Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SS fuel line install questions
bobhasissues
post Jun 10 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #1

seemingly endless issues with my 914

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,532
Region Association: None

Preparing to install the CFR 3/8" SS fuel line in my carbed '73. I will only be installing the single line for the carbs, so what is the best way to terminate the return line nipple coming off the gas tank? Do I tie both nipples together with a "Y" or "T" connector, or is it best to just block off the return nipple? Either way, what hardware works best?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 10 2009, 09:35 AM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Jun 10 2009, 10:30 AM) *

Preparing to install the CFR 3/8" SS fuel line in my carbed '73. I will only be installing the single line for the carbs, so what is the best way to terminate the return line nipple coming off the gas tank? Do I tie both nipples together with a "Y" or "T" connector, or is it best to just block off the return nipple? Either way, what hardware works best?

I blocked my extra one with a rubber terminating nipple, tightened with a metal clamp.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 10 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 10 2009, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Jun 10 2009, 10:30 AM) *

I blocked my extra one with a rubber terminating nipple, tightened with a metal clamp.

You'd best make plans to inspect that "rubber terminating nipple" on a regular basis, as many types of rubber don't do well with modern fuels. I would have used a piece of 7.5mm fuel hose, 2 FI hose clamps, and a piece of 8mm round stock. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 10 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #4

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792

will do... 3 years since I did that, no leak yet. it's supposed to be a fuel terminator, I got it from flaps...

the first one tho was just a generic rubber one, and it did rot almost immediately... the fuel broke it down.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 10 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #5

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

The salesman at the FLAPS, were his lips moving? You know the rest .......

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
topatrout914
post Jun 10 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #6

Trout

Member No.: 7,034
Region Association: South East States

I cut the side out of an empty qurt oil container, its made from hdpe which resists hydrocarbons. remove the large nut that retains the nipple and use the backside as a template and cut a piece of hdpe and put it between the tank and nipple and tighten the nut back on. It has been OK for the last two years with no leak.
+Quote Post
bobhasissues
post Jun 10 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #7

seemingly endless issues with my 914

Member No.: 7,532

QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Jun 10 2009, 07:30 AM) *

I thought over the years someone may have found a 2 in 1 out fuel filter that would work well to tie both nipples into one.
+Quote Post
Shade Tree
post Jun 10 2009, 01:12 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,860
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Jun 10 2009, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Jun 10 2009, 07:30 AM) *

I thought over the years someone may have found a 2 in 1 out fuel filter that would work well to tie both nipples into one.

I may not be catching this properly, but, if you mean that you want to tie the return line to the feed line, I'd say don't do it. Just plug the return line off. You'll suck all the crud from your tank in to your filter and carbs. There is a screen on the feed line.
Rich.
+Quote Post
KevinP
post Jun 10 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,127

I think that I would terminate it in an AN-fitting with a cap. Cheap to do, and it looks professional! I like the safety of this also!!!!

My .02 cents...

KP
+Quote Post
neil30076
post Jun 10 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #10

Recovering dismantler!

Member No.: 6,826

Just installed my SS line from Chris. Not difficult, but get the rear of the car high enough before you start. Harder part was getting the pump lines the right length under the tank, capped off the return just like the cap'n said - that was the easiest part.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jun 10 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #11

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(neil30076 @ Jun 10 2009, 04:55 PM) *

Just installed my SS line from Chris. Not difficult, but get the rear of the car high enough before you start. Harder part was getting the pump lines the right length under the tank, capped off the return just like the cap'n said - that was the easiest part.

Was this done with the motor still in ?
+Quote Post
ejm
post Jun 11 2009, 05:27 AM
Post #12

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 10 2009, 09:55 PM) *

No need to remove the engine. With the old lines out the stainless ones take only minutes to install. Some people remove the r/r wheel for clearance when starting the angled front part of the line into the chassis.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
neil30076
post Jun 11 2009, 10:24 AM
Post #13

Recovering dismantler!

Member No.: 6,826

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 10 2009, 06:55 PM) *

Yes, and relatively easy - removing right wheel makes it easier - took about 15 minutes to get installed without an assistant, rmember to use air to blow out the line after install, i'll guarantee the end cap will fall off and it will pick up crud from the tiunnel.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:56 PM