Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Center tunnel fuel lines, Stainless or brakeline
whitey
post May 7 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,508

I'm going to replace my tunnel lines...can I get away with fabricating my own lines out of brake line (what size-2.0 FI) or should I buck up for the stainless lines?

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skline
post May 7 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #2

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I have done a couple of my cars, not FI however but I used brake lines, they are stainless and they work great. I would think for FI you would use a 5/16 and 1/4? They only come in 5' lengths from Kragen which gets you from the front to the rear only. You would use rubber line from there. I bought a flaring tool and bender when I did my first carb conversion. Now all I do is V8 cars so I only need one line and block off the return line at the front.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post May 7 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #3

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

I used a pair of 5/16" mild steel brake lines from NAPA. (Those must be for trucks since I've never seen a car that used brake lines that big.) Got a 5' length for the tunnel and a shorter one for the engine compartment. Used a brass 90 degree fitting to make the turn. Used a Harbor Freight tubing bender to bend the heck out of the short lines so they come up in the stock location. It's a really nice custom job, if I do say so myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

If I had it to do over again, I would buy the stainless kit. No muss, no fuss, just install it and be done with it. But it wasn't available yet when I did the job.

This was for a 2.0 D-jet car and it seems to be getting enough fuel.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 7 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Buy the lines from Chris and be done with the replacement.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 7 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #5

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

3/8" and 5/16" Stainless Tube (I bought 10' lengths)

or better yet

buy them from Racer Chris.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 7 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #6

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) no hassle deal with the ones chris offers. i know i would go thru atleast 2 10' pieces if i tried to make them. i'd have to buy the tubing bender set. tinkering is not my thing. even taking the end off of a coil wire and replacing it is pushing the limits. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

k
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post May 7 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #7

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

If you are not going to race it, why not just use a good quality fuel injection hose the entire length? I don't know why everyone goes to the hassle of metal lines and all the fittings since the newer style hose is very good and designed for high pressure. Racing does prohibit this though. The rubber lines only take a couple of minutes to run.

I ran mine from the front fuel pump directly to the rear filter without any additional fittings. I slid some heat shrink over the portion inside the car for abrasion resistance and some temp insulating sleeve over the outside portion.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
John
post May 7 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #8

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 7 2007, 08:53 PM) *

If you are not going to race it, why not just use a good quality fuel injection hose the entire length? I don't know why everyone goes to the hassle of metal lines and all the fittings since the newer style hose is very good and designed for high pressure. Racing does prohibit this though. The rubber lines only take a couple of minutes to run.

I ran mine from the front fuel pump directly to the rear filter without any additional fittings. I slid some heat shrink over the portion inside the car for abrasion resistance and some temp insulating sleeve over the outside portion.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Wow, you have the car up on a single scary style jackstand. I'm not getting under there.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post May 7 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #9

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

He was just demonstrating the amazing balance his car has!! I wouldnt get under there either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 01:01 PM