Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> adjusting the shift linkage
mrhurtalot
post Sep 29 2007, 09:22 AM
Post #1

VRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOM!

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,996

need as much info as possible, looked on pelicans, nothing, IPB searches dont ever work well on here! haha.

this is desperately urgent, this may be my last weekend to drive her. so today is a total work day for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) TIA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Sep 29 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #2

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

Your Haynes manual has a good section on it, tailshift, sideshift?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 29 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

as paul asks, which flavor? what are the issues you need to adjust away?

k
+Quote Post
mrhurtalot
post Sep 29 2007, 09:44 AM
Post #4

VRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOM!

the rod is just not the one that came with my car. the DAPO welded mine together, poorly. and well its a SIDE SHIFTER, last time i drove the car (before my little cv forgetfullness fiasco) i couldnt access my fourth or fifth gears. transmissions in fine condition. when i go to shift to 4th it feels like i dropped it into 2nd, and the same for 5th/3rd. my assumption was the shift linkage need adjustment.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Sep 29 2007, 10:09 AM
Post #5

If you don't have a haynes manual, try here; http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=52816
+Quote Post
mrhurtalot
post Sep 29 2007, 10:10 AM
Post #6

VRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOM!

ive got it sitting right here in front of me, page 90, 1973 onwards.. but i dont see how this will fix my "missing" gears? ill try it out though, since i dont know what else to do. hahah
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Sep 29 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #7

Sounds like your typical 'out of adjustment' problem. Not enough throw, in the

right direction to engauge those gears, to much the other way and there is no first

and reverse. Get it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mrhurtalot
post Sep 29 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #8

VRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOM!

okay now im out in the garage, carpets out, etc. ive got the clamp bolt out, and now it says, turn the shift rod clockwise in the direction of travel.. WHAT?

basically, ive got the shift levers bottom part (as in the smaller section of the bend) vertical in relation to the car, all the way to the right against the stop.
now i must twist something? im not understanding this!!
+Quote Post
joefri187
post Sep 29 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,047
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Sep 29 2007, 09:46 AM) *

okay now im out in the garage, carpets out, etc. ive got the clamp bolt out, and now it says, turn the shift rod clockwise in the direction of travel.. WHAT?

basically, ive got the shift levers bottom part (as in the smaller section of the bend) vertical in relation to the car, all the way to the right against the stop.
now i must twist something? im not understanding this!!

Take the access plate off that's back near the firewall. You should see the shift rod. Twist/turn the shift rod clockwise to the right.
+Quote Post
mrhurtalot
post Sep 29 2007, 04:05 PM
Post #10

VRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOM!

ohhhh under the little armrest box? i shouldve thought about that...

meh, time to go back out now!
+Quote Post
mrhurtalot
post Oct 2 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #11

VRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOM!

okay, so ive checked in the little hole under the box thing. and theres not a clamp thing in there or anything to turn, and the inspection plate was missing already...

whats the remedy here? im so totally lost now.

pretty productive night otherwise, cv installed, muffler patched and installed, some other random little things. but not the linkage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
purple
post Oct 2 2007, 07:03 AM
Post #12

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942

you should have marked the rod and clamp at the bottom of the shifter so you know what you're doing. What I did is leave the clamping nut in, take a pair of vise-grips and hold on tight to the linkage at the rear cover. Then it's just a matter of getting the linkage into the clamp right where you want it. dont expect to get it right the first time.

+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Oct 2 2007, 08:38 AM
Post #13

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There is an access hole behind the shifter in the shifter plate. Take up the carpet to see it.

There is an 8mm (13mm head) bolt that you can see. This is the clamp that holds the shift rod to the shifter.

Loosen the bolt and rotate the rod - clockwise or anti-clockwise, to gain back the throw in the right to left movement of the shifter. You want equal amounts in each direction and very small adjustments make a big difference.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 2 2007, 09:25 AM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

The idea is that you loosen (don't remove) the clamp nut, then put the shift lever into a particular position, then move the front shift rod into the appropriate position to match the gear shift lever's.

At least, that's what the factory procedure has you do. Put the transmission in neutral, first. Loosen the clamp nut. Put a pair of vise-grips on the front shift rod--clamp them on through that hole at the back of the center tunnel, so you're not getting in your own way. Then put the gear shift lever all the way to the right, and make sure the part below the bend is straight up from a fore-and-aft perspective. Then crank the rod all the way to the right, and tighten the bolt. Try the shift pattern, and futz with the exact position of the gear shift lever versus the front shift rod until you get things set up the way you like them.

--DD
+Quote Post
angerosa
post Oct 2 2007, 09:54 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,023
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have to offer my two cents as well - Everyone is giving good advice. I just did this a couple of months ago. Mine isn't perfect but it's pretty close. I need to re-adjust.

If your linkage is welded together behind the firewall - the only adjustment you have (I believe) is the spline connection right under your shifter. Put your car in first, then unbolt the three metal bolts holding the shifter base to the linkage chanel. Undo the screw that holds the spline, adjust it so that first gear is further to the left (closer to you when in the drivers seat), that will make 4th and 5th reachable in the travel of your linkage.

You should be able to shift into every gear with the clutch pushed in and the car not running. Make sure you can get into every one with it off and it should work with it on.

To really see what's going on, I took off the linkage cover at the transmission, made adjustments and ran back and looked under the car to see what the position of the linkage looked like for each gear at the transmission.

BTW - I have a tail shift, can you post a picture of where the side shift connects to the transmission under the car. I don't know I've ever seen one.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 2 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #16

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 2 2007, 07:25 AM) *

The idea is that you loosen (don't remove) the clamp nut, then put the shift lever into a particular position, then move the front shift rod into the appropriate position to match the gear shift lever's.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

no need to rotate the rod itself. leave everything connected and bolted down, simply losen the nut on the clamp right at the shifter (13mm socket) while in neutrual. you'll have to hold the shift lever when losening the bolt, otherwise it'll slip.

then move the shift lever left or right just a bit, depending on what gears are missing and clamp back down.
do the same forward/backwards if needed.

repeat until all gears engage!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mrhurtalot
post Oct 2 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #17

VRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOM!

ah. thats where i was confused, the haynes shows another clamping bolt in the rear back access hole on the forward rod. mine didnt even seem to have a spot for one to be. but the vice grip idea and Angerosas tips (as well as everyone elses!) seem to be what i need. ill run home probably tommorrow night, since i have a 230-530 engineering class tonight, and ill work on it some more.

some kids at my old school are trying to start a "main drag" thing, and i wanted to drop by saturday night and show off a bit. so thanks alot guys!!
+Quote Post
purple
post Oct 2 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #18

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942

You will look an ass trying to drag race in a 914...just FYI
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 2 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #19

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Oct 2 2007, 12:30 PM) *

ah. thats where i was confused, the haynes shows another clamping bolt in the rear back access hole on the forward rod. mine didnt even seem to have a spot for one to be. but the vice grip idea and Angerosas tips (as well as everyone elses!) seem to be what i need. ill run home probably tommorrow night, since i have a 230-530 engineering class tonight, and ill work on it some more.

some kids at my old school are trying to start a "main drag" thing, and i wanted to drop by saturday night and show off a bit. so thanks alot guys!!

The second "clamp" is for the tailshifter linkage ...page 90 Fig. 5.28

Your linkage for a sideshifter ... page 89 Fig 5.27
+Quote Post
cassidy_bolger
post Oct 2 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 5,737

Don't forget to check your bushings. If they are shot or missing, you might might not be able to get it adjusted no matter what you do - the rod will just be flopping around.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 09:02 AM