Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Accelerator will not return to idle
tornik550
post Jul 17 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

I have weber 40 idf carbs with a bugpack linkage. Is there supposed to be a spring on the accelerator pedal that returns the pedal idle or are the springs on the carbs the only springs to return the pedal to idle?

Thanks again-
Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rebelmdot
post Jul 17 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #2

914ini

Member No.: 8,625
Region Association: South East States

Spring on Carb is the only one. I had similar problem and had to get a heavy duty spring to accomplish the idle release that I wanted. If you want, I can take a picture of what I did.
+Quote Post
SGB
post Jul 17 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #3

just visiting

Member No.: 404

I have Webers, but use 3 springs; one at the end of the cable and attatched to the firewall, and one on each carb between the linkage and the base plate. For me, it helps fully close both carbs at idle.
+Quote Post
tornik550
post Jul 18 2008, 07:29 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Jul 17 2008, 11:40 PM) *

Spring on Carb is the only one. I had similar problem and had to get a heavy duty spring to accomplish the idle release that I wanted. If you want, I can take a picture of what I did.

Thank you for your response. If it is not too much of a problem, would you mind taking a pic of the springs?

The springs that come with the kit are very wimpy.
+Quote Post
rebelmdot
post Jul 18 2008, 07:51 AM
Post #5

914ini

I made that little piece to accomodate the large spring. We have a store called Tractor Supply Company where I got them. I bought several in different lengths and stiffnesses before I go this one right, but I will tell you, my throttle snaps back.
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jul 18 2008, 08:29 AM) *

Thank you for your response. If it is not too much of a problem, would you mind taking a pic of the springs?

+Quote Post
tornik550
post Jul 18 2008, 08:18 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Jul 18 2008, 09:51 AM) *

I made that little piece to accomodate the large spring. We have a store called Tractor Supply Company where I got them. I bought several in different lengths and stiffnesses before I go this one right, but I will tell you, my throttle snaps back.
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jul 18 2008, 08:29 AM) *

Thanks for the pics. We have a TSC a few minutes from my house. I will head up there this weekend and rig something up.

Thanks,
Steve
+Quote Post
jmill
post Jul 18 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #7

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

He's got a single and you have duals. If you add a spring run one at the center of the linkage. If you run a spring at each carb you have to get the geometry the same on both. Otherwise the difference in spring pressure will tweak the linkage and your carbs will be out of sync.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 18 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #8

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Too much spring can be worse, for the car, than no spring at all. Before you spend the money, check the pedal bushings and the cable itself. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
rebelmdot
post Jul 18 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #9

914ini

Cap'n, I am relatively new to this, and I did this in an effort to solve the problem of poor return that I was having. Can you elaborate on what potential problems I could have by putting that big spring on? Thanks.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 18 2008, 09:59 AM) *

Too much spring can be worse, for the car, than no spring at all. Before you spend the money, check the pedal bushings and the cable itself. The Cap'n

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 18 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #10

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) x2 w/the cap'n on this one. the cable pivot piece has a shaft that inserts into the pictured tube in the the box assem. the pivot tube may still have the old plastic bushings (that have been removed on this box). the bushings wallow and the pivot shaft sits cockeyed and can feel bound up. i chased a slow to return to idle issue. bigger springs only made matters worse. i installed the 2 small bronze bushings that come in the bushing kit and the pivot was smooth as glass. you may note a loud sound while pushing on the pedle also.

k

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
davep
post Jul 18 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #11

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

The pedal itself should provide some spring action. New ones do, worn out ones don't.
The bushings in the pedal cluster require regular maintenance. Brake fluid will cause the plastic bushings to swell and bind. Annual inspections can warn of impending failure. A few people on the forum offer cluster rebuild services.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 18 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #12

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The Weber tech manual for VW applications suggests adding a return spring to the carb linkage arm to make sure it closes. This is for dual carbs, obviously.

Zach
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 01:03 AM