Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator will not return to idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have weber 40 idf carbs with a bugpack linkage. Is there supposed to be a spring on the accelerator pedal that returns the pedal idle or are the springs on the carbs the only springs to return the pedal to idle?

Thanks again-
Steve
rebelmdot
Spring on Carb is the only one. I had similar problem and had to get a heavy duty spring to accomplish the idle release that I wanted. If you want, I can take a picture of what I did.
SGB
I have Webers, but use 3 springs; one at the end of the cable and attatched to the firewall, and one on each carb between the linkage and the base plate. For me, it helps fully close both carbs at idle.
tornik550
QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Jul 17 2008, 11:40 PM) *

Spring on Carb is the only one. I had similar problem and had to get a heavy duty spring to accomplish the idle release that I wanted. If you want, I can take a picture of what I did.

Thank you for your response. If it is not too much of a problem, would you mind taking a pic of the springs?

The springs that come with the kit are very wimpy.
rebelmdot
I made that little piece to accomodate the large spring. We have a store called Tractor Supply Company where I got them. I bought several in different lengths and stiffnesses before I go this one right, but I will tell you, my throttle snaps back.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jul 18 2008, 08:29 AM) *

Thank you for your response. If it is not too much of a problem, would you mind taking a pic of the springs?

tornik550
QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Jul 18 2008, 09:51 AM) *

I made that little piece to accomodate the large spring. We have a store called Tractor Supply Company where I got them. I bought several in different lengths and stiffnesses before I go this one right, but I will tell you, my throttle snaps back.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jul 18 2008, 08:29 AM) *

Thanks for the pics. We have a TSC a few minutes from my house. I will head up there this weekend and rig something up.

Thanks,
Steve
jmill
He's got a single and you have duals. If you add a spring run one at the center of the linkage. If you run a spring at each carb you have to get the geometry the same on both. Otherwise the difference in spring pressure will tweak the linkage and your carbs will be out of sync.
Cap'n Krusty
Too much spring can be worse, for the car, than no spring at all. Before you spend the money, check the pedal bushings and the cable itself. The Cap'n
rebelmdot
Cap'n, I am relatively new to this, and I did this in an effort to solve the problem of poor return that I was having. Can you elaborate on what potential problems I could have by putting that big spring on? Thanks.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 18 2008, 09:59 AM) *

Too much spring can be worse, for the car, than no spring at all. Before you spend the money, check the pedal bushings and the cable itself. The Cap'n

rhodyguy
agree.gif x2 w/the cap'n on this one. the cable pivot piece has a shaft that inserts into the pictured tube in the the box assem. the pivot tube may still have the old plastic bushings (that have been removed on this box). the bushings wallow and the pivot shaft sits cockeyed and can feel bound up. i chased a slow to return to idle issue. bigger springs only made matters worse. i installed the 2 small bronze bushings that come in the bushing kit and the pivot was smooth as glass. you may note a loud sound while pushing on the pedle also.

k
davep
The pedal itself should provide some spring action. New ones do, worn out ones don't.
The bushings in the pedal cluster require regular maintenance. Brake fluid will cause the plastic bushings to swell and bind. Annual inspections can warn of impending failure. A few people on the forum offer cluster rebuild services.
VaccaRabite
The Weber tech manual for VW applications suggests adding a return spring to the carb linkage arm to make sure it closes. This is for dual carbs, obviously.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.