Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WHY? does my 911&914 rune better with 1/4 tank
yellow914
post May 9 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,861
Region Association: Northern California

I noticed when I had a 74 carrera 2.7 that at about 1/4 tank I'd get more H.P.'s and now that I have a 75 1.8 914 I get the same thing way better throttle response??? I doubt it's due to weight...any ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post May 9 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The gravitational pull of the fuel in the tank counteracts the torque of the engine when the tank is full. At less than half a tank, the effect is reversed. The net effect is that with a nearly empty tank, the fuel is actually accelerated into the engine, like a tiny turbocharger inside your fuel pump.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
yellow914
post May 9 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,861

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ May 8 2008, 11:45 PM) *

The gravitational pull of the fuel in the tank counteracts the torque of the engine when the tank is full. At less than half a tank, the effect is reversed. The net effect is that with a nearly empty tank, the fuel is actually accelerated into the engine, like a tiny turbocharger inside your fuel pump.

Awesome!...it was driving me nuts....I noticed like a 20% plus increase!
+Quote Post
ericread
post May 9 2008, 03:04 AM
Post #4

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

Sooooo, the gravitational pull of the fuel... I have posted some BS remarks before, but this tops the chart! Let's see now, gravitational pull of an object is directly proportional to it's mass. Therefore, the mass of the gasoline would be so significant as to exert it's gravitational pull over the Earth's gravity and other large objects...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

A very entertaining explanation, but it just doesn't hold water... er, gas.
Let's see... A gallon of gas weighs about 6 pounds. So a 12 gallon tank would weigh about 72 pounds. For shits and giggles, let's say that the weight of a gallon of gasoline = about 0.45 Kilograms at 60 degrees F (temperature is actually an important variable here). Thus, you have a mass of about (72 pounds times .45) 32.4 Kilograms.

So the 32.4 Kilograms of mass (the gasoline) is interacting with a significant gravitational force. Let's see, the other really big gravitational force is the Earth, which has a Mass of about 6,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 (6.6 sextillion) short tons (6.0 sextillion metric tons), or 6.0 × 1024 kg.

So in a contest of gravitational forces between the Earth and the gas, the Earth clearly wins. In fact, if it were true that there was a significant gravitational pull of objects which have a minor mass, say like a 50 story building, then the gas would be pulled to the building rather than to the engine. In fact we would all be pulled to the building. Bummer.

Nope. But it was fun to dissect. I haven't done this math in about 25 years, since I taught astronomy at a planetarium, so I may be off by a decimal point or so.

But it really doesn't matter, the gravitational pull of non-significant objects (say, smaller than the moon) just don't have any measurable effect, and thus, doesn't asssit in your car's performance.

Let's do this again sometime (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post May 9 2008, 05:55 AM
Post #5

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ May 9 2008, 02:45 AM) *

Agreed. Any astronomer will tell you that the more the universe expands, the faster that expansion is occurring. Therefore one can conclude that the emptier the vessel, the faster it goes, so your fuel tank will reach maximum velocity just before yout engine is starved for fuel.
+Quote Post
SGB
post May 9 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #6

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 9 2008, 06:55 AM) *

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ May 9 2008, 02:45 AM) *

Agreed. Any astronomer will tell you that the more the universe expands, the faster that expansion is occurring. Therefore one can conclude that the emptier the vessel, the faster it goes, so your fuel tank will reach maximum velocity just before yout engine is starved for fuel.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
ericread
post May 9 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #7

The Viper Blue 914

Oh, I forgot to mention one other thing. Besides the gravitational pull thing, I need to mention the error in the statement "the fuel is actually accelerated into the engine, like a tiny turbocharger inside your fuel pump".

Everybody knows that you can't turbo a 914... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post May 9 2008, 09:15 AM
Post #8

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

It seems to me it might have something to do with the choice of measuring instruments. Butt dynos are are notoriously inaccurate. It may be open for discussion but, my opinion is they may vary in the neighborhood of + or - 20%.

+Quote Post
purple
post May 9 2008, 09:51 AM
Post #9

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942

Glad to see the sense of humor is still alive!

probably because gas weighs 8 pounds per gallon. less weight = more speed
+Quote Post
ericread
post May 9 2008, 10:00 AM
Post #10

The Viper Blue 914

I absolutely love the term "tiny turbocharger inside your fuel pump"!!!

It gives me visions of tiny exhaust pipes and wastegates! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Whatever it is, I want one!!!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 9 2008, 10:10 AM
Post #11

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

You know, Randall recently did an experiment with something like this. He found that the car was definately faster with fuel in it than without. Unfortunately so did the rest of us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
ericread
post May 9 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #12

The Viper Blue 914

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 9 2008, 09:10 AM) *

You know, Randall recently did an experiment with something like this. He found that the car was definately faster with fuel in it than without. Unfortunately so did the rest of us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
brer
post May 9 2008, 10:17 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

Octane settles over time so when you get to the bottom of the tank you get all the juicy bits.
+Quote Post
ericread
post May 9 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #14

The Viper Blue 914

QUOTE(brer @ May 9 2008, 09:17 AM) *

Octane settles over time so when you get to the bottom of the tank you get all the juicy bits.

I have optimized my tank so that I only feed my engine from fuel the bottom quarter of the tank. No matter how full the tank is, my engine only receives gas from the bottom quarter. This allows me to always access the juicy Octane bits.
+Quote Post
purple
post May 9 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #15

OMG NO WAY! I DID THAT TOO! We Rock!
+Quote Post
brer
post May 9 2008, 10:32 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

How did you do that?
If someone makes a kit I'm buying.
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post May 9 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 5,506

Thats deep WOW. good info (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
ericread
post May 9 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #18

The Viper Blue 914

Let's face it. There are no quick fixes to milage or performance. You have to use the gas magments if you want significant increases.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 9 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #19

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(ericread @ May 9 2008, 09:44 AM) *

Let's face it. There are no quick fixes to mileage or performance. You have to use the gas magnets if you want significant increases.

Word! (after I made a little spelling correction)

I used one of those turbo devices in my intake once and my stocks went up by 70% I am now a believer. I religiously watch late night and day-time cable to find out the latest innovations. Billy Blanks is a God to me...

I hear the latest is to rub pickle juice on your tires to get more miles out of them. It is an incredible use for something that goes to the sink in most cases. The tire companies don't want you to know that. In fact they will probably buy this website and shut it down to keep this information under wraps... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
purple
post May 9 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 9 2008, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ May 9 2008, 09:44 AM) *

Let's face it. There are no quick fixes to mileage or performance. You have to use the gas magnets if you want significant increases.

Word! (after I made a little spelling correction)

I used one of those turbo devices in my intake once and my stocks went up by 70% I am now a believer. I religiously watch late night and day-time cable to find out the latest innovations. Billy Blanks is a God to me...

I hear the latest is to rub pickle juice on your tires to get more miles out of them. It is an incredible use for something that goes to the sink in most cases. The tire companies don't want you to know that. In fact they will probably buy this website and shut it down to keep this information under wraps... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

See, my previous owner stapled bacon to my tires before selling the car to me... sadly, all it does is make the tires slippery...

I seriously want to change my forum name from purple to Bacon_Tires now.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 02:03 AM