Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What to do in California, It's all Andy's fault
FlatSix
post Feb 2 2004, 07:44 AM
Post #1

English Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

To cut a very long story short...

The post by Andy saying he'd been out driving in his 914 and got sunburn, numerous other threads saying how winter sucks etc.

Well, I've booked a ticket and am flying out to LA on Thursday. I'm staying with a friend of mine near san Diego next weekend and leaving there on the morning of Monday 9th.

My plane leave San Francisco on Friday 13th so I have a few days to see California.

So my questions are:
What 914 places should I visit?
Where should I stay in San Francisco (there is a budget!)
Does anyone want to meet up for a beer (or two) at a hooters. I've just got to visit... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Andy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 2 2004, 11:09 AM
Post #2

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

Here is a list of stuff I would recommend - I doubt you can see all of it.

I don't know LA very well, but it's fun to see the chinese theatre, and there are some great art museums if you are in to that. The Getty is fantastic, probably more interesting for the architecture and design of the museum than the pieces it houses (if you've been to an english stately home, you've seen a lot of it before!)

Moving up the coast, if you are going to drive from LA to SF, you should visit the former home of William Randolf Hearst - known as Heart Castle. It is a magical and wierd place; he collected lots of historical artifacts from all over the world and made a house decorated with them (and designed with them in mind).

Once you are there, you should drive the Pacific Coast Highway from there up to Carmel and Monterey, and take a look around. Carmel is a pretty little redwoody town with nice shops and restaurants. In Monterey bay is a super deeeeeep ocean trench (it's almost as deep as the hell hole) so the aquarium there has lots of really interesting and wierd pacific sea life.

I then recommend visiting Santa Cruz (which I recently learned is where the Lost Boys was filmed :-) ).

After Santa Cruz, I would visit the Bonny Doon vineyard (famous for their desert wine "Vin de Glaciere" and other wierd wines, including their Fromboise) in the Santa Cruz hills, and then the David Bruce (Famous for Pinot Noir) winery, followed by a jaunt up skyline drive - take woodside to 101 and you can visit Rich Bontempi, and Brad at High Performance House before tearing up to San Fran on either 280 or the PCH. The PCH will take you past Half Moon Bay (pretty sea town), and Mavericks (home of big wave surfing), and more yummy twisty roads.

I have a variant of the 49 mile drive (tour of san francisco) that I usually take out of towners on which goes via Lombard Street, the painted ladies, twin peaks, castro street, etc, etc, which I can take you on when you are in the city. I would look for a travellodge - which is where my parents stayed when in town. The cost issue will be eased by the US's beleagered currency situation.

I also recommend spending a day in wine country (I usually head for northern sonoma, which has more boutiqey wineries that are cheaper and less annoyingly pretensious than the napa lot, but napa is worth seeing too).

Yosimite. Drive there at night and stay in their hotel thingo (not the expensive one). Wake up in the morning and be shocked because you are staring at a 7000 foot rock face. Definately worth a trip, but I haven't been there in winter, it can get hairy up in the sierras when there's snow about.

Lake Tahoe is similarly beautiful, scenery-wise, and worth a trip. Due to the fact that it is pissing down outside, it should have some great power skiing in a few days - if you like to ski....

As for 914 places, my route north takes a lot of good roads, there are some great roads in the East Bay, and also up north towards Napa. The roads here are pretty good, very very twisty, but generally fairly rough surfaces. If you want a truly excellent road, head to Aberystwyth via the Elan Valley.

I'll post again if I remember anything else. Let me know when you are here and we can hang out. (I am also a brit, btw).
+Quote Post
FlatSix
post Feb 2 2004, 04:05 PM
Post #3

English Member

fiid, what a fantastic reply. Thank you. I'm so looking forward to my trip now.

With the time constraints I have, I think I'll only have time for the coastal stuff you mention. There seems to be some quality things to see on the trip up the Pacific Coast Highway.

Can we organise a 914Club get together, say on the evening of Wednesday 11th? I should be up to San Francisco by then. I'll buy the first round. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
I'll have to take your advice on location. It would be so good to actually meet some other 914Club members.

Andy
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 2 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Hey Andy........

We are always up for an "excuse" to hang out at Hooters in SF (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
FlatSix
post Feb 2 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #5

English Member

If it wasn't for this board, I wouldn't have known about Hooters.

Can we all meet there, PLEASE?

