolerated.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 4 2007, 09:56 AM
Post #14

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I use my cellphone for both business and non business calls.
Its the only number on my business card.
So, Im tapping 3000 minutes a month.
My phone rings everywhere...in the bathroom always makes my jump.

But, I use vibrate all the time.
If I am talking to someone, I have VM for the call that is coming in.
If its really important to that person calling, they will call back.

Rich
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 4 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(porschecb @ Apr 3 2007, 09:12 PM) *

I hate the guy who comes to the counter and while we are all on the phone talking to mail order customers, shouts "HELLO, HELLO!" Even though he sees us talking on the phones!!!!!!!
The worst cell phone guys are the ones who have the device attached to their ears. You KNOW that they REALLY feel important!!!!! We just wait until they finish all of their calls and then help them!
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Apr 4 2007, 10:22 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

I always have my phone on and have to take calls 24/7. Handling problems at customer accounts is my job. If I am in the middle of something, I will take the call and ask if it is important or if I can call back. If what I am doing is more important, then I make arrangements before I go. Voice mail was created for a reason. I try not to be rude, but, sometimes I have to. I always aplogize to whoever I am dealing with. I agree with the fact that you have the right to refuse service. If I where in your shoes, I would have explained to the person that you are running a business and your time is worth money. Ask him/ her if they are willing to pay to have you stand and wait for them to finish the conversation. Othwise, your in the office filling orders and doing the same thing he is. Making money. BTW, I really try to make sure to turn my phone to vibrate when I am dining out. If I have to take a call, I excuse myself and walk outside to talk.
My personal pet problem is people on airplanes that keep talking. I have listened to the conversations, they really are not that important.
+Quote Post
brer
post Apr 4 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

grab phone, Destroy like John Belushi would.

Then humbly say. sorry.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 4 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

cell phones make for good "cellf importance!" It is amazing how many itinerants one sees walking down the street chatting on their cell phones.

+Quote Post
Allan
post Apr 4 2007, 10:50 AM
Post #19

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I would have done the same thing you did. I wouldn't stand idle while someone was chatting on the phone for more than 30 seconds.

One of my biggest issues with cell phones is those people who refuse to turn them off or to vibrate while they are in a meeting or training class. If I'm teaching a class and someones cell goes off I'll stop the class, point out the offending culprit to the other students and tell them that the class will run a little longer thanks to him or her.

I always put my phone in my front pants pocket on vibrate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bperry
post Apr 4 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #20

Lurker

Member No.: 1,661

If you want to make sure you don't get situations like this,
go buy a cell phone jammer. Not exactly legal under FCC rules
but if you look around you can easily find them for a couple hundred bucks.
Some churches are even installing them to prevent rude patrons from
talking during services.
Simply put it under the counter and flip the power switch
when necessary. Problem solved....

There are even portable units that you could keep in your pocket.

--- bill
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 10:18 PM