Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> M.S.D Box, good or bad
6freak
post Feb 5 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #1

MR.C

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have one in the shop..the ? is is it worth the effort to install ,where the best place,and is it hard to do ..mind you I`m electrically challenged so be gental
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 5 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I have one in my 914 and my 240Z. If you have it, I would go ahead and use it. Jake Raby doesn't like them and uses Mallory ignition boxes on carb cars He has had failures and he just doesn't tolerate failure. I think he would even say to use it since you have it though...
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Feb 5 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #3

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

I've used a MSD for years and like it. Some will say they like them and some will not. I use a 6AL. It has an adjustable rpm chip slot. A chip kit for example goes from 6,000 to 7,000 in increments of 200 rpm. (6,000, 6,200, 6,400 and so on).
It gets an incoming signal from the points or electronic pickup, depending on which dist. you have. Two wires go to the coil. It is easy to connect and mount. I mounted it in the engine compartment on my last 914-6. On my current project six, I'm mounting it behind the passenger's seat as seen in the pic. I would suggest if you use one that you match it with the MSD Blaster coil, use 7 or 8mm wires, and gap the plugs to 32-36 range. You may have to also use one of their tach adaptor. If you are using a points type dist., you may want to use a Petronix Ignitor or other electronic points replacing device.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 5 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #4

MR.C

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Feb 5 2009, 12:39 PM) *

I've used a MSD for years and like it. Some will say they like them and some will not. I use a 6AL. It has an adjustable rpm chip slot. A chip kit for example goes from 6,000 to 7,000 in increments of 200 rpm. (6,000, 6,200, 6,400 and so on).
It gets an incoming signal from the points or electronic pickup, depending on which dist. you have. Two wires go to the coil. It is easy to connect and mount. I mounted it in the engine compartment on my last 914-6. On my current project six, I'm mounting it behind the passenger's seat as seen in the pic. I would suggest if you use one that you match it with the MSD Blaster coil, use 7 or 8mm wires, and gap the plugs to 32-36 range. You may have to also use one of their tach adaptor. If you are using a points type dist., you may want to use a Petronix Ignitor or other electronic points replacing device.

Thanks Dodger Im think`n i mite just try it....JT914-6.the distributer is stock but i do have 8mm wires and i think the coil is a blaster but not for sure I will check,behind the seat is out of the question it will have to be front trunk(long wires) or engine bay but i heard it has to be a relatively cool spot ..I dont have many options tough..plug gap is not a issue and does the tach wire hock up in the engine bay.I will have more info about the one i have on monday but the 6al # rings a bell
thanks for your help
Mike
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Feb 5 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #5

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've been using them since he 80's and have never had a problem.
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Feb 5 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

Mike,
I had the MSD box mounted in the engine compartment near the top so the fan would pull fresh air across it and never had a heat problem. The reason I mounted it behind the seat in the project is to unclutter the engine bay and have it in a cooler (temp) location. Just had to run pickup wires from dist. and two wires to the coil through the firewall. DO NOT mount it in the front trunk. There is no reason to. If anything, the rear trunk would be a second option to the engine bay mount.
+Quote Post
johnnie5
post Feb 5 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #7

914 lover

Member No.: 9,644
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Feb 5 2009, 01:43 PM) *

Mike,
I had the MSD box mounted in the engine compartment near the top so the fan would pull fresh air across it and never had a heat problem. The reason I mounted it behind the seat in the project is to unclutter the engine bay and have it in a cooler (temp) location. Just had to run pickup wires from dist. and two wires to the coil through the firewall. DO NOT mount it in the front trunk. There is no reason to. If anything, the rear trunk would be a second option to the engine bay mount.

I went with the rear trunk for mounting location

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 5 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #8

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I use the MSD 6 al, MDS High Vibration coil, 8.5mm Magnecore wires, Petronix & NKG plugs gapped to .045. Bout 8 years now.....
The unit seems happy there on the right.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 6 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #9

MR.C

Both locations seem do`able for my car.The PO is coming over this Sunday to help me with pulling some trim pieces and the oil tank(go`n to the restoration shop)rear bumper and such..I will have him give me a hand with installing or at least get his point of view as well

other ideas welcome

Thanks for everyones help
Mike
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 6 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #10

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I used the same mounting spot as Johnnie5 in the rear trunk against the engine bulkhead. I used a MSD6AL though. The limiting feature allows me to give the keys to my kid and let him drive it. I suspect with that 3000RPM limit he cannot get into too much trouble! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 6 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #11

MR.C

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 6 2009, 07:36 AM) *

I used the same mounting spot as Johnnie5 in the rear trunk against the engine bulkhead. I used a MSD6AL though. The limiting feature allows me to give the keys to my kid and let him drive it. I suspect with that 3000RPM limit he cannot get into too much trouble! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I do like that spot! looks clean ..but very little air flow if any.My car get pretty warm in the rear trunk! i take it you have not had any issues with it there.The only #`s i could read on my box are seriel#4101 and part#6240? maybe#6246
+Quote Post
cobra94563
post Feb 6 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #12

Chris

Member No.: 3,696

I had one give out.. but it was like 20+ years and on it's 3rd car.
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Feb 6 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #13

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590

Very happy with it, (but its new and only has , like, 20 minutes on it). I used the blaster coil and mounted both on the fire wall - oposite each other.

easy access!

Attached Image

sorry 'bout the quality of the pic - its what I had here at the office...
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 6 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

What do you think you will gain over the stock CD box ?
How can you stand to modify your factory 914-6 ?

This is your conscience speaking
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 6 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #15

MR.C

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 6 2009, 08:54 AM) *

What do you think you will gain over the stock CD box ?
How can you stand to modify your factory 914-6 ?

This is your conscience speaking

I dont really know what i will gain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) But i have this felling your going to tell me nothing.so i`m guess`n you would not do it..Maybe sell the thing to help offset the cost of the repair and paint ?I`m listening...Maybe i didnt make it clear to other folks that it was a factory 6
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 6 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #16

MR.C

QUOTE(BKLA @ Feb 6 2009, 08:41 AM) *

Very happy with it, (but its new and only has , like, 20 minutes on it). I used the blaster coil and mounted both on the fire wall - oposite each other.

easy access!

Attached Image

sorry 'bout the quality of the pic - its what I had here at the office...

My coil is NOT a blaster if they all look like that .Mine is the round kind mounted on the fan shroud stock look`n but red
+Quote Post
charliew
post Feb 6 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

These engine bays are too pretty to be in running cars. If you guys drive these cars how much driving time versus cleaning time do you have. If it's like a harley it's 1 hour drive 4hours clean.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 6 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #18

Irrelevant old fart

When I had a 2.4L T (carbed) motor in my car, it ran fine with the standard CD ignition.
That went away with the 2.7L hot rod motor. I could not get it to run right......after about 6 months of trying I went with the MSD set up and all was well with the world.
I can see no advantage with the MSD unless you're having rough running/plug fouling.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 6 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #19

MR.C

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 6 2009, 11:50 AM) *

When I had a 2.4L T (carbed) motor in my car, it ran fine with the standard CD ignition.
That went away with the 2.7L hot rod motor. I could not get it to run right......after about 6 months of trying I went with the MSD set up and all was well with the world.
I can see no advantage with the MSD unless you're having rough running/plug fouling.

runs rough when its cold (pop`n and cough`n)because no choke??right....warm it runs great and no plug fouling..... thanks JP Thats two people say`n dont go that route i think, starting to lean towards not doing it
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 6 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Irrelevant old fart

They all run shitty for the first minute or 2....or 5. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th June 2024 - 12:22 AM