As I said, I'll buy the first round (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 2 2004, 04:44 PM
Post #6

I can totally spend an eveing at hooters again - in fact Jenny and I were talking on the weekend about the need to do another evening event there. I am totally down with a Wednesday night. I might even bring my car.... :-)

l8r,

Fiid.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Feb 2 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Hooters it is. Wed. the 11th. We will nail this when it gets closer. I just put a reminder in Outlook.

B
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 2 2004, 05:21 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 2 2004, 02:59 PM)
Hooters it is.

mhmmmm, Hoooters ....

i should be able to make it,
Andy
+Quote Post
aufaber
post Feb 2 2004, 06:07 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 525

For us it's getting kinda cold and wet this next week, but it'll be like english spring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) .

Definately at Highway 1 (PCH) all the way up, at least from Santa Monica. Hs a few detours through towns, but it's a nice drive if you haven't done it. It'll also take all day.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 2 2004, 06:23 PM
Post #10

Chyeah! We tried to do hearst castle and Monterey Aquarium in a day. NFWay!. W got to heard castle at 2:00 or so and got on the last tour of the day. Got to Carmel at about 7 for dinner and didn't get home until 10/11. I would plan on 2 or 3 days to do the trip and take in the sights.

If you get pulled over, use your english drivers license. Beware - the california cops are single-handedly trying to make up for our budget deficit, so really keep the speed down. I have never seen cops on the PCH, but I did see a Highway Patrol car on Woodside the other day, so it may be hapenning. Watch out.

OH! And get travel insurance in the UK. It ought to cover your healthcare here in the US in case anything unexpected happens.

Fiid.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 2 2004, 06:50 PM
Post #11

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Where should I stay in San Francisco (there is a budget!)

I "Priceline" San Mateo and get the San Mateo Marriott everytime. $55.00!!

Did the same in Lake Tahoe and got Cal-Neva for $65.00

I'll be in San Mateo the 8th through the 11th.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 2 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #12

PMB Performance

It'll also take all day.

No way... it takes two otherwise you're hate'n it. Especially from LA. I left there way early in the am and made it to Monterey around 9:00-9:30. Missed a bunch of cool stuff (Big Sir) driving around cool 30mph curves IN THE DARK! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

There's some cool hotels just past the castle (if'n I recall) that are perched on the cliffs. Some Cali's here could probably name a few. (I'd be interested for future reference)

My $.02 Hope it helps. Maybe I'll see you there.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Feb 2 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Eric,

Can you make the Hooters event that night ?? Its about 20 minutes north of San Mateo. Make sure you stop by and see us, we are located 10 minutes from San Mateo.

B
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 2 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #14

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Look REALLY close at the SF Hooter's gals....you NEVER can be too sure it has the right plumbing.....

Hey Brad....find that targa top piece?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 2 2004, 06:59 PM
Post #15

PMB Performance

I'm going to try. I'll be working and doing client dinners most of the nights. Right now my Sunday is "VERY" open. I'll get in around 1-1:30? I'll be looking for the teener in the Taxi line outside SFO (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

I'm going to shoot for Hooters on Wed... I heard the food there was great!
+Quote Post
FlatSix
post Feb 3 2004, 08:36 AM
Post #16

English Member

I "Priceline" San Mateo and get the San Mateo Marriott everytime. $55.00!!

Eric,

When using priceline do you select a 3 or 4 star hotel to get the Marriott?
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Feb 3 2004, 08:59 AM
Post #17

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 288

Where will you be in San Diego? Maybe a few of us can get together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 3 2004, 09:15 AM
Post #18

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I use Orbitz and Sidestep to get the best internet prices. Last year, we stayed downtown in a decent Hotel for $75 a night. Close to everything, walked to Chinatown (you have to see that) grabed a literail train to the Waterfront...
Get your rental car setup online too as its cheaper than just showing up at the desk.

I think the food is pretty bad at HOOters but the view is excellent! Ah hell, you are from England so you will love it.

Geoff

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Feb 3 2004, 12:10 PM
Post #19

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Yamashiro Restaurant in Hollywood

You can get passes to Magic Castle if you stay at the Magic Hotel

PM me if you have any interest in the above mentioned links!

Jeff
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 3 2004, 01:35 PM
Post #20

PMB Performance

When using priceline do you select a 3 or 4 star hotel to get the Marriott?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 04:30 PM