Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Shift Rod adjustment
luvatenor
post Dec 22 2009, 04:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,154
Region Association: None

Another newbie question-In adjusting the shift rod, after installing new bushings, many people say to go to the transmission end and put the transmission in either 2nd or 3rd gear, before tightening the shift lever crimp bolt. How does one know where these gears are at the transmission? Everything looks the same when I move the lever.-Thanks Rolf
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 3)
etcmss
post Dec 22 2009, 06:20 AM
Post #2

etcmss

Member No.: 5,899
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(luvatenor @ Dec 22 2009, 04:04 AM) *

Another newbie question-In adjusting the shift rod, after installing new bushings, many people say to go to the transmission end and put the transmission in either 2nd or 3rd gear, before tightening the shift lever crimp bolt. How does one know where these gears are at the transmission? Everything looks the same when I move the lever.-Thanks Rolf

Do you have the linkage installed?
With the linkage installed---select 2nd or 3rd gear and adjust for vertical alignment of shifter and the clearance on each side is OK. Tighten the bolt on the shifter and then select 4th or 5th then reverse-1st----no impact to tunnel.

If you go the search options at the top of the page----put in shift adjustment----you will find this subject--
I had this one a while back and it was shifter hitting the tuneel.
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Dec 22 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,351

I found it helpful to remove the rear tunnel access panel, grab a 13mm socket with extension and a pair of vice grips and go for a drive. Using the vicegrips to hold the rod rod in place thru the access panel, you can loosen the pinch bolt, adjust the shifter, tighten, and drive. Usually after 3-4 adjustments, I've got it perfect.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 22 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Check out this thread. In particular, post #6

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80530&

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:16 PM