Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What else should CFR Tangerine do to my 73 2.0?, Help me spend my money
auerbach
post Mar 1 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #1

Lee David Auerbach, Esq

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,947
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

At the suggestion of the board, I am bringing my 76 914 with a 73 2.0 (dual Webers) to Chris to have the engine and drive train looked at. I already have a new cam on the list. I'm also considering SS headers and break and fuel lines.

Any one else have any constructive suggestions OTHER THAN dropping in a V8 from a Cayenne GTS?

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sww914
post Mar 1 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

How much money do you want to spend? What else does the car have? If it has sagging 75# springs in the back I'd do something about that. If the pistons and cylinders aren't too fresh I'd throw a set of 96's with higher compression at it too. Valve job and maybe a wee bit of porting?
+Quote Post
auerbach
post Mar 1 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #3

Lee David Auerbach, Esq

Thanks I'll add that to the discussion list!
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 2 2008, 01:49 AM
Post #4

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Are you looking for more engine improvements or will you upgrade anything. Replacement springs and shocks might be good? Or a sway bar? IDK what is on your car.

Chris is a good guy, I'm sure he will have suggestions once he sees the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Mar 2 2008, 01:55 AM
Post #5

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 1 2008, 09:17 PM) *

How much money do you want to spend? What else does the car have? If it has sagging 75# springs in the back I'd do something about that. If the pistons and cylinders aren't too fresh I'd throw a set of 96's with higher compression at it too. Valve job and maybe a wee bit of porting?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Suspension wise, what do you have? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
auerbach
post Mar 2 2008, 07:19 AM
Post #6

Lee David Auerbach, Esq

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 2 2008, 02:55 AM) *

QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 1 2008, 09:17 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Suspension wise, what do you have? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

From what I understand, the car is stock other than the engine that had some work done to it by Black Forest Racing in Fla.about 4-5 years ago.
+Quote Post
Rleog
post Mar 2 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,239

No harm in getting lots of opinions but, as Jim D suggested, your best advice will probably come from Chris once he has looked the car over.
+Quote Post
auerbach
post Mar 2 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #8

Lee David Auerbach, Esq

That's the plan, but I have to have my "list" or my wife will have to stop calling me compulsive.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 2 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #9

Its alive

Well, Chris does have quite a bit of cool stuff in his shop . . . you very well could get impulsive once you get there anyways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
firstknight13
post Mar 2 2008, 11:07 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,817

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) how far do you want to take it. CFR does awesome fenders too.....widening that is. maybe he is up to the lambo doors too...well if you have money to spend CFR is a good place to spend it.....i know i shop there myself !!!!
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 3 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Make it MassIVe :-)

Chris knows all about installing my engines....
+Quote Post
purple
post Mar 3 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #12

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942

give it to me and you wont have any more compulsive problems (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 8 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #13

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Rleog @ Mar 2 2008, 11:28 AM) *

No harm in getting lots of opinions but, as Jim D suggested, your best advice will probably come from Chris once he has looked the car over.

It's amazing what you find wrong with these cars when you go looking. Some of the work done in the past left a lot to be desired for sure. The previous owners and shops who serviced this car were guilty of very poor workmanship/maintenance.
Whoever "upgraded" the engine to a 2056 got a piece of the tin caught between the cylinder and crankcase, causing the large oil leak that began our involvement with the car.
Someone installed new floor insulation in the passenger compartment, right over the original sound deadening panels without even cleaning off the dirt and loose crap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
The latest item Ed found today is that the shift linkage was operated without a cup bushing for many, many miles. The shift coupler is worn so thin that there is a pinhole through the side. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
The engine is back in the car as of today, and we are finally nearing completion of the project.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SGB
post Apr 8 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #14

just visiting

Member No.: 404

All this begs a good theoretical question-
Chris, If someone came to you and said, "I have a decent 914 and $3000, how do I make it better?"
What is your answer?
Suspension?
Brakes?
Engine (of course we ALL want a MasIVe, but that is whyI set the cost figure that challenges that choice)?
Exhaust?
Cooling?

I'm picking your brain for the experience you have, but I guess this would be a road car, not track. I have my opinions too, of course. I would go for trans rebuild first then Mallory and SSI/ tangerine and koni and Kumho (or better) and all bushings and a dead pedal. I think there might be money left for one tank of gas!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 8 2008, 06:54 PM
Post #15

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(SGB @ Apr 8 2008, 07:31 PM) *

All this begs a good theoretical question-
Chris, If someone came to you and said, "I have a decent 914 and $3000, how do I make it better?"
What is your answer?
Suspension?
Brakes?
Engine (of course we ALL want a MasIVe, but that is whyI set the cost figure that challenges that choice)?
Exhaust?
Cooling?

Its tough to answer that on a purely theoretical basis due to the variables of specific condition of the vehicle and what is "better" in the eyes of the owner.
Does the owner want the car to handle better, look better, sound better, or just accelerate better?
Lets assume that NO needed repairs are discovered when the car is in the shop, and that the car is a mostly stock 2 liter -4.
Taking each of your categories in order, the things I would consider important to upgrade are: Suspension - adjustable front anti-sway bar and bigger rear springs, along with Bilstein or Koni shocks (choice depends on customer preference); Brakes - you don't need to spend much money to have good brakes, good pads with a high coefficient of friction and a M/C brace to prevent firewall flex; Engine - for $3K you might (barely) squeeze in a cam swap, head work and dual carbs for 20 or more hp gain; Exhaust - a Tangerine Header by itself will give approximately 9% more torque and hp nearly across the entire rpm range, and make the engine sound more like a Porsche than a VW; Cooling - the engine will run cooler with a Tangerine Header installed.
I think if you do all the installation yourself you could get the exhaust, suspension, and brake upgrades mentioned and meet the budget. Having a shop do the labor will cost about another $1K.

Another approach would be to spend the $$ for 911 front suspension and calipers, 5 lug rear hubs and good wheels/tires. Also needed would be a 19mm M/C and replace the prop valve with a tee.
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Apr 8 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #16

Dr

Member No.: 4,832

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)

Chris as long as you are here

what is the difference between today's exhaust and this?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
auerbach
post Apr 8 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #17

Lee David Auerbach, Esq

not to interrupt this portion of the thread, but Chris is almost finished with his recussitation of my 914 and I will post pictures and a review of the surgery once it's completed. I can not thank the board enough for the CFR reccomendation and I only have extremely high praise for Chris and Ed.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 8 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #18

Its alive

You car looks good Lee. I saw it sometime after you dropped it off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 9 2008, 06:22 AM
Post #19

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

QUOTE(auerbach @ Apr 8 2008, 10:28 PM) *

not to interrupt this portion of the thread, but Chris is almost finished with his recussitation of my 914 and I will post pictures and a review of the surgery once it's completed. I can not thank the board enough for the CFR reccomendation and I only have extremely high praise for Chris and Ed.

Yeah, it sounds like Chris' services were deperately needed for your car.. 914s are often "screwed up" by people that should not be working on them.

I am glad to see Chris branching out a bit to offer more services- thats befeicial to everyone.

Chris and I have chatted about him being a NW rep for our products and engine kit assemblies.. I'd think after a week of training here at Heaven Ed could be a competent assembler of MassIVe power pretty easily given his experience.

Glad ya'll hoked up..
+Quote Post
SGB
post Apr 9 2008, 07:02 AM
Post #20

just visiting

Member No.: 404

Thanks for the great response Mr Foley! My next project is taking shape (in my mind) now...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 09:46 AM