Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Charcoal Recirc Canister, ??????Location????????
76-914
post Mar 21 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

My 76 914 came with the canister (albeit connected)just laying on top of the engine, yet it has a clamp around it. Where and what does it bolt to? The clamp does not have a captive nut for the bolt to thread into so where is the tap for the bolt on the clamp.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Mar 21 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

If memory serves it's in the drivers side front wheel well.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 22 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #3

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Here you go. Its was on the gas tank 1970-late74, moved the the pass. side rear wall of the engine bay in late 74-75, then to the edge of the battery tray for 1976.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TC Johnson
post Aug 18 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,321
Region Association: None

I am resurecting this old thread to ask an additional question.

Since I am removing the air pump and all associated lines from my '76, what should be done with the hose to the charcoal canister that brought air from the pump? I can find a plug for the canister so it is closed up. Is having the small vent hose to the engine sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
+Quote Post
type47
post Aug 18 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #5

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

On my '74 with the canister in the front, a cloth braided hose from a port on the fan housing, I presume to transfer some air pressure, went from the passenger side of the fan housing, then back under the relay board then along the rocker under the drivers door then into the front trunk to the canister. I think then another hose retraced the same path back to the engine compartment and connected to the air filter housing. Maybe your fan housing has a port and you could connect to pressure the canister and exit/vent to the air filter housing. (If I recall correctly...)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 18 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(TC Johnson @ Aug 18 2011, 11:38 AM) *

Since I am removing the air pump and all associated lines from my '76, what should be done with the hose to the charcoal canister that brought air from the pump?

I don't think the hose was supposed to bring air from the smog pump to the canister. There should be a hose either from the side of the fan shroud, or from the side of the engine tin, to the one side of the canister. Then a hose from the other side of the canister goes to the air cleaner so the excess fuel vapor can be burned. There is a little hose that comes from the fuel tank "expansion tank" (the extra chamber on top of the fuel tank), runs through the center tunnel, then connects to one side or the other of the canister.

That's for late-74 and later 914s. The earlier ones are as described by Type47 above.

To the OP: Plumb the canister correctly. It doesn't cost you anything (other than a couple of ounces of weight) and it can help make sure you don't have a fuel smell in the car. And it cuts down on air pollution; it's a win all around!

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 04:59 AM